Addicted to oatmeal?

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I want your pancake recipe! I have oat flour on hand, it's my preferred gluten free flour of choice.

I'm making shortbread with it for Christmas. FTR, original Scottish shortbread was made with oat flour!
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Peachy, I need your shortbread recipe like I need air!
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Here you go, J!

Use Kerry Gold. I think I'm going to brown the butter when I make it this year for a little extra something.

http://blog.kathrynmcgowan.com/2010/06/07/scottish-shortbread-gluten-free-baking-ahead-of-its-time/
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Okay, I couldn't wait! haha! I had dark chocolate oatmeal for lunch. I mixed in sections of clementine for one of my favorite pairings - chocolate and orange. I think I need to tweak it a little (I only used oats, water and dark cocoa powder), but it was still really good. I think adding some diary would have upped the flavor of the chocolate.
  • jenniator
    jenniator Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »
    Okay, I couldn't wait! haha! I had dark chocolate oatmeal for lunch. I mixed in sections of clementine for one of my favorite pairings - chocolate and orange. I think I need to tweak it a little (I only used oats, water and dark cocoa powder), but it was still really good. I think adding some diary would have upped the flavor of the chocolate.

ha ha awesome :D!! I'm glad you liked it! Chocolate and orange is a great combination. I always add milk with it and it makes it more creamier and richer I think! :) I also add a little sugar so it's not as bitter.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    I've eaten oatmeal for so long im tired of it but have found another way to enjoy it and get the nutrition it provides. I grind it to a flour, make a pancake batter with it and whey protein. I make Churro flavored oat flour and whey protein pancakes. Soooo yummy! Just had some. 270 calories, 30 grams protein and a large quantity of pancakes.

Sounds really good, but I am wondering what churro-flavored means. :) Cinnamon?
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    I've eaten oatmeal for so long im tired of it but have found another way to enjoy it and get the nutrition it provides. I grind it to a flour, make a pancake batter with it and whey protein. I make Churro flavored oat flour and whey protein pancakes. Soooo yummy! Just had some. 270 calories, 30 grams protein and a large quantity of pancakes.

Sounds really good, but I am wondering what churro-flavored means. :) Cinnamon?

Yeah, cinnamon, vanilla extract and a little nutmeg
  • Terri2874
    Terri2874 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem! I HATE the texture of oatmeal....but I'm trying to convince myself to keep trying because it's so good for you. There has to be a good recipe somewhere!
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem! I HATE the texture of oatmeal....but I'm trying to convince myself to keep trying because it's so good for you. There has to be a good recipe somewhere!

I like it less "gloopy" too - here's what I do:

Steel cut instead of old-fashioned.
    Use a saute pan instead of a pot.
    Use a little less water than in most recipes.
    Flavor it up with cinnamon and ginger.
    Stir it up. It'll be distinctly less oatmealy

Also:
    Grind up the oatmeal to a flour.
    Dump it in a bowl and add a little water while mixing at a time till you get a dough.

Now you have a tortilla dough! Break off pieces, roll 'em flat and toss them into a hot, dry pan to cook up on both sides.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

I hate the texture too so I add extra water and cook it for a really long time - like two hours on the lowest setting. (For a gas stove you'd probably need a heat defuser.)
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    ejbronte wrote: »

I like it less "gloopy" too - here's what I do:

Steel cut instead of old-fashioned.
    Use a saute pan instead of a pot.
    Use a little less water than in most recipes.
    Flavor it up with cinnamon and ginger.
    Stir it up. It'll be distinctly less oatmealy

Also:
    Grind up the oatmeal to a flour.
    Dump it in a bowl and add a little water while mixing at a time till you get a dough.

Now you have a tortilla dough! Break off pieces, roll 'em flat and toss them into a hot, dry pan to cook up on both sides.

Saving this, sounds so good!
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I love Chex Gluten free oatmeal and have it everyday at work in the morning. Too bad I'll have to find another Gluten free brand because GM has stopped making their GF oatmeal.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Try looking up baked oatmeal recipes. They're more cake-like.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    I love Chex Gluten free oatmeal and have it everyday at work in the morning. Too bad I'll have to find another Gluten free brand because GM has stopped making their GF oatmeal.

Bob's Red Mill has gluten free oats in quick, rolled, and steel-cut, and if you like instant packets, I recently saw Quaker had GF oats.

If you're near a Trader Joe's, they also have GF rolled oats.

• triddering
    triddering Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I love pecans in maple brown sugar oatmeal! And I have found trivia brown sugar, which is stevia with molasses, so less calories!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

Look for "baked oatmeal" recipes -- baked in the same kind of pan you might use for lasagna with rolled oats and milk and eggs and some fruit usually. You keep it in the fridge and cut up bars or slices :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    @betuel75 could you share your pancake recipe?
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Long as it is within your goal of nutrition and calories, oatmeal is good for you. Enjoy it!
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I don't understand this, and never will, but people I work with are the same way! It is like no other breakfast food ever existed! I can't tolerate oats at this point but even when I could, it was not high on my priority list.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    I don't understand this, and never will, but people I work with are the same way! It is like no other breakfast food ever existed! I can't tolerate oats at this point but even when I could, it was not high on my priority list.

It's all about preference. I only discovered oats 2 years ago and now can't get enough. I don't associate it with breakfast because I didn't grow up with it, so I have it for any meal whenever I feel like it, and it feels like having dessert for dinner... makes the child in me so happy.

One of our local restaurants has a good breakfast menu that includes oats, so whenever we plan on going I make reservations in advance to let them know that oatmeal will be specially prepared for me outside of breakfast time. Everyone orders various meats and steaks for dinner while I happily indulge in oatmeal.