Pancake Substitution Recipes

Options
I love pancakes but there's so many unnecessary fillers, sugars, and carbs in them. Not to mention, the syrup! Does anyone know pancake substitution recipes? I'm allergic to bananas so I can't do those banana pancakes either.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I don't count flour or baking soda as fillers.

I have a pumpkin protein pancake made with oat flour, pumpkin purée, protein powder, cinnamon, egg, and stevia.

I serve it with frozen fruit and Greek yogurt.
  • DesOdhi
    DesOdhi Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I probably should have clarified. I'm trying to stay away from white flour and pancake mix. It's a filler to me b/c all of the nutrients are basically stripped in white flour and sugar is always added to the boxed mixes. I've heard oat or almond flour was a healthier substitute though. I'll try your pumpkin pancake b/c it sounds great.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I like the protein Kodiak pancake mix. I don't eat many white refined flours so I think of it as just sort of a treat. The protein part makes it a more effective breakfast for me because with regular pancakes I'm gnawing on my arm with hunger in an hour! hahaha
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Quest has a few recipes for pancakes using their protein powers and various flours (almond and coconut IIRC). They have a lot better macronutrient profile to them, but definitely not as fluffy as regular pancakes.

But generally, eggs (or associated omelets) are my go to breakfast on the weekends. During the week, it's either oatmeal with protein powder, raisins and cinnamon or a P28 protein bagel with peanut butter.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I use one that makes a flatter pancake, more of a crepe, but we love it...

6oz Philly 1/3 less fat cream cheese
    5 large eggs
    2oz Fairlife 2%
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder (we're using Body Fortress right now)

Let the cream cheese come to room temperature, then mix it all together until smooth and cook on a hot griddle. I get 8 pancakes out of the above recipe.

cals:140
    carbs: 1
    fibre: 0
    protein: 10
    fat: 11

These keep for about a week in the fridge, 3 months in the freezer, and they freeze/thaw very easily and quickly.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I second Kodiak mixes.. they use whole grains. Honestly haven't found any other pancake substitute that is actually satisfying when I crave pancakes.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    We have been making the same buttermilk pancake recipe for yrs now. We got the recipe from a weight watchers cookbook. It is delicious and I wouldn't want it any other way. I also don't use syrup though. Just butter. Syrup is too sweet to me.
  • fitExploror
    fitExploror Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Have you tried protein pancakes?
  • jgnatca
    Options
    When I make a pancake with no wheat flour at all I find it very delicate and hard to flip. Even 1/4 cup white flour added to any flour you might use (oat, almond, etc.) will give you a more satisfying product.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    If syrup seems too sweet, try the mountain fruit company fruit sauces. No sugar, fruit only. The flavors are perfection! I love the Marrionberry, strawberry and apricot. Delicious warmed & smeared on hot Kodiak pancakes.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Look up recipes for cottage cheese pancakes or ricotta pancakes. Very tasty, great texture, more protein. Yes, they use some flour. You could substitute oat flour or whole wheat flour if that bothers you. It might be that almond flour would work, too but that would be an experiment.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    If syrup seems too sweet, try the mountain fruit company fruit sauces. No sugar, fruit only. The flavors are perfection! I love the Marrionberry, strawberry and apricot. Delicious warmed & smeared on hot Kodiak pancakes.

Interesting. I will check these out. I usually just use jam on mine. Peanut butter and jam is great on pancakes.
  • DesOdhi
    Options

That sounds great, where do you pick this sauce up at.
  • DesOdhi
    Options
    Have you tried protein pancakes?

No, not yet, because I usually get lean protein drinks instead of the powder.
  • DesOdhi
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I second Kodiak mixes.. they use whole grains. Honestly haven't found any other pancake substitute that is actually satisfying when I crave pancakes.

Can I find this at a Wal-Mart in the pancake isle, or is it found at a food / health store?
  • jgnatca
    Options
    You might try making your own sauce, say, from dried fruit or berries in season. Super easy to do.

Here's a recipe with berries. Simply skip adding the sugar.
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/red-berry-sauce-51107890

This spicy chutney would have an unforgettable flavour but you could also make it without added sugar. The raisins are sweet enough.

http://calraisins.org/recipe/apple-raisin-chutney/

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Destinyy wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »

Can I find this at a Wal-Mart in the pancake isle, or is it found at a food / health store?

Target carries it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Look up recipes for cottage cheese pancakes or ricotta pancakes. Very tasty, great texture, more protein. Yes, they use some flour. You could substitute oat flour or whole wheat flour if that bothers you. It might be that almond flour would work, too but that would be an experiment.

Here's the cottage cheese pancake recipe I use: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/fluffy-cottage-cheese-pancakes

For one serving, I quarter the recipe and make one giant pancake. @Destinyy -you could use whole wheat flour. If not using wheat flour, it will be harder to flip so I suggest smaller pancakes.

I added 1 ounce of mulberries and 3/4 ounce of chopped walnuts.

What I do to reduce syrup is not add it until I have eaten at least half. These are fairly sweet on their own, and towards the end I added 7 grams of honey (about a teaspoon.)

That kind of pancake makes me sleepy so I save it for the end of the day/special treat. For breakfast, I make "pancakes" with grated sweet potatoes, broccoli and onions, and eggs and 1 T flour.

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options

I don't like fruit in and on stuff. So butter is good enough for me.