Gave up Coffee

Options
13»

Replies

• LUHAN27
    LUHAN27 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    When I started working out/counting calories, I gave up coffee until today. Today I drunk coffee with low-calorie skim milk, no sugar. I feel like I had alot of energy haha
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Life without coffee isn't worth living. I drink it black. Have for years. Without coffee, I would just have to jump off a bridge.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Now that the research indicates that coffee drinkers live longer, I have no qualms about continuing drinking fresh ground and brewed coffee every morning with modest amounts of powdered creamer and Splenda. I've been at my goal weight for 3 years. In fact, I think coffee curbs my appetite. And it's so delicious.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    If I drink it then stop I get a splitting headache....so now I don't drink it.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    Once upon a time, when the earth was young ...

I drank roughly 15 cups of coffee a day. Black, of course, I've never had my coffee with stuff in it.

Unfortunately, I started to develop rather severe migraines and other unpleasant symptoms, and the suggestion was made the perhaps I might consider cutting back on the coffee.

So I quit cold turkey. That first week I was miserable! But by the third week I felt all right. Then I resumed drinking coffee but since then I've never had more than about 5 cups a day, and quite often only 2 or 3.

I have no desire to quite drinking coffee again. :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Well I'm the opposite of pretty well everyone here! I used to drink black coffee, several cups a day, enjoyed fancy coffees too, I really think I over drank it if that's even possible....but I loved it. One day I just felt like I had had enough coffee. I felt a little toxic. So I quit. I've not had a drop since! That was about 18 years ago!!! It was a little weird at first, and I got brutal headaches for 2-3 days but after that I felt so much better. I switched to drinking hot water-perfectly boiled hot water and will never go back to coffee, I still like the smell of fresh brewed coffee but don't miss the dependency or the toxicity.

What "toxins" are in coffee?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Well I'm the opposite of pretty well everyone here! I used to drink black coffee, several cups a day, enjoyed fancy coffees too, I really think I over drank it if that's even possible....but I loved it. One day I just felt like I had had enough coffee. I felt a little toxic. So I quit. I've not had a drop since! That was about 18 years ago!!! It was a little weird at first, and I got brutal headaches for 2-3 days but after that I felt so much better. I switched to drinking hot water-perfectly boiled hot water and will never go back to coffee, I still like the smell of fresh brewed coffee but don't miss the dependency or the toxicity.

Dunkin donuts coffee has toxins as far as I know. :#
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Dunkin donuts coffee has toxins as far as I know. :#

I've always been convinced it was Starbucks that had teh toxinzzz. Nastiest tasting coffee I've ever had.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Just one. With cream. EVERYDAY. Need to jump start the brain!
  • TxLisa251
    TxLisa251 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I LOVE coffee, but I love it with cream...especially hazelnut. I used to drink 3 cups per day. Now, I just have 1 cup in the morning with low fat hazelnut cream and Splenda. If I need more caffeine or something warm, I drink lemon green tea. I really like the tea, but it's not coffee.
  • DebinMelbourne
    DebinMelbourne Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I will never give up coffee. I have probably 3 to 4 a day, and what we call a large skinny flat white, extra hot: espresso shot, a little water, and half the cup filled with hot skim milk. No sugar. I make most of them at home or at work, and probably only buy one coffee a week away from home.

I did quit coffee once before a trip to Thailand, because I thought they would have crappy coffee and I didn't want to go through caffeine withdrawals there. Lo and behold, I didn't go through caffeine withdrawal at all; no headaches, no nothing. So I can't see why I can't drink coffee for ever.
  • rbee2015
    rbee2015 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    ❤️❤️❤️☕️....will never give it up
  • bright_fit
    bright_fit Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Giving up coffee is one of the most important steps I be made to help feel more balanced and reduce cravings.

And I was a TOTAL CAFFEINE ADDICT. At least a cup or two or eight (in the worst times) Even taking caffeine pills sometimes.

Caffeine raises your cortisol levels and increases anxiety. For me a lot of overeating is caused by feeling anxious or nervous and trying to calm it with a food high or a sugar coma (though unconsciously). Feeling more balanced makes me have less nervous periods and I don't have big spikes and drops in blood sugar like before.

You will also sleep better - even after 2 weeks off the stuff I start to feel super energized in the morning. Waking up at 6am to no alarm when my norm is barely getting up at 8 with an alarm set!!No sluggishness in the morning that might also effect diet.

I can't recommend this tip enough! I thought coffee was making me work faster but it really just makes me anxious and harder to focus on one thing, feeling overwhelmed and overeating.

Wean yourself off. I tried starting with half caff half decaf and worked my way down. Maybe you'll need to do 75%+25% and after a week take it down a notch. Don't quit overnight you'll get headaches and crave too much. When you wean down you really realize the effects it has as a drug and it might not be as helpful a drug as you thought it was.

Cheers good luck!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    If coffee is making YOU anxious, sluggish, stopping you sleeping, then fine, give it up.

It does none of those things to me so have no intention of changing.
  • Yivs_87
    Yivs_87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee black. As my soul.
    And even though there are days and weeks when I just don't want it and need, there are days and weeks when I engulf up to 1-2 liters of amazingly strong black coffee >:)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I drink black coffee. 4-5 cups per day. I cannot think of a single reason to give it up.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    If coffee is making YOU anxious, sluggish, stopping you sleeping, then fine, give it up.

It does none of those things to me so have no intention of changing.

I agree. It was affecting me adversely so I gave it up, then reintroduced a limited amount. I would never tell anyone that they had to give it up, but I might encourage someone who has the same symptoms I had to cut down a bit or switch to decaf. Life is too short to get all up in arms about someone else's coffee (although I agree that Charbucks is the most likely to have toxinzz. That stuff is way over roasted)
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I fill my half gallon thermos with coffee in the morning and drink it all by the end of the day. I don't bother to log the calories, I only use one spoon of sugar and no cream for the entire half gallon.