Today, started goal of losing 167 lbs in 1 yr...I got this!!!

Options

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    1lb at a time, you can lose the weight that has been holding you back :)
  • mousie1973
    mousie1973 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    The only thing i can say is just remember... that you will not likely lose 3.2 pounds per week every week for a year. Weight loss is not linear and sometimes if you lose too quickly, the weightloss will stall to let your body sort of "catch up" ... I admire your ambition, but just be careful that you are not tooo ambitious and get disappointed if you don't hit all of your goals. the best way is 1 pound at a time and 1 day at a time.
  • Marvel150
    Marvel150 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Marvel150 wrote: »
    yes,that is too aggressive of a weight loss.thats like 0.45lbs a day. not going to happen. that is dangerous even with medical supervision if you ask me.

Thanks for looking out, Charlie.

Two sets of medical teams supervising, monitoring and supporting.

Whaddya mean "not going to happen" ?!?! I somehow got it in my head that it's a done deal!

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I mean that you are not going to lose .45lbs a day unless you go to serious extremes(which I wont list here). even with a medical team that is too aggressive. I could see if you want to lose 167lbs in say 1.5 years or even 2 years. but one year? its better to lose it slowly than it is quickly. why do you need to lose that much that fast? not to mention you wont lose that every week(unless again you are going to extremes that are not needed). weight loss is not linear. you may even gain some weeks.Im all for being positive when it comes to weight loss. but when it comes to a goal that is too aggressive. not to mention 2 lbs a week for some people is too aggressive and can be a problem. but you are going to do whatever you want to anyway. weight loss is a lifestyle and you most likely didnt gain that in a year so why the hurry? I will say good luck though.

Gotcha, Tracey, I understand what you are saying. Makes a lot of sense. I'll just keep on keeping on and see where next year has me.

For now, I am just really looking forward to being healthy and rid my body of all this excess weight! I am taking my LIFE back!

#FeelingStoked
  • Marvel150
    Options
    ma_bitts wrote: »
    I can relate. I'm hoping to lose 75ish pounds this year, and if I don't lose all of it, but am well, well on my way by Dec. 31, 2016, I will be so much healthier and feel so much better. I find that having this specific, ambitious goal is helpful in any case, and if that's the case for you too, then best of luck to you! You are on the road to better health!

Thanks, Ma, for your words of encouragement. I find that having a plan in place makes me more accountable.

It's not stressful doing this...it's just a big job that needs my immediate attention.

I am ready.
  • Marvel150
    Options
    1lb at a time, you can lose the weight that has been holding you back :)

YES, YES, YES! I will be looking forward to my weekly weigh ins, and my monthly pictures and measurements.
  • Marvel150
    Options
    mousie1973 wrote: »
    The only thing i can say is just remember... that you will not likely lose 3.2 pounds per week every week for a year. Weight loss is not linear and sometimes if you lose too quickly, the weightloss will stall to let your body sort of "catch up" ... I admire your ambition, but just be careful that you are not tooo ambitious and get disappointed if you don't hit all of your goals. the best way is 1 pound at a time and 1 day at a time.

You are absolutely right, Mousie. I'm actually going to be more happy with how much better my back and knees will feel with 20 pounds of pressure off...more so than the scale, which is good for me to quantify my journey.

But since I am taking back my life, fat can no longer be my companion that I take everywhere I go! I'm going to leave 5 lbs here...7 lbs there...2 lbs everywhere I go!

Good riddance, and HELLO ME!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    That's (too) aggressive. Good luck!
    Nah, I don't think so...very moderate, if you think about it. Only 3.2 lbs a week.

A typical "fast" rate of loss is 2 lb/week. For someone with 167 to go, you can lose faster at first. Still, sustaining 3.2 lb/wk all the way to your goal probably shouldn't happen - as your body fat drops, the rate at which your body is capable of burning fat drops too, because there is simply less fat there to burn. If you lose faster, you tend to lose too much lean mass (muscle). I started with about the same amount to lose as you have, and right now I'm about 60 pounds down and currently losing around 2.5 pounds per week (which is just around 1% of my body weight right now).

That said, even if this takes you longer than 12 months, it's definitely worth it :smiley:
  • yatesnikki88
    yatesnikki88 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Losing that much in that amount of time will result in muscle loss, including the heart. Gallstones and many other health complications. I believe the best thing is to do this step by step. Aim for health. Losing 2 pounds a week is tough sometimes and pushing the limits. Be careful, be happy and be healthy <3
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,131 Member
    Options
    Good attitude, but I agree that the goal is likely too aggressive. The reason I say that is right now, with a lot of fat to lose, you can relatively easily lose 3.2 pounds a week, and do it safely. The issue is the more fat you lose, or to put it another way, the less fat you have to lose, the slower it has to come off. If you continue a 3.2 pound per week goal instead of losing fat you will lose more and more of that weight in muscle. That is why for those who are not quite obese the suggested weight loss per week is a maximum of 2 pounds. For that matter, when I person is not obese, but only considered overweight, even 2 pounds per week is usually too aggressive.

To put this all in another way, more you lose the lower your goal per week should be. That means a longer time to take it off, but learning to eat properly near the calories for your final goal weight for a longer time.

All the best to you, and always remember the only real failure in losing fat is the person who completely gives up. You will have ups and downs, but if you persist you will take it off, even if you don't meet your goal date.
  • Marvel150
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Nah, I don't think so...very moderate, if you think about it. Only 3.2 lbs a week.

A typical "fast" rate of loss is 2 lb/week. For someone with 167 to go, you can lose faster at first. Still, sustaining 3.2 lb/wk all the way to your goal probably shouldn't happen - as your body fat drops, the rate at which your body is capable of burning fat drops too, because there is simply less fat there to burn. If you lose faster, you tend to lose too much lean mass (muscle). I started with about the same amount to lose as you have, and right now I'm about 60 pounds down and currently losing around 2.5 pounds per week (which is just around 1% of my body weight right now).

That said, even if this takes you longer than 12 months, it's definitely worth it :smiley:

Yes, good information for me to learn here. Thanks for sharing.

So, since I'm just starting out and super stoked, perhaps I can re-evaluate my journey on a monthly basis and address the long term goals at that point, making whatever decisions are prudent moving forward.
  • Marvel150
    Options
    Losing that much in that amount of time will result in muscle loss, including the heart. Gallstones and many other health complications. I believe the best thing is to do this step by step. Aim for health. Losing 2 pounds a week is tough sometimes and pushing the limits. Be careful, be happy and be healthy <3

Great advice, Nikki,

I guess I am finally ready to get my life back. I will keep my short term goals for this month, and then re-evaluate in January, slowing it down a bit.
  • BettJo64
    BettJo64 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Hi Marvel150 :) I love your eagerness and desire at the start of your journey to fit and healthy! Maintain this as long as you possibly can, my friend :) I'm rooting for you to reach your goal in a healthy way!!! I've lost 120lbs so far in 18mths with much still to go. Good luck and good wishes for you :)
  • KieraGetsFit
    KieraGetsFit Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!!
  • A2_D2_
    A2_D2_ Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Remember that even if you have bad weeks to keep it up and stay positive. As long as medical professionals monitor you then go for it! I used to weigh 300 lbs. and lost 80 on my own over a few years. I want to meet my goals and am close but need help so I started this app today, your intro. is giving me a morale boost!
  • Marvel150
    Options
    Good attitude, but I agree that the goal is likely too aggressive. The reason I say that is right now, with a lot of fat to lose, you can relatively easily lose 3.2 pounds a week, and do it safely. The issue is the more fat you lose, or to put it another way, the less fat you have to lose, the slower it has to come off. If you continue a 3.2 pound per week goal instead of losing fat you will lose more and more of that weight in muscle. That is why for those who are not quite obese the suggested weight loss per week is a maximum of 2 pounds. For that matter, when I person is not obese, but only considered overweight, even 2 pounds per week is usually too aggressive.

To put this all in another way, more you lose the lower your goal per week should be. That means a longer time to take it off, but learning to eat properly near the calories for your final goal weight for a longer time.

All the best to you, and always remember the only real failure in losing fat is the person who completely gives up. You will have ups and downs, but if you persist you will take it off, even if you don't meet your goal date.

Thanks for the schooling...I love the way you broke it down so clearly!

Ok...so I guess I'll try and tone it down a bit. Weird, though, because it feels like I have a lot to re-learn. Planning meals, went to the grocery store to shop for specific items, and my cart felt so empty, just like my fridge.

Wasn't able to do a lot of exercising, but getting stronger and want to do more as time goes by. Had a rough time at physical therapy yesterday, but I will keep at it so I can do more with no pain.

The good thing is that I want this, which is really the battle won!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

Yes, good information for me to learn here. Thanks for sharing.

So, since I'm just starting out and super stoked, perhaps I can re-evaluate my journey on a monthly basis and address the long term goals at that point, making whatever decisions are prudent moving forward.

Excellent plan!!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,131 Member
    Options

Thanks for the schooling...I love the way you broke it down so clearly!

Ok...so I guess I'll try and tone it down a bit. Weird, though, because it feels like I have a lot to re-learn. Planning meals, went to the grocery store to shop for specific items, and my cart felt so empty, just like my fridge.

Wasn't able to do a lot of exercising, but getting stronger and want to do more as time goes by. Had a rough time at physical therapy yesterday, but I will keep at it so I can do more with no pain.

The good thing is that I want this, which is really the battle won!

You can do this. It takes time, but when you get there it won't seem as long as it looks right now. Take that time as time to learn how to eat properly.
  • Marvel150
    Options
    BettJo64 wrote: »
    Hi Marvel150 :) I love your eagerness and desire at the start of your journey to fit and healthy! Maintain this as long as you possibly can, my friend :) I'm rooting for you to reach your goal in a healthy way!!! I've lost 120lbs so far in 18mths with much still to go. Good luck and good wishes for you :)

Awesome...I love your numbers! This inspires me!
  • Marvel150
    Options
    You can do it!!!

Thanks for your encouragement, Kiera!

I'm loving this journey and the road that I have made up my mind to travel. Just got to make the best of it!
  • monrbrown730
    monrbrown730 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Focus on the inches lost and not the pounds. Make sure you are eating healthy and take it slow. No matter what don't give up! you can do this!