Today, started goal of losing 167 lbs in 1 yr...I got this!!!

Options
Just was introduced to MFP today.

Just made up my mind to lose 167 pounds before December 9, 2016.

Totally doable!

Replies

• brankajulia
    brankajulia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Totally!!!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    That's (too) aggressive. Good luck!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Over 3 pounds per week for that duration is unrealistic and unsafe without medical prescription and supervision.
  • ShashayLee
    ShashayLee Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    welcome to MFP. :)
    I'd suggest not putting a deadline on your weight loss, If you don't make it by Dec 9 then what will happen?
    break the total weight you want to lose into small achievable steps, like maybe 10 or 20 pounds & build on that.
    All the best to you in your journey
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    yes,that is too aggressive of a weight loss.thats like 0.45lbs a day. not going to happen. that is dangerous even with medical supervision if you ask me.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    If you lose a significant portion of that, you'll still be well ahead of where you are today. You can do it! How was day 1?
  • fat2fab2020
    fat2fab2020 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    a life change will take a while ... good luck any way - someone want to add me?
  • jls1mum
    jls1mum Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wishing you good luck on your journey stay positive and you will achieve
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    While you certainly have the right attitude and you don't need negativity but support I know how easy it is to be disappointed if you don't reach such a difficult goal. Losing weight and changing your eating habits is a lifetime goal and not a race."Falling off the wagon" is a normal part of the path to learning how to sustain your weight loss. Learning how to forgive yourself for doing so and hop right back on takes time and patience. I am not going to tell you can't do it - you certainly can lose 167 lbs here as others have done it - I will say love yourself enough to do it in a way that you will be healthy and happy. I agree with setting small doable goals that you can celebrate as you succeed ie: 10lb loss give yourself a gift - a new book, a pedicure, go to a movie, put $10 in jar for a trip to take at the end of your journey. Plan your food ahead of time so you don't have to make decisions about it all day. Filling out your Food Diary in the morning keeps you accountable and in charge of your eating for the day. Post on the boards for support - having a good support system has been proven to be one of the key parts of losing weight and keeping it off. Lastly don't set yourself up for failure by setting a date by which to lose that weight. You can do this if you understand that this is not a diet but a lifestyle change. I will be watching your journey. BTW I did lose 100 lbs over the course of a year by setting my goals at 2 lbs a week with some unexpected learning curves along the way. <3
  • Marvel150
    Marvel150 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Totally!!!

Yep!
  • Marvel150
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    That's (too) aggressive. Good luck!

Nah, I don't think so...very moderate, if you think about it. Only 3.2 lbs a week.

• Marvel150
    Options
    Over 3 pounds per week for that duration is unrealistic and unsafe without medical prescription and supervision.

Thanks for your input, Brian. It averages 3.2 lbs per week. Two sets of medical teams supervising. This is how I found out about MFP.
  • Marvel150
    Options
    ShashayLee wrote: »
    welcome to MFP. :)
    I'd suggest not putting a deadline on your weight loss, If you don't make it by Dec 9 then what will happen?
    break the total weight you want to lose into small achievable steps, like maybe 10 or 20 pounds & build on that.
    All the best to you in your journey

Whaddya mean "If I don't make it..." ?!?! lol

Ooh, yes, great idea...first goal: -5 lbs by next week.

Thanks for the inspiration, Shashay!

• Marvel150
    Options
    yes,that is too aggressive of a weight loss.thats like 0.45lbs a day. not going to happen. that is dangerous even with medical supervision if you ask me.

Thanks for looking out, Charlie.

Two sets of medical teams supervising, monitoring and supporting.

Whaddya mean "not going to happen" ?!?! I somehow got it in my head that it's a done deal!

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
  • Marvel150
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    If you lose a significant portion of that, you'll still be well ahead of where you are today. You can do it! How was day 1?

Good morning, Jane,

Day 1 was awesome! Can't wait for Day 6 to come already! This extra 167 lbs for me to carry around with me is not an option anymore.

Consider this DONE AND DONE!
  • Marvel150
    Options
    a life change will take a while ... good luck any way - someone want to add me?

Yep, and it all started with the decision to "git 'er done"!

Adding you now.
  • Marvel150
    Options
    jls1mum wrote: »
    Wishing you good luck on your journey stay positive and you will achieve

Thank you so much for the good words!
  • Marvel150
    Options
    While you certainly have the right attitude and you don't need negativity but support I know how easy it is to be disappointed if you don't reach such a difficult goal. Losing weight and changing your eating habits is a lifetime goal and not a race."Falling off the wagon" is a normal part of the path to learning how to sustain your weight loss. Learning how to forgive yourself for doing so and hop right back on takes time and patience. I am not going to tell you can't do it - you certainly can lose 167 lbs here as others have done it - I will say love yourself enough to do it in a way that you will be healthy and happy. I agree with setting small doable goals that you can celebrate as you succeed ie: 10lb loss give yourself a gift - a new book, a pedicure, go to a movie, put $10 in jar for a trip to take at the end of your journey. Plan your food ahead of time so you don't have to make decisions about it all day. Filling out your Food Diary in the morning keeps you accountable and in charge of your eating for the day. Post on the boards for support - having a good support system has been proven to be one of the key parts of losing weight and keeping it off. Lastly don't set yourself up for failure by setting a date by which to lose that weight. You can do this if you understand that this is not a diet but a lifestyle change. I will be watching your journey. BTW I did lose 100 lbs over the course of a year by setting my goals at 2 lbs a week with some unexpected learning curves along the way. <3

WOW!!! Thanks SO MUCH for saying that! I definitely will include these recommendations!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Marvel150 wrote: »

Thanks for looking out, Charlie.

Two sets of medical teams supervising, monitoring and supporting.

Whaddya mean "not going to happen" ?!?! I somehow got it in my head that it's a done deal!

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I mean that you are not going to lose .45lbs a day unless you go to serious extremes(which I wont list here). even with a medical team that is too aggressive. I could see if you want to lose 167lbs in say 1.5 years or even 2 years. but one year? its better to lose it slowly than it is quickly. why do you need to lose that much that fast? not to mention you wont lose that every week(unless again you are going to extremes that are not needed). weight loss is not linear. you may even gain some weeks.Im all for being positive when it comes to weight loss. but when it comes to a goal that is too aggressive. not to mention 2 lbs a week for some people is too aggressive and can be a problem. but you are going to do whatever you want to anyway. weight loss is a lifestyle and you most likely didnt gain that in a year so why the hurry? I will say good luck though.
  • ma_bitts
    ma_bitts Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I'm hoping to lose 75ish pounds this year, and if I don't lose all of it, but am well, well on my way by Dec. 31, 2016, I will be so much healthier and feel so much better. I find that having this specific, ambitious goal is helpful in any case, and if that's the case for you too, then best of luck to you! You are on the road to better health!