Today, started goal of losing 167 lbs in 1 yr...I got this!!!

Options
124»

Replies

• codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Not to rain on your parade but that's unrealistic. Try to lose 100 lbs. Good luck.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I have a long way to go and I don't even know my end goal yet. When I sit and think about it, it gets daunting. So I have been setting mini goals for myself. Each goal that I reach makes me feel that I am accomplishing something. You can do it. Take your time and you will find what works for you
  • Marvel150
    Marvel150 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Valrotha wrote: »
    I wish you the best! One of the things I found most helpful was the MFP community and my friends here on this site. Don't hesitate to lean on folks here for help and support.

Thank you for the reinforcement...I'll surely need it!
  • Marvel150
    Options
    CoffinQTee wrote: »
    You got this your goal is doable for sure

Thanks! We got this!

It's Monday afternoon...how's everything holding?
  • DeeDiddyGee
    DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Marvel150 wrote: »
    Just was introduced to MFP today.

Just made up my mind to lose 167 pounds before December 9, 2016.

Totally doable!

CONGRATULATIONS! Speak to your doctor about a safe rate of weight loss and then go for it! If you want it, you will do it! :)
  • DeeDiddyGee
    DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    While you certainly have the right attitude and you don't need negativity but support I know how easy it is to be disappointed if you don't reach such a difficult goal. Losing weight and changing your eating habits is a lifetime goal and not a race."Falling off the wagon" is a normal part of the path to learning how to sustain your weight loss. Learning how to forgive yourself for doing so and hop right back on takes time and patience. I am not going to tell you can't do it - you certainly can lose 167 lbs here as others have done it - I will say love yourself enough to do it in a way that you will be healthy and happy. I agree with setting small doable goals that you can celebrate as you succeed ie: 10lb loss give yourself a gift - a new book, a pedicure, go to a movie, put $10 in jar for a trip to take at the end of your journey. Plan your food ahead of time so you don't have to make decisions about it all day. Filling out your Food Diary in the morning keeps you accountable and in charge of your eating for the day. Post on the boards for support - having a good support system has been proven to be one of the key parts of losing weight and keeping it off. Lastly don't set yourself up for failure by setting a date by which to lose that weight. You can do this if you understand that this is not a diet but a lifestyle change. I will be watching your journey. BTW I did lose 100 lbs over the course of a year by setting my goals at 2 lbs a week with some unexpected learning curves along the way. <3

This is a MOST EXCELLENCE response!
  • Marvel150
    Options
    Rdsgoal16 wrote: »
    Great attitude, I am under a doctors care and while I see a lot of "too fast" I say go for it and take it a step at a time, adjust as you see how you feel. I have lost 22 pounds in 18 days. I started lifting on day one, bought a recumbent bike and moved my recliner to the storage shed. good luck!

WOW, HOW EXCITED ARE YOU FEELING?!?! You sound some kind of serious buying and moving furniture around like that! Love, love, love the new mindset.

So if people like us who are Pleasingly Plump can normally lose a lot more than average (let's say, 20-25 lbs the first 2-3 months), is it possible that to lose 167 pounds in a year is actually doable for us if, in the remaining 9 months, the real weight loss is still around 2-3 lbs per week?
  • Marvel150
    Options
    nade0069 wrote: »
    Marvel150 wrote: »
    I AM CONFUSED! PLEASE HELP...I have questions:

I initially weighed 317.8 and in my first week, I lost 6.6 pounds just by keeping track of my meals and logging in everything I put in my mouth, as well as I have now started exercising.

I guess it's my water weight that's been melting off this past week. And I understand that I'll lose more weight at first because I have so much fat.

But how much of the 317.8 is fat?

And how many more months (or weeks) will my weight continue to drop at about 1 pound per day, now that I'm exercising (when I wasn't before) and now that I'm training myself to eat healthier and less (around 1,540 calories says the My Fitness Pal) instead of the probably 4,000-5,000 calories that I used to eat junk per day?

I AM NOT DOING THAT...it's dropping like that on it's own. For instance, last night, I was SO FULL I could hardly finish my broccoli dinner. So is it possible that my stomach is shrinking its capacity for the amount of food that it can hold just in ONE week???

But you're saying don't lose more than 1% per week weight...that would be 3.1 pounds. I can't eat more because now I get full, so I'm confused!

Talk to me.

If you have not already, I would recommend getting a food scale. You can get a good one for relatively cheap and it will give you an accurate idea of how much you are eating. It isn't unusual to loose as much as you did in your first week at all. Enjoy the changes you are seeing in the mirror, they are fabulous. If you are feeling satisfied, then don't keep eating, part of the process is learning to stop eating when you are no longer hungry and it sounds to me like you are doing well. In terms of eating back your exercise calories, MFP tends to over estimate your loss so it is smart of you to not eat all of them back, which is why one of your rewards to yourself could be a heart rate monitor which would help you determine how much you have actually burned.

Keep up the good work!

Yes, so I will get a food scale and a heart rate monitor...thanks for the recommendations!
  • Marvel150
    Options
    je32281 wrote: »
    you got this! add me!

Done. And done!
  • Brendarfrench
    Brendarfrench Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great - let us know your game plan.

• Marvel150
    Options
    Great - let us know your game plan.

My game plan? Arise like a phoenix on January 6, 2017...my birthday and Sabbatical Year!

Eye on the prize, Brenda...keeping my eye on the prize!
  • Marvel150
    Options
    Not to rain on your parade but that's unrealistic. Try to lose 100 lbs. Good luck.

Absolutely...the 100 will most definitely come first!
  • Marvel150
    Options
    OhMsDiva wrote: »
    I have a long way to go and I don't even know my end goal yet. When I sit and think about it, it gets daunting. So I have been setting mini goals for myself. Each goal that I reach makes me feel that I am accomplishing something. You can do it. Take your time and you will find what works for you

Thanks for your kind words!
  • cndkendrick
    cndkendrick Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Marvel, however long it takes you to get there you will do it fabulously. Learning yourself along the way! Provided it will be strictly MFP and exercise (i.e.; diet and exercise).. slow and steady wins the race.
    I know its all to prove to ourselves, our inner self telling us "if you had started a year ago, we could be lean and healthy", but all that voice is is self doubt and possibly a little fear. Don't listen to it. This isn't a race, we're not in competition with anyone (or we shouldn't be). Just prove to your doubt that you will get to a healthy arrival in your own time.
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Great job Marvel - keep up what you're doing and you'll reach your goal. I agree about using a food scale. I was shocked when I started using one how far off I was at estimating the measurements of my food. You will probably have another great loss this month so it gives you time to come to terms with when you don't have a big loss. I think all of us had to learn this lesson - be proud of ANY loss - even a quarter pound. A loss - even no movement is better than a gain. B)
  • Marvel150
    Options
    Great job Marvel - keep up what you're doing and you'll reach your goal. I agree about using a food scale. I was shocked when I started using one how far off I was at estimating the measurements of my food. You will probably have another great loss this month so it gives you time to come to terms with when you don't have a big loss. I think all of us had to learn this lesson - be proud of ANY loss - even a quarter pound. A loss - even no movement is better than a gain. B)

Thanks for the advice, Gloria!

Got a bit sidelined over the holidays, but back in the saddle and ready to rock and roll!