How often does everyone weigh themselves?

Options
pilotsroo
pilotsroo Posts: 37 Member
edited December 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I try weighing once a week but I am wondering if weighing everyday will help keep myself accountable?

Replies

• pilotsroo
    pilotsroo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I mean weighing everyday.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Pretty good article on the topic.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/weighing-yourself/
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Some people can't handle every day due to the constant fluctuations. What's more important is that you're consistent in when you do it (generally first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom and before eating/drinking, wearing the same amount of clothes).
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    When I was in the throes of weight loss, I measured every day, but only paid attention to the long-term trends, not day to day fluctuations.

Since I've been in maintenance, I typically only weigh once every 2-3 weeks, to ensure I'm still within my target range.
  • cassandranken
    cassandranken Posts: 129 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I weigh daily, first thing "my morning" (5-6pm. I work night shift), naked, after using the restroom.

Actually, sometimes I weigh before and after I use the restroom...because I'm obsessive like that lol
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Daily. I plot my weight and use multiple tools to keep track of long term trends. I like data. Daily weighing only works if you can handle the fluctuations. Some people freak out when they see that they've gained a pound overnight.

But I recommend daily weighing because fluctuations can be present on a weekly basis as well, and sometimes weekly weighers will think they haven't lost anything for a whole week due to these fluctuations.

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Weighing yourself every day can be dangerous to your peace of mind. Our weight fluctuates many times throughout the day - and often we retain water but think we "put on" weight.

For instance, my friend felt bad because she "put on 4 lbs" over Thanksgiving. There is no way she did that unless she ate more than 12,000 calories ABOVE her maintenance...what she did retain was some water weight. She may have put a little weight on.

Some people like to weigh themselves every day because they are tracking those fluctuations - and as long as you have a general downward direction - even if today you're up 1 lb tomorrow you're down a half, up a half, down a pound, no change, down a half, down a half, up a half, up a half, down a half, down a pound, ...etc.

I like to weigh myself every day just because I'm wired that way, but I also do not freak out if I see a gain esp. when I know I've stayed on track.
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day then average it.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day throughout the day to see fluctuations, but my official weight, the one I log for the doctor and the one I pay attention to I take on Tuesday morning at 5a after peeing and before eating or drinking anything.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Every morning before my first cuppa tea. I log the results into a tracker that shows the general trend of weight loss/gain over 10 days to keep myself sane when there is an odd increase for no apparent reason *grins*
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Daily. I'm interested in seeing the trend over time.

5 years ago, I wouldn't have been able to do this because I would not have been okay with seeing the fluctuations.

• ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I go with daily. I like to see the fluctuations and see if I can spot patterns etc.
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Once a week. I used to try to weigh daily but got too obsessive about fluctuations so stopped.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Weighing once a week is enough information for me.

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Mentally I hate weighing every day... But I'm also a nerd and I love graphs. I'm getting over my fear of weighing every day by logging my weight every day so I can play with the data.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily but don't record every day. It's helpful for me to know if something causes me to retain a lot of water by seeing how I fluctuate. I can avoid or at least limit certain foods if I notice a trend.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day and log my weight into happy scale.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    Another once-per-week vote.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Everyone needs to find what works best for them. For some people this is daily weighing, for some this is weekly, for others it's monthly.

The most important thing is that regular weight monitoring is happening.

I personally prefer to weigh daily because the fluctuations have just become meaningless. I used to have a dysfunctional relationship with the scale and hid from it for years. I've forced myself to move past my issues by looking at my weigh ins as data points, not judgments. In collecting data, I like having more data points.

Someone else might weigh daily and obsess over the fluctuations.

Different strokes and all that.