What do you eat at the movies?

Options
124»

Replies

• ficklesoul
    ficklesoul Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If I go with my best friend(who is a hardcore healthfreak ToT)we would usually end up snacking on nuts or beans(almond, walnut, roasted fava beans) but if I hangout with other friends or colleague, I'd help myself to a large diet coke and bucket of popcorn or a bag of m&m to share. :P
  • glitterstreet
    Options
    I just make room for a big bag of maltesers which is about 800 calories in my allowance, it's defiantly worth it.
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I find I can go for 2 hours without eating and the sound of everyone else in the cinema crunching and slurping is enough of a soundtrack to the movie. If I want to eat out I'll go to a restaurant rather than sitting in the dark stuffing my face with overpriced junk.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I bring my own food in my purse...usually hummus and tortilla chips and a water with some mio flavor enhancer in it. Movie theater food has an insane amount of calories.
  • talk2elles
    talk2elles Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I usually take my own food and drink:

- bottle of water
    - coronation chicken, red onion, cress and red bell pepper sandwich/bap/roll/wrap
    - dark chocolate cherry protein bar

I usually eat only one thing so it depends on if I want sweet or savoury
  • scrttwtt
    scrttwtt Posts: 30
    Options
    I went to the theater he day before yesterday and smuggled in a bottle of diet pepsi, a 95 calorie bag of crisps, a cereal bar and a very small pack of chewy sweets... shared some with my boyfriend and it ended up at something like 250 cals for the trip, which isn't so bad.
  • aliciamhosein
    Options
    Calories

According to Anderson University, a kid's serving size, which is about 5 cups of popcorn without any butter, contains 300 calories, a small serving or 7 cups is 400 calories. A medium serving or 11 cups is 650 calories, and a large serving or 16 cups is 900 calories. The extra-large serving of 20 cups contains 1,160 calories.

Sounds to me like your better off bringing your own popcorn. what I do is pack granola bars or cheerios.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Nothing.
  • aliciamhosein
    Options
    very true you have a point. also with the prices at the theater it would probably be cheaper to eat out.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    What do you eat at the movies?

Other people, particularly the one's who can't shut up.
  • IAteBethDitto
    IAteBethDitto Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Something that fits in with the code of conduct:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/5live/films/code_of_conduct.jpg
  • KimLee76
    KimLee76 Posts: 89
    Options
    Ideas?

Popcorn makes me bloated and gives me the sugar crazies.

Looking for suggestions please!

My suggestion is tacky and may get you tossed out, but I doubt it is a prosecutable offense lol...sneak in what you normally snack on.

I mean unless you're going to a theater with an expanded menu, you know what's on the standard list. Do any of those snacks not make you feel bloated or give you the sugar crazies? If so, choose one. If not, bring your own or do without.

I've taken everything from dry-roasted edamame to plum tomatoes depending on my mood but whatever it is, I keep it bite-sized and quiet.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Personally . A large popcorn, ASTROS , and slush puppy ... its like 1500 Cals :)

Suggestion . take your own low cal snacks
  • DG_I_AM
    DG_I_AM Posts: 1
    Options
    You have to eat to eat the popcorn. To get the full experience.
  • jujunnaichi
    Options
    I eat before or after I go. Not paying good money for that crap.

This.
  • tomich54
    tomich54 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Skinny cow candy bar, frozen coke. Sometimes I will get pretzel bites w/ cheese - I just fit it in if I do.
  • 2113PrayForUsAll
    Options
    Twizzlers. It's always been my movie food. But I've also brought apple slices and dried cranberries with me.

I agree. Twizzlers are a must have...plus milk duds
  • dunlunicor
    dunlunicor Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Start making your own popcorn at home when you want popcorn. Eventually, the chemical butter smell of movie theater and microwave popcorn will make you sick once you're used to the real stuff. I used to LOVE both, but since I started making my own on the stove, just thinking about the smell makes me a little queasy.

Plus, I think the movie food is a rip-off. If I buy anything, I'll split a diet coke with someone. If I'm really craving a treat, I might get some candy. If they only have the HUGE boxes or bags, I'll take out what I intend to eat and stow the rest in my purse for later. Mostly, I just don't like to eat while watching movies or tv. It takes some getting used to, but saves a lot of mindless snacking. If you think bringing some snacks will keep you from the temptation of visiting the concession stand, though, by all means do so. Fruit, nuts, trail mix, some of that home-made popcorn we talked about. I'd suggest sticking to bite-sized things if you can, so that you can have the open bag in your purse to be a little less obvious about bringing your own food in.
  • Shugz68
    Shugz68 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's definitely better to bring a healthy snack with you instead of trying to resist the theater choices or choice a healthy one.
    I like Synder's buttersnap pretezels w/ a slice of avocado...delish! And for the chocoholic in me, i bring dark chocolate-covered almonds 100 calorie pack. I love to munch while I'm at the movies minus the guilt of bad food choices.