sweet tooth

Options
Hi I'm a newbie with a terrible sweet tooth has anyone any good ideas how I can curb this and not be ruled by chocolate pls feel free to add me need friends 4 encouragement and support :-)

Replies

• Mcoughlin20
    Mcoughlin20 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I need support too. Im a sugar junky and.need to stop. Add me
  • aimeerhiannon
    aimeerhiannon Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    omg I used to have the worst sweet tooth... actually I guess I still do, but I've cut back a lot in the last few years. This is how I did it, I gradually switched from eating milk chocolate to dark (50% cocoa, then 60%, now 75%), I started making my own sugar-free candies with gelatin, natural essences and stevia. If I feel like a dessert I have a low sugar/carb mug cake (there are tons of recipes online). I make my hot chocolates from scratch with unsweetened cocoa powder, hot water and stevia - I managed to cut down from the equivalent of 2-3 spoons of sweetener to just one or none. Also, on a hot day, instead of ice cream I get whipped sorbets, they have a similar texture to ice cream but can be 200 calories less than, say, a Magnum. I have to have something chocolate flavoured nearly every day but I try to make it healthy - e.g. I'll put a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder in a fruit smoothie or just have two squares of dark chocolate.
    I loooove sweets but I'm also a little obsessed with making healthy choices and I've found these to be a good compromise.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I ate more chocolate while losing weight than I did while gaining. I find it much easier to fit into a deficit over chips/savory treats which I always preferred. Dark chocolate fits well, plus some of the substitutes are really yummy.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I have a sweet tooth, I ate a lot of sweets when I was losing and I still eat a lot of sweets now. You don't have to cut out sweets, you can modify your portion sizes or switch the kind of sweets you eat. Jelly belly beans only have 4 calories each, Trader Joe's cat cookies have 8 calories each, grapes taste great frozen, you can cut yourself half a piece of cake, 1/2 a cup of breyers ice cream is 130 calories.
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate was my best friend when I was trying to kick my chocolate addiction.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I ate more chocolate while losing weight than I did while gaining. I find it much easier to fit into a deficit over chips/savory treats which I always preferred. Dark chocolate fits well, plus some of the substitutes are really yummy.

Same. And ice cream.

Seriously, I have a huge sweet tooth and I've lost 80 pounds. The key is not to waste calories on things you don't really love, and decide every day what you really want to have that day... Before I blow 300 calories on some dessert (or more), I just ask myself - what do I really want for those 300 calories? If the answer is something else, I just pass... like I've passed on high calorie dessert probably 10 times because what I really wanted was a specific dessert at a restaurant (and I eventually got it, two months later!).

But 100-250 calorie treats? If I have the calories for it and I'm not particularly hungry, you bet I'm going to have a serving of ice cream to meet my goal. It's just not realistic to expect me to stop eating sweets altogether, and every time I have, I ended up binging. I do best when I have 100-200 calorie treats every day.
  • wallingf
    wallingf Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    One 5.3 oz Dannon Light & Fit Greek yogurt....any flavor = 80 calories

4 TB Fat Free Cool Whip = 30 calories

Mix it all up real good and you have a flavored mousse like dessert (just pick whatever flavor yogurt you want, like strawberry, lime, cherry, etc) for 110 calories. About 12g of protein and no fat. The cool whip cuts the yogurt taste a lot (imo).

Toss in 2 TB of PB2 for another 45 calories (and 5 more g of protein) and mix with their vanilla one....and it tastes like PB fudge to me. My bedtime snack every night....
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,528 Member
    Options
    This is a minority report, and won't necessarily work for others, but I was able to largely eliminate craving sweet foods like candy, cookies, etc. I used to eat them daily (multiple times!), even knowing they weren't particularly nutritious. Then I heard a nutritionist suggest eating 3 servings of whole fruit every day in order to reduce cravings for less nutrient-dense sweets. It could be the placebo effect, but after a short period where I had to force it a bit (maybe 2-4 weeks?), it seemed to work for me.

I'd been eating that way for a while when I started pursuing weight loss (because I was still overeating!). I still eat a couple of fruit servings most days, but I have no problem substituting non-sweets in when it fits my daily goals better. I eat the occasional traditional sweet thing (ice cream, cupcakes, etc.) on special occasions, but usually don't find them as wonderful as I anticipate. I definitely don't crave them.

You absolutely don't *have* to stop eating not very nutrient-dense sweets. It works to fit them into your calories either daily or on special occasions. But it also seems to be possible to change your food preferences, if you want to go that route, based on my experience.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate powder from the baking aisle: added to protein shakes, oatmeal, yogurt :)
    Lately I have been buying chocolate soy milk.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Pull the offending tooth.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Use/select Stevia in place of sugar wherever possible!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Eat your chocolate - but just less of it! :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    This is a minority report, and won't necessarily work for others, but I was able to largely eliminate craving sweet foods like candy, cookies, etc. I used to eat them daily (multiple times!), even knowing they weren't particularly nutritious. Then I heard a nutritionist suggest eating 3 servings of whole fruit every day in order to reduce cravings for less nutrient-dense sweets. It could be the placebo effect, but after a short period where I had to force it a bit (maybe 2-4 weeks?), it seemed to work for me.

I'd been eating that way for a while when I started pursuing weight loss (because I was still overeating!). I still eat a couple of fruit servings most days, but I have no problem substituting non-sweets in when it fits my daily goals better. I eat the occasional traditional sweet thing (ice cream, cupcakes, etc.) on special occasions, but usually don't find them as wonderful as I anticipate. I definitely don't crave them.

You absolutely don't *have* to stop eating not very nutrient-dense sweets. It works to fit them into your calories either daily or on special occasions. But it also seems to be possible to change your food preferences, if you want to go that route, based on my experience.

Ya, I reduced baked goods, increased fruit, protein, and exercise, save treats for after dinner, usually just 70 calories of chocolate, and no longer have cravings.