Killing myself for Nothing

Options
Seriously... I have been eating 1200 calories a day, doing Jillian Michael's Body Revolution for a month, jogging on a treadmill every evening and have only lost 10 pounds!!!! Jillian expects five pounds a week. If you do the math, not counting extra calorie burn for the metabolic training, just what my heart rate monitor says I have burned, I should be losing 3.5 pounds a week. I have barely lost a jean size. So depressed!

Replies

• Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Its taken me over a year to lose the 51 pounds I have. What's your hurry? If you have lost 10 pounds in a month, you are doing a lot better than you think. :)

As for what Jillian expects, I wouldn't measure my success by her.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    2.5 lbs/week loss is pretty good, if not a little much, unless this is your first go at it.

2lbs/week is considered "sustainable loss".

So, you're doing it just right.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Jillian expects five pounds a week.

Jillian, to put it bluntly, is full of fecal matter.

Ten pounds in a month is absofrickinlutely incredible progress, and you should be proud. You should also not expect it to continue at that rate, because you don't have enough excess body fat to support that kind of weight loss.

Ideally, with 44 pounds left to go, you should be aiming for one pound a week. The only thing you should feel depressed about is that your expectations were unrealistic.
  • SillaWinchester
    SillaWinchester Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    10 pounds is better than nothing!! Do not be upset over that! You're doing amazing, and better than most! Keep on going!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Jillian expects five pounds a week.

Jillian, to put it bluntly, is full of fecal matter.

Ten pounds in a month is absofrickinlutely incredible progress, and you should be proud. You should also not expect it to continue at that rate, because you don't have enough excess body fat to support that kind of weight loss.

Ideally, with 44 pounds left to go, you should be aiming for one pound a week. The only thing you should feel depressed about is that you're expectations were unrealistic.

^This
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    3.5 lbs a week is pretty unrealistic for most people (aside from quick drops due to water weight). There is only so much your body can burn off at a time.
    10 lbs in a month is fantastic progress.

You really need to readjust your expectations. You aren't going to keep losing at that rate forever. It gets hard. If you are disappointed with 10lbs in a month what will happen when you hit a plateau (not losing for weeks) or your weight loss slows to 2-4 lbs a month?
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    measure yourself. you are probably gaining muscle.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I lost my weight at an average of 10 lbs a month. I ate at a 1000 calorie deficit and exercised regularly (4 times a week). It is a decent rate, and nothing to scoff at.
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Well, 10 pounds isn't nothing, for sure! It's possible you just traded fat for muscle, which weighs more. But perhaps you might want to check out this website:

http://eatmore2weighless.com/

1200 calories is very low, unless you are a very petite person. Good, good luck. We're all rooting for you!
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Damn I wish I could lose ten pounds in a month. That should hardly be considered 'nothing'.
  • Serenitiblue
    Options
    your body has probably gotten used to the exercise you are doing. You might want to change it up with other exercise to shock the body back into its burning right, then in a few weeks return to the tread mill. I am by no means an expert, but i have one week left and then I will trade up exercises to challenge my body to newer levels, and spark the metabolism again so i don't plateau. Good luck! and hope you get it turned around :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    3.5 lbs a week is pretty unrealistic for most people (aside from quick drops due to water weight). There is only so much your body can burn off at a time.

You really need to readjust your expectations. You aren't going to keep losing at that rate forever. It gets hard. If you are disappointed with 10lbs in a month what will happen when you hit a plateau (not losing for weeks) or your weight loss slows to 2-4 lbs a month?

This. Also, you should not feel like you're killing yourself. You want to create habits that you'll keep up forever. If you're unhappy then how do you expect to keep going indefinitely?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

This. Also, you should not feel like you're killing yourself. You want to create habits that you'll keep up forever. If you're unhappy then how do you expect to keep going indefinitely?

This too.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    10 pounds in a month is crazy good results. You can expect your loss to naturally slow down a little over time, though, as your body adjusts. What's the rush? If you do it in a healthy, steady, sustainable way the results will last. Anything crazy and extreme usually ends up in failure because it can't be maintained in the long term. Good luck and congratz on the incredible first month!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Seriously... I have been eating 1200 calories a day, doing Jillian Michael's Body Revolution for a month, jogging on a treadmill every evening and have only lost 10 pounds!!!! Jillian expects five pounds a week. If you do the math, not counting extra calorie burn for the metabolic training, just what my heart rate monitor says I have burned, I should be losing 3.5 pounds a week. I have barely lost a jean size. So depressed!

Pardon me for being blunt, but 10 lbs a month is excellent and you should not be complaining. Forget what JM said, it is your body and we are all different. Keep doing her workouts and eat healthy and your body will get the message. Review your diary and make sure that you log EVERYTHING!!

I am sure that it took you more than a month to gain whatever weight you want to lose, so you should not expect that the lbs will disappear overnight. Keep up the good work and do not give up. Success is not for quitters
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    It took a lot of time to put on the pounds and it takes time to take the pounds off. It doesn't happen over night. I'd make sure to measure regularly and ignore the scale.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    measure yourself. you are probably gaining muscle.

On that large a deficit doing cardio, the OP is not gaining muscle. If anything she is losing muscle.
  • shelby820
    shelby820 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yep, you are not eating enough to support all that extra activity that you are doing. Increase your food intake and see what happens. You don't want to mess with your metabolism. Do you want to have to eat 1200 calories a day to maintain your weight? Figure out your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (including exercise) and eat about 500 calories less than that. Yes, the weight loss will be slower. But do you really want to lose weight, only to gain it back, and then have to lose it again?
  • gmmendenhall
    gmmendenhall Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You all are GREAT! I actually add the evening jog in because I love jogging. With the 1200 Calorie, I actually feel full. Lots of fruits and veggies, some healthy proteins. I feel better than I have felt in years. I am glad to hear except for possibly eating a little too few calories I am doing okay. I am not going to lie though... Still hoping that it continues at 2.5 lbs/week for at least a few more weeks. I would like to wear my skinny jeans on my first day back to work after summer vacation.