Headaches?

Options
Does anyone else get headaches in the afternoon on a 1200 calorie diet? What helps?

Replies

• Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    If the headaches are new, maybe you've set too aggressive a goal; maybe you're dehydrated; maybe it's hormones? If they are constant and not relieved by anything, get a medical evaluation.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Did you cut back on caffeine?
  • Karstey050
    Karstey050 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thank you! They are new. Also the hunger pangs are bad. I am following the less aggressive MFP calorie recommendation, to lose 1lb per week. But my doctor has me on the DASH Diet, which is low in sugar, fat, and salt. I might need more water. I'll give that a try.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Do you think it could be genetic ?
  • Karstey050
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

No, I drink 2 or 3 regular cups with milk each day. I miss the sugar!
  • queenliz99
    Options

Phew!! LOL
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Are you a very small person, or inactive? Your calorie goal is low.
    I don't prefer the dietary advice you were given. Us older ladies don't do well with lowfat diets IMO.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    If you are eating low sugar, then you need eat high fat.
  • Karstey050
    Options
    Do you think it could be genetic ?

Not genetic. I never have headaches, normally.
  • Karstey050
    Options
    I don't prefer the dietary advice you were given. Us older ladies don't do well with lowfat diets IMO.

I'm 5'3" and 177 lbs. I am too inactive. I think I should join a gym. That way I can eat more and still lose the 40 lbs that I need to.
  • Karstey050
    Options

Phew!! LOL

What do you mean? Is that okay, or not?
  • queenliz99
    Options

What advice exactly? I'm 55!
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Options

I'm 5'3" and 177 lbs. I am too inactive. I think I should join a gym. That way I can eat more and still lose the 40 lbs that I need to.

Yes, I really won't eat less than 1600 cals . My main form of exercise is walking, and I lost 30lbs doing that.
  • queenliz99
    Options

Phew!! LOL

What do you mean? Is that okay, or not?

Nope, love coffee. I get headaches when I don't have a cuppa joe first thing in the morning. I was checking to see if this is what you did?
  • Karstey050
    Options

Yes, I really won't eat less than 1600 cals . My main form of exercise is walking, and I lost 30lbs doing that.

My doctor said 1000 to 1200 calories. She said she eats 1500 calories, but she also spends 60 minutes on a stair machine every day. I can't do that!
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Options

My doctor said 1000 to 1200 calories. She said she eats 1500 calories, but she also spends 60 minutes on a stair machine every day. I can't do that!

Wow. Well, I will gladly walk outdoors for 60min. In fact, it gives a serious mood boost and 60min will also boost your metabolism for many hours. So if you do that walk twice a day, you have a nearly 24hour metabolic boost. between that and a short lifting session doing some compound lifts several times a week, and you'll have a great metabolism, be able to eat a comfortable amount, and change your body's looks.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options

That doesn't seem necessary or appropriate for someone who is 177lbs. Try a less aggressive goal, like 1/2lb per week and see if you tolerate that better. Take time to read the stickies at the top of the forum: a food scale and accurate logging are key to success, regardless of your goal. Good luck!
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options

1200 calories seems a little low for your stats. I'm 5'2" and ~122 lbs, 38 years old. MFP sets my calories to 1230 when I enter that I want to lose 1 lb/week. I have to walk, a lot, to increase my calories for the day. If I walk 10,000 steps I can eat 1500. If I do 20,000 steps it goes up to 1800. Though if your doctor wants you to eat that low - listen to them. If you're hungry frequently, try increasing your fat and protein, and eat both when you consume carbs - it's more filling and keeps you fuller longer. As for your headaches, try drinking more water. If you feel a headache beginning, have a cup of coffee - it's a vasodialator. If the headaches are reoccurring talk to your doctor about them, and let them know what you're doing diet wise. I hope you feel better!
  • Matt71Fleming
    Matt71Fleming Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    If I don't drink enough water throughout the day I get headaches.
  • Karstey050
    Options

1200 calories seems a little low for your stats. I'm 5'2" and ~122 lbs, 38 years old. MFP sets my calories to 1230 when I enter that I want to lose 1 lb/week. I have to walk, a lot, to increase my calories for the day. If I walk 10,000 steps I can eat 1500. If I do 20,000 steps it goes up to 1800. Though if your doctor wants you to eat that low - listen to them. If you're hungry frequently, try increasing your fat and protein, and eat both when you consume carbs - it's more filling and keeps you fuller longer. As for your headaches, try drinking more water. If you feel a headache beginning, have a cup of coffee - it's a vasodialator. If the headaches are reoccurring talk to your doctor about them, and let them know what you're doing diet wise. I hope you feel better!

Maybe it sets my level at 1200 because I am 66, slower metabolism due to age.