Best workouts for weight gain

Options
New Years resolution: I'm trying to bulk up as much as I can by Jan 1, eating as much protein as possible, and hitting the weights. Any guidance on what routines would be best?

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Are you a beginner or intermediate lifter?
  • rstewart30
    rstewart30 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Beginner I would say...been following the JEFit beginner routine for a few months.
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength or Stronglifts for beginners.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I would do stronglifts or ICF 5*5
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    rstewart30 wrote: »
    New Years resolution: I'm trying to bulk up as much as I can by Jan 1, eating as much protein as possible, and hitting the weights. Any guidance on what routines would be best?

You are going to bulk up in 2-3 weeks? It takes a little longer then that. Eastcoast Jim

• rstewart30
    Options
    My goal is to gain 10 pounds in December. I want to continue building next year, but hopefully this will be the kickstart I need. I know 2-3 weeks is short, but what's a realistic time frame to see some real results?

I have never been so sick of eating in my life, lol. Eggs, steak, salmon chicken, protein shakes, etc. So far I am up almost 7 lbs. eating a little dirty probably, but I've never watched my diet before, so that will improve too as I learn better foods.

The ICF 5x5 and Stronglifts both look like they would be great. Thanks for your support! Any other advise, recommendations etc is super appreciated!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    My goal is to gain 10 pounds in December. I want to continue building next year, but hopefully this will be the kickstart I need. I know 2-3 weeks is short, but what's a realistic time frame to see some real results?

I have never been so sick of eating in my life, lol. Eggs, steak, salmon chicken, protein shakes, etc. So far I am up almost 7 lbs. eating a little dirty probably, but I've never watched my diet before, so that will improve too as I learn better foods.

The ICF 5x5 and Stronglifts both look like they would be great. Thanks for your support! Any other advise, recommendations etc is super appreciated!

I think you ned to adjust your goals. One pound per week is considered "aggressive" weight gain and anything over that is overkill, because most of your gains will be fat. At the most men can gain about two pound of muscle a month.

Unless you have a medical reason for needing to gain so much…??
  • ecjim
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I think you ned to adjust your goals. One pound per week is considered "aggressive" weight gain and anything over that is overkill, because most of your gains will be fat. At the most men can gain about two pound of muscle a month.

Unless you have a medical reason for needing to gain so much…??

▲▲▲ This is pretty accurate ▲▲▲ The exception might be a untrained younger male if everything is spot on - Do a fullbody program focusing on the big compound exercises. squat every work out - heavy - & high reps -Eastcoast Jim
  • rstewart30
    Options
    35 yr old, 6'1", 170.4lbs (on Dec 1). I do Office work, play soccer 1-2x per week. Just started light weights a few months ago, want to ramp it up. I know it's not realistic long term to gain quick. I guess that's the reason I'm on this site to hopefully get some realism: You know how depressing it is when you have unrealistic goals and fail them.

I'm going to try the ICF5x5 and still do soccer for cardio on my rest day if my legs aren't shot.

Thank you guys so much!!!
  • ecjim
    Options
    You are pretty lean - I would limit or skip the soccer - you need rest to gain the muscle you want to gain. do 3 intense workouts per week, you can finish each session with 20 rep squats for cardio
  • elite_nal
    elite_nal Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    35 yr old, 6'1", 170.4lbs (on Dec 1). I do Office work, play soccer 1-2x per week. Just started light weights a few months ago, want to ramp it up. I know it's not realistic long term to gain quick. I guess that's the reason I'm on this site to hopefully get some realism: You know how depressing it is when you have unrealistic goals and fail them.

I'm going to try the ICF5x5 and still do soccer for cardio on my rest day if my legs aren't shot.

Thank you guys so much!!!

Lift heavy and focus on getting stronger. Strength does lead into increases in muscle size. But remember, only if you're eating in a calorie surplus. So if you're training hard in the gym but you aren't providing your body with the raw materials needed to actually build new muscle, then you will gain strength, but only through those neural pathways. In other words, you'll get stronger, but not much bigger.

So in order for those strength increases to actually translate to new muscle, you need to be consistently taking in more calories than you burn and consuming a calorie surplus that your body can use to physically build new muscle. As long as you're doing this, size and strength are highly correlated, and gaining strength (progressive overload) is actually the single most important factor in your entire training plan.

Achieving ongoing strength gains should be your main focus in the gym, and this is why it's so important to keep a training logbook so that you can track your strength progression as efficiently as possible. Write down the weight, sets and reps, then focus on "beating the logbook" each week. The only thing here is that if you're a complete beginner, you might still be able to gain a small amount of muscle without a calorie surplus as your body can use some of the calories from stored fat to fuel the process. However, the gains will likely be modest and only temporary.

As long as you match up your strength gains with a calorie surplus. You'll be good to go.
  • rstewart30
    Options
    So I did my first ICF5x5 tonight! JEFit says I lifted 10% more weight than my usual leg day, and double every other day. This definitely seems like a good program for me. Still a serious challenge though! Thanks so much everyone for all your input!

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ecjim wrote: »
    You are pretty lean - I would limit or skip the soccer - you need rest to gain the muscle you want to gain. do 3 intense workouts per week, you can finish each session with 20 rep squats for cardio

As long as he can get the calories, he doesn't need to skip soccer. Many people bulk while doing cardio.. I know I plan on it. Generally, I would only recommend a person to skip cardio if they struggle to get calories.
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Don't forget those macro and micros Stewart. I'd argue that carbs would be more important for you at this point than protein. Lifting heavy you are going to need that energy. 50%c 25%p 25%f is what I'm currently running for my bulk this winter. You'll need to gauge and watch your weight and adjust accordingly.
  • rstewart30
    Options
    Wow that could be a challenge, my last 7 days average is 38c 24p 38f. having no problems hitting my carb surplus though.
  • tannerabrown318
    tannerabrown318 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Definitely focus on hitting a caloric surplus with around 50 percent of your diet being carbs. It's all about calories in vs. calories out and watching what your body is telling you - yes watching. Along with watching your physique transform, bulking needs to be a gradual process... if you're gaining weight too fast - which is most likely going to be fat if you stop in January - you've wasted valuable time to an incredible transformation. In the process of bulking you need to focus on the strength gains and muscle growth, which will be revealed after you cut cycle.
  • rstewart30
    Options
    Day 19, I'm up a solid 8lbs. I think today was the first time ever someone has said this to me; "Hey did you gain some weight?" 5x5 Must be working
  • rstewart30
    Options
    Question...these workouts have seemed tougher than normal, but I have not had any muscle soreness. Is that normal? Or is it because I'm finally eating enough carbs and protein?
  • kylewhitesides
    kylewhitesides Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Man you learn to love everything you eat and the protein and supps that you take it becomes a way of life. Not just some chore. You will learn to love it as the great JJ watt says:"Success isn't owned. It's leased, and rent is due every day." You'll get there don't worry. Everything probably seems so odd obsorbing all this new info so quickly you will find a routine that works for you and the supps that work for you.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Question...these workouts have seemed tougher than normal, but I have not had any muscle soreness. Is that normal? Or is it because I'm finally eating enough carbs and protein?

How much rest are you getting? And I assume that this is your first round of 5x5? In some case, the volume can be a little much for people, do deloading on weight for a week may be beneficial.