Carb Addicts Diet....

Options
I tried the Keto Diet (under 20 carbs daily) and did so for a month. I struggled only because no one else in my household really stuck to do it and I was constantly making two meals to satisfy everyone and just about everything I thoughts as healthy for you (veggies had carbs ?!?!?! & fruit was a no-no) and I have NEVER been a meat and fats person, so trying to get enough protein and fat in my diet, just wasn't easy. Plus my monthly cravings aren't sugar/chocolate, it's chips! A total no-no.

My MIL gave me a book, carb addicts diet while to read, since it was the same basic principle. Being 1 month off Keto now, I've gained half of what I lost. I decided to read through the book again. This time, Hubby is on board.

The idea of still being able to have carb as a RM (Reward Meal) seems more feasible, for both of us. Believe it or not, yesterday Hubby had his breakfast (egg omelet & bacon) a salad for lunch with some pork chop and cheese (not quite under 4g) said he was starving but when it came to dinner (and we ate out) he made better choices than me, ate half of his plate and was "satisfied". SUPRISE on his end. Hopefully we can stick to this one easier.

Has anyone had any good luck with this type of diet??? Any recommendations??? Recipes??? Struggles and success stories to help keep us going???

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I hope it works well for you. :)

I have what feels like a mild carb/sugar addiction so having cheats doesn't work well for me. It leads to eating too much and giving up control of my foods. I find staying on keto works better.

I eat the same meals as my family though so it isn't too hard. I just skip the starchy fillers like potatoes, noodles, rice, etc., and add a bit more fats to my meats.

Try paleo cook books or keto sites for food ideas. The Low Carber Daily group as a great thread right now on meal ideas for your lower carb meals.

Good luck.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I hope it works well for you. :)

I have what feels like a mild carb/sugar addiction so having cheats doesn't work well for me. It leads to eating too much and giving up control of my foods. I find staying on keto works better.

I eat the same meals as my family though so it isn't too hard. I just skip the starchy fillers like potatoes, noodles, rice, etc., and add a bit more fats to my meats.

Try paleo cook books or keto sites for food ideas. The Low Carber Daily group as a great thread right now on meal ideas for your lower carb meals.

Good luck.

I was going to recommend the Low Carb group as well, but since you beat me too it, I shall post a link: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I tried that diet years ago when the book first came out.

I think if it works for you, it's great.

As long as you're still paying attention to calories.

My problem at the time? I thought it was magic and wasn't paying attention to calories. Needless to say, I didn't lose weight. I managed to pack away a lot of calories in that reward meal.
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Keto was not sustainable for me. For months I did keto during the week with a massive carby cheat meal on Saturday. I feel a whole heck of a lot better since I switched to IIFYM and I am still in a downward weight trend but I'm close to goal so it's going a little slowly.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Why do you believe you are "addicted" specifically to carbs? This implies that in order to "recover" you can't have carbs at all, and that would not be healthy. 20 grams of carbs per day is pretty strict, but some people manage quite well.

I don't believe food should ever be a reward. That's what sent me on the path of binge eating then an eating disorder as a late teen and young adult, then back to binge eating.

I don't believe in cheat meals either.

Find something that is sustainable for you. Keto is just a way to restrict calories so that you eat less than you burn, which is what leads to weight loss.

The only requirement for weight loss is eating less calories than you burn, anything outside of that is preference.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    mnalsa83 wrote: »
    I tried the Keto Diet (under 20 carbs daily) and did so for a month. I struggled only because no one else in my household really stuck to do it and I was constantly making two meals to satisfy everyone and just about everything I thoughts as healthy for you (veggies had carbs ?!?!?! & fruit was a no-no) and I have NEVER been a meat and fats person, so trying to get enough protein and fat in my diet, just wasn't easy. Plus my monthly cravings aren't sugar/chocolate, it's chips! A total no-no.

My MIL gave me a book, carb addicts diet while to read, since it was the same basic principle. Being 1 month off Keto now, I've gained half of what I lost. I decided to read through the book again. This time, Hubby is on board.

The idea of still being able to have carb as a RM (Reward Meal) seems more feasible, for both of us. Believe it or not, yesterday Hubby had his breakfast (egg omelet & bacon) a salad for lunch with some pork chop and cheese (not quite under 4g) said he was starving but when it came to dinner (and we ate out) he made better choices than me, ate half of his plate and was "satisfied". SUPRISE on his end. Hopefully we can stick to this one easier.

Has anyone had any good luck with this type of diet??? Any recommendations??? Recipes??? Struggles and success stories to help keep us going???

If you really love carbs and have no medical need to eliminate them - why bother with a low carb diet? It's certainly not the only way to lose weight, nor does it really give any better fat loss than other diets (there is a bit more water weight / glycogen loss). Frankly, unless you're going to eat low carb for life, it won't really do any favors to go low carb for weight loss, because you won't learn how to maintain unless your weight loss uses a similar strategy to maintenance.

I'm 65 pounds down since the summer, and my last week's meals have included:
    * Pizza twice (once at a really good pizzeria, once at a party)
    * A half-pound hamburger with tomato, lettuce, and onion, plus gelato and a cookie
    * Tacos
    * Waffles with syrup
    * Sugary breakfast cereal (one of my common snack foods)
    * Spaghetti with delicious garlic dinner rolls
    * Frozen custard

I fail any "clean eating" or "low carb" diet pretty badly, yet I'm overall very successful with weight loss and it's very easy to adhere to my diet as all I really do is control portions. I plan my next day in advance and use a scale to portion out what I eat.

Any food I can fit into my calorie and protein goals is on the menu. Yes, I reduced the amount of certain kinds of sweets because they were high-calorie and not very filling (donuts, I'm looking at you) but I haven't eliminated them, just maybe a donut is a once-a-month thing and not a three-times-a-week thing like before.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    If this is what you've decided fine but I lost my weight and maintain eating 50-60% carbs

As others have said it is personal choice not inevitable when you are looking to loose weight how many carbs you eat

For me, any form of carb restriction resulted in major bounce back

Learning to work my calories to my satisfaction, which admittedly results in fewer carbs (250-350g on average) but only because I am calorie aware , had been my route to hitting goal and maintaining

I also own that book...and Harcombe, and Atkins etc
  • mnalsa83
    mnalsa83 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Dreysander wrote: »
    Keto was not sustainable for me. For months I did keto during the week with a massive carby cheat meal on Saturday. I feel a whole heck of a lot better since I switched to IIFYM and I am still in a downward weight trend but I'm close to goal so it's going a little slowly.

IIFYM???
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
  • mnalsa83
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Why do you believe you are "addicted" specifically to carbs? This implies that in order to "recover" you can't have carbs at all, and that would not be healthy. 20 grams of carbs per day is pretty strict, but some people manage quite well.

I don't believe food should ever be a reward. That's what sent me on the path of binge eating then an eating disorder as a late teen and young adult, then back to binge eating.

Find something that is sustainable for you. Keto is just a way to restrict calories so that you eat less than you burn, which is what leads to weight loss.

The only requirement for weight loss is eating less calories than you burn, anything outside of that is preference.

I say addicted because I am NOT a big fan of Meats period and two, oils butters etc. as far as healthy fats I have never been one to cook with.... what I would prefer my meals being is rice, beans, potatoes, veggies and fruit .... Carbs. So eating nothing but those items leaves me feeling tired and blah. I am not, nor have I ever been overweight, but I do have a bit to lose. I have to force myself to eat meat as it is, so the low carb diets (Atkins & Kato) was not easy because then all I wanted was the salty crunchy carb... I can easily sit down and eat a bag of tortilla chips alone by my self (especially that time of month). So the idea of having a RM, and being able to have some carbs, will hopefully satisfy the need i crave, but still limit the amount that I actually eat.
  • catharinamkotze
    catharinamkotze Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Google Tim Noakes banting diet.
    Sounds similar.
    One of the healthiest things you can do for your body is to cut carbs below 50g per day.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Sounds similar.
    One of the healthiest things you can do for your body is to cut carbs below 50g per day.

Based upon what science?
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Sounds similar.

El oh el
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Dreysander wrote: »

IIFYM is not a specific diet...it is only eating to the macro goals that one sets. Thus if someone sets the carb macros to 20%...protein and fats to 40% each and eats to fulfill those goals then they have used IIFYM.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I say addicted because I am NOT a big fan of Meats period and two, oils butters etc. as far as healthy fats I have never been one to cook with.... what I would prefer my meals being is rice, beans, potatoes, veggies and fruit .... Carbs. So eating nothing but those items leaves me feeling tired and blah. I am not, nor have I ever been overweight, but I do have a bit to lose. I have to force myself to eat meat as it is, so the low carb diets (Atkins & Kato) was not easy because then all I wanted was the salty crunchy carb... I can easily sit down and eat a bag of tortilla chips alone by my self (especially that time of month). So the idea of having a RM, and being able to have some carbs, will hopefully satisfy the need i crave, but still limit the amount that I actually eat.

I don't think that sounds like addiction, just preference.

With those preferences, what I'd probably do is focus on the standard default macros recommended by MFP or a calculation of the recommended amounts of protein and fat by body weight (benefit up to about .65 g of protein per lb of healthy body weight, something like .35 g of fat per healthy body weight) and not worry about anything but hitting the minimums with the macros that you are less inclined toward. That, as well as focusing on including lots of healthy carbs like legumes, vegetables and fruits, whole grains, would make sure you have a balanced diet and would be easier for me than being super strict (and pursuing a macro mix I didn't care for) most of the time and then having a blow out meal.

But obviously you should try whatever you want. Many of us have lost easily without cutting way down on our carb percentage, though. I tend to enjoy protein and fat (both tend to end up a bit higher than my goals without me trying), but I still focus on getting 40-50% carbs and have not had any problem losing with that amount (and others with different preferences eat even more).
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

I don't like meat either.

So I don't eat it.

It does sound like you tend to like a lot of the starchy carbs, and you say they left you feeling tired and blah.

Let me ask you this... when you were eating that way, did you pay attention to how much protein you were eating?

What if I told you that it's possible to tweak your preferred way of eating and still lose weight AND not feel that tired, blah feeling?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

@mnalsa83 I only cut my carbs to <50 grams daily. Now I eat anything at anytime as long as it does not contain any form of grains or most forms of sugars. It has been my way of eating since Oct 2014 and still is Dec 2015. At my age I finally gave up on trying to 'lose' weight and just started eating in a way that makes me feel better. As my health improves the weight is slowly dropping as a side effect of having no food cravings.
  • mnalsa83
    Options

I don't like meat either.

So I don't eat it.

It does sound like you tend to like a lot of the starchy carbs, and you say they left you feeling tired and blah.

Let me ask you this... when you were eating that way, did you pay attention to how much protein you were eating?

What if I told you that it's possible to tweak your preferred way of eating and still lose weight AND not feel that tired, blah feeling?

Like I said before, I am don't prefer meat... My protein, even now with trying to eat more of it, is still under 70g a day where my carbs without watching, were well over 200g daily. My source of protein came normally from the bit of legumes that I did eat (mainly black and garbanzo beans). Actual meat is usually chicken and no more than maybe 3-4Oz daily. Red meat, a lot less. There were the occasional "green" shakes that I put protein powder in as well.

If you have ideas, I'd love to hear...
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Sounds similar.

Nope, not true. The healthiest thing you can do is find a diet that is sustainable for you.
  • catharinamkotze
    catharinamkotze Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Sounds similar.

Based upon what science?

Actually, you will find that there are several recent studies promoting this, where as there are no studies that has proved a high carb diet is ideal.
    In fact, since most overweight and obese people are in some way insulin resistant, they should not consume sugars.
    Carbs are a nutrient you do not need to survive, but you do need fats and protein.
    Remember, early humans did not have access to carbs.
    They lived near the coastline, eating fish and fats.
    Our bodies are designed that way.
    Urgh, I know I should give you some quotes here to convince you.
    I know it worked for me.
    I lost 40kg this year and I did not feel hungry once, because a high fat diet keeps you fuller for longer, which means you will consume less calories.