What foods keep you full AND under your cal limit?

Options
13»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    For me it's a mix of all three macros

So my egg whites with mushroom, spinach and cheese breakfast doesn't keep me satisfied unless it's on toast with a big of steaming coffee. Coffee is a macro isn't it? ;)

My stews need 100g basmati rice to have the satisfying effect.

Same here. But it changes depending on my cycle too. Something that will keep me full for hours a week after my period will fill me up for 1 hour the week before my period. So it's tricky. I'm almost at my 3rd year on MFP and I still get surprised every month by what actually keeps me full (or not).

The only thing that won't keep me full on a 'normal' day though is typically cookies or crackers or bread, but if I have something else with them, it's fine (I just try to limit myself to 200 calories of those in a day).
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Avocado, eggs, tuna are the three foods that keep me the fullest the longest
  • Runagain_4
    Runagain_4 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Tblackdogs wrote: »
    There are some foods that especially keep me full but what works best for me is planning ahead. Doesn't mean I pre-log but I do plan out my day. On the days I work early I just eat a little in the morning but I have a really big lunch. That easily gets me through to dinner. Then most days I try to have dinner be the last food I eat. After that I just drink tea! As for the specific foods I'd say, eggs, high fiber bread with peanut butter, a hunk of cheese etc.

Pre-planning and pre-preparing meals does it for me too. For the last 4 months I've been sticking to pretty much the same meals every day (salad with tuna, veg and balsamic glaze/evoo for lunch; Moroccan eggs or oatmeal with banana & nut butter for breakfast; fish or chicken breast with loads of veg for dinner; rarely snacks). Fish is a rotation of salmon, tuna steak, white fish and shrimp. I don't like to say I've eliminated rice and pasta, but the reality is I don't cook them anymore because I can't stop myself from eating mounds. And the funny thing is I've stopped being hungry all the time and thinking about food all the time.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Fiber definitely. Making sure there are 3 veggies for every meat serving on the plate, beans even better. If hunger is really distracting me an hour or so before it's really time for the next meal, my standard go-to in an emergency is V8 (especially with fiber added). For 70 calories, it's likely to remove hunger for quite a while and even make me less inclined to eat such a big meal when it's time. Also great, naturally, for staying regular. My doctor, and some researchers, claim it reduces cholesterol as well.
  • lml852014
    lml852014 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    eggs, PB, cottage cheese, almonds, quest protein bars
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Any soup is filling. Anything high fibre.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I'm not so sure any more. I seem to need a combination of protein and carbs. Fat in just the minimal amount necessary for health. That's these days. It used to be different, so it might change again.

The exception to this is popcorn. A bowl of that will keep me full for a long time.

Your first paragraph sounds so familiar. Every time I think I've figured myself out, I go and change again :unamused:

Me, too.

I wonder if part of what happens is that we find something that works, but part of it working is mental. I know my brain needs to be satisfied just as much as my stomach. Then we do whatever works more frequently, start getting bored, and that thing doesn't work so well any more. I do know that if I revisit old tricks after dropping them for a while they seem to work again.

Anywho, right now, I'm enjoying grits (coarse ground cornmeal, actually) cooked in water with a little butter and eggs. The eggs really should be poached, but I overcooked them while I was running around this morning. Ah, well. 1/2 c. cornmeal, 2 cups water, 1/2 tbsp butter, add 2 eggs = 410 cals. Should last me most of the day.

Also, brothy soups work for me as long as it's cold out.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that does not find nits or seeds filling at all!! For the calories in a few nuts, I don't find that it keeps me feeling full at all.

An ounce of nuts is satisfying to me only if I also pair it with a few ounces of apple. Seems like I need that volume as well.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    My problem time is in the morning, between breakfast and lunch. For the last couple of weeks I have been eating deli turkey, some cheese and a couple of crackers. Not the traditional breakfast food, more lunch, but it is controlling my appetite much better.
  • ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Raw veggies! Great source of fiber and protein and... I like them! Broccoli and Cauliflower flowerets, baby/mini carrots, strips of fresh bell peppers. And then wash it down with a large cup of coffee/tea/water/etc.
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I like to put a slice or two of coldcut turkey on a big salad, or even like pastrami sometimes...shirataki noodles are my new faaavorite thing...MISO paste- if you have miso paste in the house you can ALWAYS make a soup and bulk things out...I like to eat for quantity. Oatmeal is great, too.
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    For volume, foods with lots of water and fibre. For me that is soups and raw vegetables.
    I suspect that protein is an appetite suppressant.

The best suppressant of all is being active so I don't think about food.
    If I'm angry or emotionally "stressed" I find it very difficult to not binge on candy.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    For me it's a mix of all three macros

So my egg whites with mushroom, spinach and cheese breakfast doesn't keep me satisfied unless it's on toast with a big of steaming coffee. Coffee is a macro isn't it? ;)

My stews need 100g basmati rice to have the satisfying effect.

Yep, this was going to be my response too (especially the coffee macro).

I find I'm able to do best when I have a nice balance of all three. I also (personally) find that to generally be the tastiest.
  • lingo10
    lingo10 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Fiberous foods that has a good amount of protein, low glycemic sometimes. :)

Veggies that are water dense are great.
    Sandwiches and wraps using only whole wheat or that arnold double protein bread, 15 grains. All so yummy and filling.

Soup with veggies in it are good.

In terms of snacks, can make your own trail mix with good and delicious things in little tiny sandwich baggies and of course water!

And remember dont eat to just eat, when you have something take more bites and truly enjoy it be in the moment :D
  • wendymoira
    wendymoira Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Soup (broth- or veggie-based), big stir-fries of vegetables with a little protein, eggs or tuna or other lean protein with veg or fruit. I do love carbs, but they don't keep me full very well.
  • riceflourde
    riceflourde Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    carrots in between meals