Carbs and Fat

Options
How on earth can I eat both low carb AND low fat, when proteins have a fair amount of fat? What's left to eat?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Were you told to eat low fat/ low carb?
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Why eat low carb and low fat?

Unless you have been medically advised to cut carbs & fat for a medical condition, there is absolutely no need to cut carbs and/or fat.

Fat is really great at keeping you feeling full and is needed for some essential metabolic processes.
    Carbs are a good energy source and are super tasty.

Why give them up?
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Do you have medical condition that requires you to eat low carb and low fat? If not and you think this is necessary for weight loss, its not. Eating less calories than your body uses is needed to lose weight. Doesnt matter if the calories come from carbs, fat or protein.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    If you reduce or increase one macro percentage, the other macros adjust accordingly. My carbs are low, so my fat and protein are high. So, you can't do low carb and low fat...unless you wanted to eat that much protein, but it's expensive and I don't think it's healthy to do that.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Good question. After you log for a week or two, you analyze and then decide which foods to reduce. You can eat the exact same foods that you were eating before you started trying to lose weight as long as you eat less of them.
    Eat the carbs you like. Eat the protein. Eat fats because they are important.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    How on earth can I eat both low carb AND low fat, when proteins have a fair amount of fat? What's left to eat?

Not all proteins have a fair amount of fat, but if you eat low fat and low carb all you have left is protein, and eating super high protein isn't recommended. Why are you trying to eat low carb and low fat? Knowing your reasoning and objectives might help.

(I don't eat low carb or low fat -- I do a balanced approach of 40-50% carbs, 30% fat, and 20-30% protein, depending on my overall calories. But as long as I get my minimum protein and a generally healthy diet I don't actually sweat carbs vs. fat on a particular day.)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Lean meats, beans and legumes, veggies, veggies, veggies, oatmeal, eggs, lowfat yogurt and kefir, moderate portions of hard cheeses such as parmesan (lost of flavor in smaller portions), fish. . . Those are some go -tos
  • Karstey050
    Karstey050 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Not all proteins have a fair amount of fat, but if you eat low fat and low carb all you have left is protein, and eating super high protein isn't recommended. Why are you trying to eat low carb and low fat? Knowing your reasoning and objectives might help.

(I don't eat low carb or low fat -- I do a balanced approach of 40-50% carbs, 30% fat, and 20-30% protein, depending on my overall calories. But as long as I get my minimum protein and a generally healthy diet I don't actually sweat carbs vs. fat on a particular day.)

My doctor told me to avoid starches and sugars and fat! But I can't do that because then I can't even have the recommended servings of whole grains and fruits. I just can't live on non-starchy veggies and lean meats.
  • Karstey050
    Options
    If you reduce or increase one macro percentage, the other macros adjust accordingly. My carbs are low, so my fat and protein are high. So, you can't do low carb and low fat...unless you wanted to eat that much protein, but it's expensive and I don't think it's healthy to do that.

That's my dilemma! Not only that, I have to avoid salt, too.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    edited December 2015
    Options

My doctor told me to avoid starches and sugars and fat! But I can't do that because then I can't even have the recommended servings of whole grains and fruits. I just can't live on non-starchy veggies and lean meats.

lol I'm laughing, but I know, it's not funny! Seriously though. I eat 40-50%fat, and no hindrance to weight loss. It tastes nice, and keeps me full. And fiber of course.
  • RodaRose
    Options

What exactly did the doctor tell you? What does the dr think counts as starch? Bread? What counts as sugar? Fruit?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Why did he tell you this? Is this for a medical condition?
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Options

That's my dilemma! Not only that, I have to avoid salt, too.
    Have you used the unrefined salts like himilayan or RealSalt? They are actually more flavorful. I've read they are better for you too.
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    ps...most doctors are not nutritionist. Unless you have a medical issue dont avoid any macro-nutrient
  • Karstey050
    edited December 2015
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    Do you have medical condition that requires you to eat low carb and low fat? If not and you think this is necessary for weight loss, its not. Eating less calories than your body uses is needed to lose weight. Doesnt matter if the calories come from carbs, fat or protein.

I need to lose weight and lower my blood pressure. Also, my cholesterol is a little high. My doctor told me to avoid starches, fat, and salt.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Your doc is an idiot. Seek a second opinion.
  • RodaRose
    Options
    Reduce salt by adding some home cooked meals. Our bodies need a certain amount of fat and oils.
  • Karstey050
    Options
    ps...most doctors are not nutritionist. Unless you have a medical issue dont avoid any macro-nutrient

:) Thank you!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »

I need to lose weight and lower my blood pressure. Also, my cholesterol is a little high. My doctor told me to avoid starches, fat, and salt.

As savage said, most doctors are not really trained in nutrition. I would consider looking for a registered dietitian (not a nutritionist) to work with.

The main thing is that you eat at a healthy deficit for weight loss (Healthy in regards to how large the deficit is, not the foods).
  • Karstey050
    Options

lol I'm laughing, but I know, it's not funny! Seriously though. I eat 40-50%fat, and no hindrance to weight loss. It tastes nice, and keeps me full. And fiber of course.