Why do so many ladies not lift?

Options
18910111214»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    scrittrice wrote: »
    I think you're overlooking the obvious: our girlie-brains are not genetically designed to handle math, so figuring out which plates to put on the bar is impossible for us. hfjnroms2r81.png

Wait. I thought it was because my vagina would fall out. I mean I carry a bag around just for it so it doesn't drag around on the ground because it falls out when I pick up heavy things.
  • rtamayo
    rtamayo Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    They are afraid they will bulk up like men! My sister in law told me I was going to look like a man when I told her ive been lifting for two months.
    I showed her my before and after pics and she took it back, lol.
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    rtamayo wrote: »
    They are afraid they will bulk up like men! My sister in law told me I was going to look like a man when I told her ive been lifting for two months.
    I showed her my before and after pics and she took it back, lol.

Yep. This is what holds so many females back. You can blame the mainstream media and how it misleads people on how "cardio" or "clean-eating" is how to improve your body composition.
  • ldowdesw
    ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Because I've never lifted anything and I don't know where to start!
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Initially I was put off by the braindead trainer at my gym who wouldn't show me how to use them and instead patronised me with *kitten* about bulk and femininity and wrote me a useless program of stupid machines.
    Then I discovered running and fell in love.
    And finally, if ever I was tempted, there's a small amount of spite at the holier-than-thou club (many of whom I've seen round these parts) who act like lifting is the be all and end all of fitness.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    ldowdesw wrote: »
    Because I've never lifted anything and I don't know where to start!

This. Most women, it's because of this.

I think many would LOVE to get stronger and know that lifting weights will do that, they just don't know where to start.

I started working out/lifting on January 9th this year, and used to be pretty judgmental towards women on the treadmills at the time. Then I got on a treadmill, with the encouragement of my lifting partner, and ran for the first time since high school. I love it.
    I also love lifting and getting progressively stronger.

I love lifting heavy AND doing cardio...what AM I?! :scream: