dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I lift everyday. Although I hate the burn feeling I see benefits in my body
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    I'm not sure I've seen that reason stated before in this thread, but I suspect that could be another valid answer to the question of why many women don't lift.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I've seen that reason stated before in this thread, but I suspect that could be another valid answer to the question of why many women don't lift.

What? Because we are famous for having low pain thresholds or something? :huh:

Women cope as well with DOMS as men do, and tbh they're not limited to lifting nor are they necessarily the result of a workout
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Women have higher pain thresholds. Scientifically.
  • ForecasterJason
    edited December 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Women cope as well with DOMS as men do, and tbh they're not limited to lifting nor are they necessarily the result of a workout
    No, what I meant was her comment about not liking the burn feeling. In other words, maybe that's something that deters more women from lifting.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

No, what I meant was her comment about not liking the burn feeling. In other words, maybe that's something that deters more women from lifting.

Are we talking about soreness? What burn? I've never felt burning.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Only if I took too much PWO.
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    jemhh wrote:

My guess is she's referring to the acidic buildup in the muscles (see this article). Granted, this isn't exclusively limited to weight lifting.
  • summerdaze120
    summerdaze120 Posts: 425 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    For me, I never really thought about lifting heavy as a way to lose weight. I was always under the impression that to lose weight you had to move your body and eat less. It seemed to me that everyone in the weights section was already in shape and was just "toning up" for the hell of it. I guess I thought they had lost weight from cardio and then went to weight lifting. Also, as others have said, once I realized how beneficial weight training really was, I was still apprehensive to try it by myself - that's why I got a PT to show me the ropes. I lift heavy 3 days a week and I am loving every minute of it! Super addictive once you see your body transforming.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    joinn68 wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Many women lift here

I don't lift, I don't want to. I lift myself and have no interest in weights
    23571433661_52be5de1c0_n.jpg

I am so jealous ! I have wanted to try this for so long, but I suffer from vertigo which I have been told is one of the very few reasons not to try aerial yoga :( I have a friend who teaches, and even she would not let me.

Until I saw your comment and had a second look, I thought (and wondering why) the picture as upside down B)

I do love inversions
    14229650093_235ebeca70_n.jpgr
    Not sure I'd do that myself.

I'm a yoga teacher and while I know nothing about aerial yoga, this looks to be easier on the body than a traditional handstand.
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    For me, I never really thought about lifting heavy as a way to lose weight. I was always under the impression that to lose weight you had to move your body and eat less. It seemed to me that everyone in the weights section was already in shape and was just "toning up" for the hell of it. I guess I thought they had lost weight from cardio and then went to weight lifting. Also, as others have said, once I realized how beneficial weight training really was, I was still apprehensive to try it by myself - that's why I got a PT to show me the ropes. I lift heavy 3 days a week and I am loving every minute of it! Super addictive once you see your body transforming.

Amen, although I never use the word "toning up"
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

I experience a much more intense burn feeling when sprinting, or swimming fast or doing a large volume of bodyweight squats than when I am lifting heavy, so this makes no sense to me.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Have you ever seen a guy in a cardio class? They rarely last the entire hour.

With weights and women, the perception that they're going to bulk up is incredibly pervasive no matter how many times they hear they won't or even see that we don't.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I never thought of lifting prior to finding MFP, its not something people know much about, we are inclined to think body builders I guess?.... then I read all I could about it on the forums, saw how others had achieved great results, started lifting and haven't looked back! Lifting rocks :smiley:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Have you ever seen a guy in a cardio class? They rarely last the entire hour.

With weights and women, the perception that they're going to bulk up is incredibly pervasive no matter how many times they hear they won't or even see that we don't.

Awesome New av @47Jacqueline
  • jemhh
    Options
    I don't really talk about exercise with that many people IRL. However, the people in my office (all women and all pretty outspoken) know that I lift and nobody has ever said anything like "oh you'll get bulky." I'm not sure if that is due to good manners, not thinking that lifting weights = bulkiness, or the fact that I've lost weight (gotten smaller) while lifting.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    joinn68 wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Many women lift here

I don't lift, I don't want to. I lift myself and have no interest in weights
    23571433661_52be5de1c0_n.jpg

I am so jealous ! I have wanted to try this for so long, but I suffer from vertigo which I have been told is one of the very few reasons not to try aerial yoga :( I have a friend who teaches, and even she would not let me.

Until I saw your comment and had a second look, I thought (and wondering why) the picture as upside down B)

I do love inversions
    14229650093_235ebeca70_n.jpgr
    Not sure I'd do that myself.

I'm a yoga teacher and while I know nothing about aerial yoga, this looks to be easier on the body than a traditional handstand.

it is. i have a form of myalgia and that why i started doing it. it supports when i need it too and then there is all the body lifts that you have to do. here is an article that just came out. and an album of basic-ish moves we teach. it's great. I teach a more restorative aerial yoga version wednesdays. last week, we did aerial yoga for headaches :)
    and from here, you can move on to the aerial arts where there is even more body weight work.
    //endhijack but this is why i don't lift
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I want to lift. My husband and I are saving up to buy a house right now and we've already talked about buying some home lifting equipment. He wants an olympic barbell with weights and a bench. I said we should add a squat rack.

In my head, I know that to lift at home without a spotter I can do it safely with proper form and with the rack. But that's the extent of my knowledge. I have no idea what "proper form" looks like or how to use the rack. No clue. And youtube has a ton of shady videos and I don't know which ones to trust or not.

It would be helpful (and might already exist) if there was a group here with links to youtube videos for the basics of lifting. What proper form looks like for each movement and how to set up the safety bars or whatever for squats, bench presses, etc. I'd like to know what is or is not a reputable video that I can trust.

In the meantime, I've been following the "You are your own gym" program to build some base strength. I mean, I can't even do 1 pull up, so at this point anything is better than nothing.
  • jemhh
    Options
    I want to lift. My husband and I are saving up to buy a house right now and we've already talked about buying some home lifting equipment. He wants an olympic barbell with weights and a bench. I said we should add a squat rack.

In my head, I know that to lift at home without a spotter I can do it safely with proper form and with the rack. But that's the extent of my knowledge. I have no idea what "proper form" looks like or how to use the rack. No clue. And youtube has a ton of shady videos and I don't know which ones to trust or not.

It would be helpful (and might already exist) if there was a group here with links to youtube videos for the basics of lifting. What proper form looks like for each movement and how to set up the safety bars or whatever for squats, bench presses, etc. I'd like to know what is or is not a reputable video that I can trust.

In the meantime, I've been following the "You are your own gym" program to build some base strength. I mean, I can't even do 1 pull up, so at this point anything is better than nothing.

I have found that the following people on youtube are helpful to watch: Alan Thrall, the Buff Dudes, and Scott Herman. There are others for sure but I tend to get more out of their videos than others.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I have found that the following people on youtube are helpful to watch: Alan Thrall, the Buff Dudes, and Scott Herman. There are others for sure but I tend to get more out of their videos than others.

Or watch videos on bodybuilding.com rather than youtube...