Why do so many ladies not lift?

Options

Replies

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I'm going to start in Jan... As pp said before.... Trying to eat at a deficit and not getting credit for lifting is a bit hard to swallow... An hour on the treadmill gains me 200-300 calories; whereas lifting for 45 min is uncertain... It's more of a mental block but I'm gonna do it anyway.

The credit you get from lifting may not come in extra food but it does come in smaller clothes and more confidence :)

I'll let you know if that's true after my first 12 weeks of 5x5 :)

It's only been 10 weeks, but I would love a progress update!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    I want to lift. My husband and I are saving up to buy a house right now and we've already talked about buying some home lifting equipment. He wants an olympic barbell with weights and a bench. I said we should add a squat rack.

In my head, I know that to lift at home without a spotter I can do it safely with proper form and with the rack. But that's the extent of my knowledge. I have no idea what "proper form" looks like or how to use the rack. No clue. And youtube has a ton of shady videos and I don't know which ones to trust or not.

It would be helpful (and might already exist) if there was a group here with links to youtube videos for the basics of lifting. What proper form looks like for each movement and how to set up the safety bars or whatever for squats, bench presses, etc. I'd like to know what is or is not a reputable video that I can trust.

In the meantime, I've been following the "You are your own gym" program to build some base strength. I mean, I can't even do 1 pull up, so at this point anything is better than nothing.

To learn form, you could join a gym with a short-term contract and take a few sessions with a personal trainer. I'm really glad I took four sessions with a PT in a small group class at the Y. It was cheap, too.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    If women don't want to lift weights-fine. I don't want to do cardio, so I don't.

But if a woman is interested in lifting, but doesn't because of some reason/fear, I suggest just doing it and getting over the fear. Because you will look and feel incredible.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I was never afraid lifting would make me huge. I knew it required a lot more discipline than I would be willing to have to look like a body builder.

I did think it might make me lose my curves and look more boyish. I'm pair shaped, and liked having hips and a nice tush to make up for my lack of boobage. But lifting just make me curvier. It gave my shoulders a little more oomph and perked up my bottom, sucked in my waist and made my pear shape appear more hourglass. I'm thrilled by what it does for my shape, even though I don't particularly enjoy it.

Although lifting at home while watching Netflix is certainly an improvement over lifting at a gym.

• 16golfr
    16golfr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Females are odd at the gym... 80% of them cardio/abs..maybe pickup a super heavy 5lb dumbbell and lift it 5 times
    10% of them just squat to have a big *kitten*.. the other 10% is a mix of girls "pretending to work out, and girls actually working out"

Don't be intimidated by us males.. most of us are friendly, will move out of your way.. you can ask questions we don't bite we will not grunt at you.. if you do break a sweat, it's not the end of the world.

We can also spot you...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    16golfr wrote: »
    Females are odd at the gym... 80% of them cardio/abs..maybe pickup a super heavy 5lb dumbbell and lift it 5 times
    10% of them just squat to have a big *kitten*.. the other 10% is a mix of girls "pretending to work out, and girls actually working out"

Don't be intimidated by us males.. most of us are friendly, will move out of your way.. you can ask questions we don't bite we will not grunt at you.. if you do break a sweat, it's not the end of the world.

We can also spot you...

Does 'friendly' = mocking and demeaning?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

We can also spot you...

edit: I don't think i can respond to this in a civil manner
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

We can also spot you...

It really does depend on the person's goals and preferences. There is nothing wrong with having cardio goals, or with having goals where a 5 lb dumbbell or doing only squats is enough. People who are in the gym for social interactions or just to waste some time also have the right to do that. People who swim and people who just tan and bake under the sun co-exist peacefully at a pool or a beach, why can't all people of all goals and preferences spend the time they paid for at the gym doing whatever they want as long as they are not stepping on anyone's toes without being singled out as "not belonging"? Cardio is in no way inferior to lifting, just a different kind of beast to tackle.
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    At my gym the weights section is a bloody sausage fest. Depressing looking at blokes. I would love there to be more girls lifting instead of on the cardio machines facing the wall for an hour. My gym is like a bloody school disco. All of the men in one corner lifting weights and all of the girls over the other end doing cardio. Neither making eye contact. I've seen one girl brave enough to go into the free weight section this month and that was only to pick up a dumbbell to take to the mats over the other side of the room to do situps.

well that is just tragic! I find that at many big box gyms I see the same thing. I joined a Gold's Gym and while still a bit "big box" I see a lot more serious lifters including a good number of lifting ladies!! Its awesome.
  • 16golfr
    edited February 2016
    Options
    ---Does 'friendly' = mocking and demeaning?

No, it means friendly...

---edit: I don't think i can respond to this in a civil manner

Okay then, have a feeling a feminist comment is coming up....

Here is the hard truth, because of the lovely media we have.. a STRONGmajority of girls do cardio and abs so they can look like this..
    Awesome Arm Workout = Skinny??

53a0a88c95761_-_cos-01-nina-dobrev-september-2013-cover-de.jpg

Most think that if they pickup a dumbbell, they will look like this..
    even though this would take years and tons of dedication

article-2424291-1BE3E151000005DC-987_634x864.jpg

PROVE ME WRONG

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

We can also spot you...

Yeah, us females only go to the gym to run and build bigger butts so we can attract you men-folk. And I know when I'm in there lifting I just have so many questions. Is, like, the big long bar used for squatting? What's the scary looking rack thingy? Where can I find all of the pretty pink weights?

I really do wish you were a member at my gym so you could pat me on the back and tell me sweating is okay after I've just done my squats and deads. Whatever would the womenz at the gym do without a standup guy like you to comfort us through our workouts?
  • terem00
    terem00 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Girls ask me my secret all the time and I tell them I lift.
    None of them believe me... except for one!
    She started lifting and has gone on to lose 40lbs! B)
  • rainbowbow
    Options

No, it means friendly...

It has nothing to do with sex. This is exactly my problem with your initial post.

It's pathetic, quite frankly, to make such sweeping generalizations based on sex. I see plenty of men doing cardio, i see plenty of men lifting too heavy for their strength level, i see plenty of men only working out their chest and arms and nothing else. Does that mean (according to your statistics) that 100% of men have no clue what they're doing in the gym?

Can we all assume you have a perfect routine or perfect physique?

I'm a personal trainer, I have a well rounded routine, i lift weights. And i see so many people in the gym not working out to a "perfect" bodybuilding routine. That's not everyone's goal. I see men and women who enjoy doing cardio, who enjoy running or cycling, who only perform "cardio". What if i told you they may be training for a physical goal instead of an aesthetic one?

I see plenty of women lifting what i'd consider "light" and performing a lot of repititions. I also see men performing half reps and sh$$ty reps blowing out their knees and rotator cuffs by trying to lift way beyond their means. This is not a gender specific issue. In theory, women generally prefer to train for endurance (and lack the same strength as men especially in upper body) and men prefer to train for maximal strength (and low repetitions). Both are fine.

As far as women working out their butts? I see men doing nothing but chest and biceps all the time. They are training in a manner that they think will improve their physique or be more attractive to the opposite sex.

Neither you nor I have the right to judge these people, and we shouldn't make sweeping assumptions based on these common stereotypes. I know plenty of men and women who don't fall into the above categories. its not an 80/10/10% ratio. I wouldn't even say it is the majority.

Lastly, your assumption that "women are just so intimidated" by your clearly manly physique is laughable. What if i told you not all of us need to ask you for advice or your opinion? What if i told you some women aren't lifting weights not because we're intimidated and ignorant on proper form, but because it doesn't align with our interest and goals? And if we break a sweat? Are you implying that other than lifting weights women are incapable of getting a good workout in?

Your entire post is an ego stroking attempt at a humble brag. I'm not impressed.

I'm not a "feminist". But cool story, bro
  • 16golfr
    edited February 2016
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

Yeah, us females only go to the gym to run and build bigger butts so we can attract you men-folk. And I know when I'm in there lifting I just have so many questions. Is, like, the big long bar used for squatting? What's the scary looking rack thingy? Where can I find all of the pretty pink weights?

I really do wish you were a member at my gym so you could pat me on the back and tell me sweating is okay after I've just done my squats and deads. Whatever would the womenz at the gym do without a standup guy like you to comfort us through our workouts?

Cavemen Approves this post :)

Your reading skills apparently suck though..

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

No, it means friendly...

Here is the hard truth, because of the lovely media we have.. a STRONGmajority of girls do cardio and abs so they can look like this..

PROVE ME WRONG

My experience in talking to other women is that the majority do cardio and abs because that is what they know to do, not to look like women on the cover of Cosmo. It's easy to go to a gym and get on a stair stepper or treadmill without having to do much studying up beforehand. Lifting weights, again for most women I know, would be an entirely new activity that takes a bit more time and effort than "walk in, get going." For some of us, it's worth the time/effort to learn about and plan for and, for others it's not, for a wide variety of reasons. Fear of looking extremely muscled/lean has never come up when I've talked to friends about this. It's just different goals, different ways of getting there.

But what do I know. I'm only referring to my own experiences talking with a specific subset of women, rather than generalizing across an entire sex.
  • 3bambi3
    edited February 2016
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

Cavemen Approves this post :)

Your reading skills apparently suck though..

No, my reading skills are fine. You made sweeping generalizations about all women who go to the gym that are demonstrably false.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

No, it means friendly...

PROVE ME WRONG

Oh, ahuh. And the media doesn't always talk about chest and biceps for men?
    1555699-980x.jpg

And to look fit for a man what's the key factor? Abs. Abs. Abs.

0000.jpg
    5b643a230561294b48be1514e40fedc3.jpg
    jamie-foxx-covers-mens-health-uk-october-2013.jpg
    square4-690x690.jpg

We're comparing apples to apples. Regardless, it doesn't matter. Do your own thing. You aren't better than anyone else and you don't deserve to be judge and jury. You aren't just so aesthetic, amazing, alpha, and intelligent that you can speak on behalf of all men and gymgoers.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

We can also spot you...

Well bless your big strong heart, thanks so much for helping us "girls" with the scary heavy things.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

No, it means friendly...

PROVE ME WRONG

My experience in talking to other women is that the majority do cardio and abs because that is what they know to do, not to look like women on the cover of Cosmo. It's easy to go to a gym and get on a stair stepper or treadmill without having to do much studying up beforehand. Lifting weights, again for most women I know, would be an entirely new activity that takes a bit more time and effort than "walk in, get going." For some of us, it's worth the time/effort to learn about and plan for and, for others it's not, for a wide variety of reasons. Fear of looking extremely muscled/lean has never come up when I've talked to friends about this. It's just different goals, different ways of getting there.

But what do I know. I'm only referring to my own experiences talking with a specific subset of women, rather than generalizing across an entire sex.

stop. You don't want to come across as a "feminist"
  • 3bambi3
    edited February 2016
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »

No, it means friendly...

PROVE ME WRONG

stop. You don't want to come across as a "feminist"

Truth. First it's social, economic, and political equality. Next thing you know, we'll be curling in the squat rack.