Why do so many ladies not lift?

Options

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    For me, anything I read in any teen/young adult magazine was to do aerobic type stuff and eat a salad. 20-odd years of having society beat that into my brain was hard to break from, but I finally did and I love to lift. That said, I don't care what anyone else does. You like to run? Great. You're a cyclist? Awesome. I'm worried about me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I hate it, and I don't want my arms to get more muscular (yeah yeah, women don't bulk, whatever, I've seen enough bulky women not to believe it - although granted, my notion of 'bulky' is probably not the same as everyone's).

I mean, I still do it, just not the progressive regimen that I see people do (mostly because I just haven't been able to increase my weights consistently), and 2x a week on a good week (plus I like cardio and my legs are tired all the time from it, which makes it hard to do leg exercises). But for what it's worth, I never see anyone lift heavy at my gym, as the trainers pretty much won't let you do it if they are not with you. But I see plenty of women use the machines.
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Why the stereotype here?

I'll be honest, i'm kind of getting tired of this generalization coupled with the fact that women *must* lift weights if they want to be "cool, fit, attractive" and so on. It's perpetuated on MyFitnessPal so much that it's borderline ridiculous.

I personally lift weights because it's something i ENJOY doing. Lifting weights isn't a requirement for all women, hell not even men. If someone can find an activity that they enjoy and can maintain for life, why s##t all over it because it's not the same as yours?

If some woman prefers to dance, to run, to swim, to play tennis, to do WHATEVER, why is she barred from the *cool kids club*? I'm just saying.

Let's not even get into the fact not not everyone wants to look like a bodybuilder or a fitness model.

I totally agree with you. The 'you'll never be fit enough if you don't lift' mentality on MFP is getting really old!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I think you misunderstand progressive resistance

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    moyer566 wrote: »
    Many women lift here

I don't lift, I don't want to. I lift myself and have no interest in weights
    23571433661_52be5de1c0_n.jpg

I am so jealous ! I have wanted to try this for so long, but I suffer from vertigo which I have been told is one of the very few reasons not to try aerial yoga :( I have a friend who teaches, and even she would not let me.

I don't think inversions would go very well. but not inversion, maybe. but your friend knows better than I as she knows you better
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I hate it, and I don't want my arms to get more muscular (yeah yeah, women don't bulk, whatever, I've seen enough bulky women not to believe it - although granted, my notion of 'bulky' is probably not the same as everyone's).

I mean, I still do it, just not the progressive regimen that I see people do (mostly because I just haven't been able to increase my weights consistently), and 2x a week on a good week (plus I like cardio and my legs are tired all the time from it, which makes it hard to do leg exercises). But for what it's worth, I never see anyone lift heavy at my gym, as the trainers pretty much won't let you do it if they are not with you. But I see plenty of women use the machines.
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Why the stereotype here?

I'll be honest, i'm kind of getting tired of this generalization coupled with the fact that women *must* lift weights if they want to be "cool, fit, attractive" and so on. It's perpetuated on MyFitnessPal so much that it's borderline ridiculous.

I personally lift weights because it's something i ENJOY doing. Lifting weights isn't a requirement for all women, hell not even men. If someone can find an activity that they enjoy and can maintain for life, why s##t all over it because it's not the same as yours?

If some woman prefers to dance, to run, to swim, to play tennis, to do WHATEVER, why is she barred from the *cool kids club*? I'm just saying.

Let's not even get into the fact not not everyone wants to look like a bodybuilder or a fitness model.

I totally agree with you. The 'you'll never be fit enough if you don't lift' mentality on MFP is getting really old!

The more you know...

It may be a good idea to start lifting heavy things now so you can open your own doors later.
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Obviously I can't speak for all women, but I can speak for me. I'm not under the delusion that it would make me bulky or anything, it's more the fact that I have no idea how to go about it, I feel like I'd end up injuring myself, I feel like I'd feel quite intimidated by other guys using the weights, and it really just doesn't appeal to me.

You learned how to ride a bike and tie your shoes. Why can't you learn how to lift with proper form? You think lifting is the only form of exercise that you can injure yourself in?
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Obviously I can't speak for all women, but I can speak for me. I'm not under the delusion that it would make me bulky or anything, it's more the fact that I have no idea how to go about it, I feel like I'd end up injuring myself, I feel like I'd feel quite intimidated by other guys using the weights, and it really just doesn't appeal to me.

You learned how to ride a bike and tie your shoes. Why can't you learn how to lift with proper form? You think lifting is the only form of exercise that you can injure yourself in?

Well that was unnecessary.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    It might seem scary but it actually very safe if you have good form and judgement ( use rack, safety bars, don't add a crazy amount of weight before you are ready, etc)
  • forwardmoving
    forwardmoving Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have zero fear of getting bulky and admire women who do lift and was quite inspired by many of the women here on MFP; wanted to love it but find it quite boring. Have tried at home , group class, individual trainer but just didn't like it.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    No "heavy" lifting here. But I do the machines 3x per week and increase my weights as my strength improves. By all accounts, my results are great, so I'll keep doing what I'm doing. It also complements my athletic training. I see lots of women in the free weights section. I think more and more women do want visible muscles and aren't afraid of getting "bulky." Most women don't have the genetics to get much visible muscle anyway.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    They are for the most part, intimidated by the iron. It's sad, because they waste so much time doing Cardio, which will never give them the fat loss and muscle tone of pumping iron. A real shame.....but heck, it leaves all the best equipment for the guys!!!! ;)
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I have zero fear of getting bulky and admire women who do lift and was quite inspired by many of the women here on MFP; wanted to love it but find it quite boring. Have tried at home , group class, individual trainer but just didn't like it.

I feel the same. And I still do some lifting, it's just not a major focus. But I've noticed a decent amount of condescension lately (not just on here, also in real life) from females who are into lifting and seem to suggest that what they're doing is better or that cardio is inferior. I'm not going to tear someone else up because they can't or don't want to run 5 miles so who cares if I think lifting is tediously boring?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »

I feel the same. And I still do some lifting, it's just not a major focus. But I've noticed a decent amount of condescension lately (not just on here, also in real life) from females who are into lifting and seem to suggest that what they're doing is better or that cardio is inferior. I'm not going to tear someone else up because they can't or don't want to run 5 miles so who cares if I think lifting is tediously boring?

Good thing this hasn't caught up here where I live. Some women lift, many don't, but I don't see this condescending attitude in real life. I guess it hasn't caught up yet as "the cool thing to do".

In my opinion this latest trend in attitude is a form of rebellion against the traditional concepts of exercise for genders, so a woman who lifts may be perceived as cool, empowered, nontraditional, strong...etc while a woman who doesn't may be seen as a slave for gender roles, weak, uncool...etc. Give it a few years and once the novelty wears off it will be all about about personal preference without value judgements based on personal choices.

I too find lifting to be extremely boring, so I don't do it (not to mention it's potentially dangerous for me because I'm not allowed to perform certain moves)
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    At the commercial gym I go to all newbies are given the tour & shown the basic machines that work each body part in 20 minutes. On top of this The women's only area of the gym is stocked with lots of cardio machines, a smith machine & the basic resistance machines, it's no wonder I see only a handful of women lifting heavy.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Most women and men around here at the gyms I've been to use the machines. They do usually use a progressive program, so I think it's great. It's about 50-50 in that nice, big room, and then there are other women who use the little women's room that ironically has more free weights (not enough)

For the actual co-ed barbell area to be more pleasing would take a lot. It is claustrophobic, stuck down a long, deserted hallway, and no trainers or anything are ever there, so you can never ask for direction. Very few men even use it, and the ones who did it at my time never worked out and were undeniably creepy (2 guy friends). They just watched me and sat around. That really is not pleasant when there's this whole rockin' unisex atmosphere over in the machine weights section, with good music and people watching TVs and not creepily deserted and dead quiet.

I have my own barbell at home now, so it's all cool (except for working around my chronic pain injuries :( ). I've weight lifted hypertrophy-style since 1986 in high school, lol! (Not with the proper bulk diet, as that's my hard part.) But that was back when Nautilus was still the rage and free weights weren't common at bigger gyms around here. I still love the machines, to tell the truth. Or heavy dumbbells. But you can't do some lifts I like with dumbbells, so a barbell is necessary for that.

I do think you can have great muscles with other athletic or dance endeavors and certainly with other programmes than the most commonly mentioned here. I think machines are fine for that, too. If you want to keep adding muscle with a sport or dance regime, I don't know how you do that, though. If something is hard to add resistance to, there is a wall you hit, imho. OTOH, not everyone is looking for more and more muscle and keeping what they have works perfectly for their needs. Nothing wrong with that!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    _SKIM_ wrote: »
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Reason #4378: some of the failure modes associated with lifting heavy seem pretty damn catastrophic

Haha, the first injury I had (recently) was from an elliptical! Whacked my hand warming up. Screwed up my wrist!

I think everyone should do what they love. What they can stick to. Lifting has less impact on my joints...helps them and therefore motivation is steady.

Understandable! I've had exercise injuries too, granted I kept spraining my ankle after the initial sprain totally outside exercise (unmarked step). I've also had rotator cuff injury and a hip thing. But some of the lifting injuries I hear about, I would be glad to know could be prevented by just being cautious: Back injuries, neck(?!) injuries, and someone on my FL once told a story about how he ran up to a lifter just in time to essentially prevent the guy from crushing his own neck

Then you have the stuff like scraping your knees and needing high socks, having to interact with people to share space and equipment - who is this person and why do I have to acknowledge their existence just to workout?? Aww damnit, I'm the problem here, aren't I? :bigsmile:
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    _SKIM_ wrote: »
    Reason #4378: some of the failure modes associated with lifting heavy seem pretty damn catastrophic

Haha, the first injury I had (recently) was from an elliptical! Whacked my hand warming up. Screwed up my wrist!

I think everyone should do what they love. What they can stick to. Lifting has less impact on my joints...helps them and therefore motivation is steady.

... having to interact with people to share space and equipment - who is this person and why do I have to acknowledge their existence just to workout?? Aww damnit, I'm the problem here, aren't I? :bigsmile:

No, lol! I hate waiting for equipment. Maybe that's a woman thing ;) I like some gym environments and not others, so waiting for certain folks can feel like being in line at the DMV. I do hate that, immensely.

I can see my TV from my weights set-up now. That works, and with only my dogs to bug me.

• codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the responses and perspective.
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those women who you would only see doing cardio at the gym. Because I do all my lifting at home. So just because you only see me doing cardio doesn't mean I'm not lifting.