Why do so many ladies not lift?

Options

Replies

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    I think I see about equal numbers of men and women on weights/cardio at my gym - I think that "women just do cardio" thing is pretty outdated and I don't think I know anyone who thinks that way.

I do a bit of strength stuff twice a week because I know it's good for me but I don't enjoy it at all, but I mostly run, and I've found that running has done just fine giving me the body I want, no need for lifting heavy. But I'm not sitting around judging the people who prefer to lift just because my goals are about lowering my half-marathon time instead of setting a new bench PR. Neither activity is "better" than the other IMO.

This is not true. Guys at my gym barely do any cardio and if they do, it's always sprints and high intensity stuff. It's predominately guys in the weight room. I honestly find treadmilling to be boring, but to each their own.

It's not true at your gym. That doesn't mean it's not true in other gyms. I see an equal number of women and men lifting and an equal number of men and women on the cardio equipment.

Why do you care what women do in the gym?
  • kkthnxbii
    kkthnxbii Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I lift occasionally, but I mainly workout because I enjoy it, and I just enjoy cardio more. I mainly lift to strengthen my legs, so that I am injured less when I run, and to strengthen my arms since swimming can't do that alone.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Many women lift here

I don't lift, I don't want to. I lift myself and have no interest in weights
    23571433661_52be5de1c0_n.jpg
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    I think I see about equal numbers of men and women on weights/cardio at my gym - I think that "women just do cardio" thing is pretty outdated and I don't think I know anyone who thinks that way.

I do a bit of strength stuff twice a week because I know it's good for me but I don't enjoy it at all, but I mostly run, and I've found that running has done just fine giving me the body I want, no need for lifting heavy. But I'm not sitting around judging the people who prefer to lift just because my goals are about lowering my half-marathon time instead of setting a new bench PR. Neither activity is "better" than the other IMO.

This is not true. Guys at my gym barely do any cardio and if they do, it's always sprints and high intensity stuff. It's predominately guys in the weight room. I honestly find treadmilling to be boring, but to each their own.

It's not true at your gym. That doesn't mean it's not true in other gyms. I see an equal number of women and men lifting and an equal number of men and women on the cardio equipment.

Why do you care what women do in the gym?

I'm just genuinely curious. Didn't mean to make this sound misogynistic.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    It seems like there are a lot of generalizations in this thread.

I'm sure there are some women who don't lift, or don't lift heavy, because of some misconceptions about how bulky they might get. But there are plenty of other reasons as well, just as there are plenty of women who do lift, and I don't entirely understand why anyone is concerned with what exercise people choose to do or not do.

I prefer cardio because I like how cardio makes me feel. I don't particularly enjoy cardio or running but I really don't enjoy lifting. I still do some of it, and I do a lot of body weight exercises like squats, lunges, push-ups, etc. so I think I get some strength related training. But I mostly do what makes me feel good and what I dread less. Doing an entire hour or however long workout just focused on lifting does not appeal to me even a little bit.
  • Swanson83
    Swanson83 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Why I don't lift is I am unsure of many things. What routine do I use? What weight should I start at? I don't want people to see me fail when I am lifting. **My goal for the next year is to incorporate lifting into my daily routine.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Honestly, my biggest fear is/was bad form. There are only a few things I do with free weights because I know how to do it, but the things I'm not sure about I tend to stay away from. I'm not afraid of getting bulky, I love my little muscles and want them a little bigger, so I use the machines and always make sure to add weight every week or two...or three.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Why the stereotype here?

I'll be honest, i'm kind of getting tired of this generalization coupled with the fact that women *must* lift weights if they want to be "cool, fit, attractive" and so on. It's perpetuated on MyFitnessPal so much that it's borderline ridiculous.

I personally lift weights because it's something i ENJOY doing. Lifting weights isn't a requirement for all women, hell not even men. If someone can find an activity that they enjoy and can maintain for life, why s##t all over it because it's not the same as yours?

If some woman prefers to dance, to run, to swim, to play tennis, to do WHATEVER, why is she barred from the *cool kids club*? I'm just saying.

Let's not even get into the fact not not everyone wants to look like a bodybuilder or a fitness model.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Um, I said "at MY gym"....so yes, it is true. I didn't say for everyone, just from what I see in my own gym and among people I know.
  • Last_mango_in_paradise
    Options
    Some women don't like to lift. It's just not something they're in to. I have a friend who basically just does cardio and P90X. She doesn't like the gym so she does what she can do -- and LIKES -- at home.

As for women who don't "lift heavy" . . . who cares what they choose to do? Sure there are some women out there who don't lift heavy because they're under the misconception that they'll "get huge" if they do. There are also those women out there who:
    • Might be doing something different. Sometimes I switch it up and go from heavy weight/low reps to light weight/high reps
    • They could be nursing an injury. I have a bum shoulder that acts up every now and then so when I do shoulder exercises -- and some chest exercises -- I have to go light or else I run the risk of re-injuring it
    • They could be a newbie. You can't expect someone who is just getting in to lifting to pick up 100 pounds and throw it around.

And in the long run, what does it matter what someone else is doing unless it directly effects you.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    The 100% unvarnished reason I didn't start lifting until I did? It never occurred to me. It's not like I considered it as an option (or not an option) and decided against it, it just never entered my mind. Once it did, I was like "Oh, I should try that," and I've been lifting since.
    Just a question for ladies who are lifting: Do you generally go to the gym alone? What about a spotter? Or is the weight generally not so high as to need a spotter?

I go alone. My gym has equipment with safety bars that prevent the bar from falling on you even if you drop it, so no spotters needed.

Edit: except for the overhead press. If I have a catastrophic failure on that one and don't get out of the way fast enough it's going to come down on my head. I try not to fail on the overhead press.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    I think it's a result of a lot of factors, with one general tendency: it's easier to not lift. Lifting is new, different, a more technical thing than walking/running on a treadmill or elliptical, and basically an "unknown" to many women.

This site reflects a cross-section of the world, right? Many people on here, as in real life, want to know the easiest way to do something quickly. We all--on some level--are geared towards finding the easiest way to do something (be it losing weight or some other thing) quickly. I think people approach weight loss in two main camps: 1) I want to lose weight, lose it fast, get it done; and 2) I want to make a life change into a healthy lifestyle that will be permanent. Sometimes you start in #1 and end up in #2.

Those in the second camp tend to explore various ways to accomplish that goal--and often, weight lifting is something that you find as you move through this experience. Then, you get into that "confirmation bias." You start to see weight-lifting all around you--you notice more magazines, or commercials, or the gym area you never pay attention to; and you ask questions on this forum on how to start. I can't even count how many discussion threads on here repeat the exact same questions: how do I get into weight lifting? How do I get flat abs? etc etc--when all you have to do is a search in this thread to find a zillion responses. But it's not noticed beforehand because your mind didn't have "lift weights" on its radar.

I'm rattling on, I'm not done with my morning coffee yet. But I think it's more mental than anything else, and all of the other factors (myth of looking bulky, fear of weight room, etc) all play into one's general tendency to not want to break open mental blinders and look for something new and different.

But this does not apply to lifting only. One could also ask: why aren't more people swimming, playing soccer, learning tae kwon do, doing yoga, skiing? The possibilities when it comes to exercise are endless.
    This forum is actually proof that lifting is one of the most popular beginner's routines. What is the usual beginner to beginner advice here? Lift.

I think there's a common issue on this site with confusing the "everyone should do some form of resistance exercise" part of the general recommendation to incorporate both cardio and resistance exercise with "everyone should lift".

Plus, there's always an unconscious bias that whatever you (general you) are doing and are happy with is the best and every one else ought to give it a try.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Just a question for ladies who are lifting: Do you generally go to the gym alone? What about a spotter? Or is the weight generally not so high as to need a spotter?

I go alone. I run three week cycles and often the weight isn't up to 85% of my max until the third week. I will ask for a spot on bench and some heavy dumbbell bench for sure. I'm usually fine with squats because of the safety bars
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,148 Member
    Options

I go to the gym alone and workout without a partner. The downside of this is that I am limited in the amount of weight that I can lift because I don't have a spotter. On the other hand, and due to my size, age, and join problems, a big increase in weight is not possible. The good thing is that I do my own routine without having to worry about somebody else. I am now taking a personal TRX class with a trainer, once a week. I like the results and I love the kick ash feeling that the routine provides; and I still lift the rest of the week, and take fitness classes, and do some cardio.
    And commenting in the OP: I like lifting weights, more than cardio but it's not for everybody, regardless of age or gender (my husband hates it and find it boring), and it's not the only way to get or stay in shape either. People has to do what works for them, and people needs to stop wondering why the rest of the population doesn't lift, what color are the DB that they use, how much they squat-or not- (OMG no squatting???), or cycle or swim or walk or run.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't have access to a gym or money for equipment. I don't know how to lift weights. I don't have hours to spend on a treadmill. Walking, dancing, doing exercise videos are easy and cheap. I don't have to spend time learning much or need special equipment.
    I don't care about my body composition much. I mostly exercise to burn calories and manage stress.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

I go alone. When I really think I'm going to fail and need a spotter, I ask someone at the gym to spot me...and they always do, willingly. Working SL 5X5s. 180 squat, 125 pound bench, 185 pound deadlift, 80 pound OHP and 115 pound rows.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

I go alone and don't need a spotter because of safety bars in the rack. I do lift heavy though. Doing SL and squatted 160 lbs and deadlifted 150 lbs today at 135 lbs body weight. Sometimes I ask for a spotter for bench but with 5x5 you aren't lifting your 1RM.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

And treadmill is the only form of cardio?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Why the stereotype here?

I'll be honest, i'm kind of getting tired of this generalization coupled with the fact that women *must* lift weights if they want to be "cool, fit, attractive" and so on. It's perpetuated on MyFitnessPal so much that it's borderline ridiculous.

I personally lift weights because it's something i ENJOY doing. Lifting weights isn't a requirement for all women, hell not even men. If someone can find an activity that they enjoy and can maintain for life, why s##t all over it because it's not the same as yours?

If some woman prefers to dance, to run, to swim, to play tennis, to do WHATEVER, why is she barred from the *cool kids club*? I'm just saying.

Let's not even get into the fact not not everyone wants to look like a bodybuilder or a fitness model.

Well said.