Why do so many ladies not lift?

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Am I making a generalization or is this a fact? When I go to my college gym, all I see is the females doing cardio. Do they not realize lifting (of course with diet) is what improves body composition? I see them doing the treadmill for hours on hours, while dudes lift heavy and push themselves with weight lifting. So is just how we are programmed/mankind?

What improves body composition is exercising. Preferably with some resistance aspect in the exercise routine.
    Most athletes and most amateur athletes who are consistent in their training, they look good. Not all of them lift. In fact, most of them do not. I have seen swimmers, runners, dancers, people into martial arts, all with great bodies, without really lifting. Not saying that there is something wrong with lifting, I go through lifting phases myself and I am a woman, but it is not the only way to look good. Unless your goal is to become a powerlifter, there is nothing special about lifting that makes it better than other exercise routines.
    It all comes down to personal preference for most of us who are exercising for fun or health: if you like what you are doing, awesome, and it will work for you, if not, find something else. For me, I go through phases of lifting for a couple of years, then do something else, then come back to lifting. Lifting for e.g. 20 years non-stop, it is not something I could do, I just find it boring after a while, same as I do with more indoor training routines. I set some goals, reach them, then look for something else.

As for why men lift, to be honest, I think most of them do not. Even many of the ones in the weight room. They start with a weight that is naturally comfortable for them, which would be higher than for the average beginner woman usually, but they are not really challenging themselves. True, most men who are into fitness have lifted at some point, but I know more men who are consistently running or cycling or playing soccer for decades, than men who
    are every week in the weight room for years in a row without breaks.

+1

I tried it, didn't enjoy it, moved on to something else, and that's alright.

Some women don't want to get "bulky". Now before anyone starts making jokes, for some even the slightest increase in size or definition is considered "bulky", even if it doesn't look so to me or to you. It's okay to have a personal preference.

For some women, burning calories is the main goal so they prioritize the activities that burn more calories. It's okay to have priorities and to schedule exercise time according to personal goals.

Some women just don't know how to start or are intimidated by the process, and would start lifting given the right opportunity. Most of the marketing and literature is geared towards men, so men usually find more confidence when starting a lifting program, just like women find more confidence starting a yoga program.

Some still hold older ideas and beliefs that there there are exercises for men and others for women. These are becoming fewer every day, but it's still a valid reason not to lift.

Some simply don't enjoy it or are turned off by the atmosphere.

Whatever the reasons are, lifting is not the only exercise that gives great results.

I find these questions peculiar. Not everyone is a lifter, be it a man or a woman. Just like not everyone is a runner/dancer/cycler/swimmer/martial artist/yogi....etc and that's alright. It's okay to make different choices, have different goals, or have aversion to some types of exercise for whatever reason.

Sometimes I feel like if a person doesn't lift in the gym their work is considered inferior or of lower quality by some of those who lift. I'm not sure why. I haven't encountered these vibes from people who enjoy different kinds of sports or exercise.
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I don't enjoy it. I don't like the gym very much, and it's an exercise that really has to be done in the gym unless you want to spend lots of money and use lots of space at home. I do enjoy a long run or a lovely slinky yoga class - neither of which are stinky and claustrophobic like the gym is
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I don't enjoy it. I don't like the gym very much, and it's an exercise that really has to be done in the gym unless you want to spend lots of money and use lots of space at home. I do enjoy a long run or a lovely slinky yoga class - neither of which are stinky and claustrophobic like the gym is

I have a home weightlifting bench and weights, dumbells, curl bar, bought second hand for very little. Everything is on one side of my office, which does not look as open and spacious as it used to, but the benefits outweigh the decorating setback.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of reasons for not lifting. First would be that I don't actually have access to a gym and even if I did I've never been in one and wouldn't have the first clue where to start. It's intimidating, and I've got social anxiety anyway. The second would be that I genuinely don't think I'd enjoy it. I enjoy swimming and I don't mind running sometimes, and I walk plenty. That's enough for me.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

I have a home weightlifting bench and weights, dumbells, curl bar, bought second hand for very little. Everything is on one side of my office, which does not look as open and spacious as it used to, but the benefits outweigh the decorating setback.

But "benefits" depend on preference. Someone else, with the space and money to put into a home gym, might find that a treadmill or stationary bike or an exercise ball or a TRX are more fun.
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I know that it wasn't something that I ever considered. The common myth is that if you want to lose weight you do lots and lots of cardio.

I don't go to the gym and lift even now because we're very rural, but I do a lot of body weight based excercises. Started at the beginning of November. Loving it so far.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Am I making a generalization or is this a fact? When I go to my college gym, all I see is the females doing cardio. Do they not realize lifting (of course with diet) is what improves body composition? I see them doing the treadmill for hours on hours, while dudes lift heavy and push themselves with weight lifting. So is just how we are programmed/mankind?

What improves body composition is exercising. Preferably with some resistance aspect in the exercise routine.
    Most athletes and most amateur athletes who are consistent in their training, they look good. Not all of them lift. In fact, most of them do not. I have seen swimmers, runners, dancers, people into martial arts, all with great bodies, without really lifting. Not saying that there is something wrong with lifting, I go through lifting phases myself and I am a woman, but it is not the only way to look good. Unless your goal is to become a powerlifter, there is nothing special about lifting that makes it better than other exercise routines.
    It all comes down to personal preference for most of us who are exercising for fun or health: if you like what you are doing, awesome, and it will work for you, if not, find something else. For me, I go through phases of lifting for a couple of years, then do something else, then come back to lifting. Lifting for e.g. 20 years non-stop, it is not something I could do, I just find it boring after a while, same as I do with more indoor training routines. I set some goals, reach them, then look for something else.

As for why men lift, to be honest, I think most of them do not. Even many of the ones in the weight room. They start with a weight that is naturally comfortable for them, which would be higher than for the average beginner woman usually, but they are not really challenging themselves. True, most men who are into fitness have lifted at some point, but I know more men who are consistently running or cycling or playing soccer for decades, than men who
    are every week in the weight room for years in a row without breaks.

+1

I tried it, didn't enjoy it, moved on to something else, and that's alright.

Some women don't want to get "bulky". Now before anyone starts making jokes, for some even the slightest increase in size or definition is considered "bulky", even if it doesn't look so to me or to you. It's okay to have a personal preference.

For some women, burning calories is the main goal so they prioritize the activities that burn more calories. It's okay to have priorities and to schedule exercise time according to personal goals.

Some women just don't know how to start or are intimidated by the process, and would start lifting given the right opportunity. Most of the marketing and literature is geared towards men, so men usually find more confidence when starting a lifting program, just like women find more confidence starting a yoga program.

Some still hold older ideas and beliefs that there there are exercises for men and others for women. These are becoming fewer every day, but it's still a valid reason not to lift.

Some simply don't enjoy it or are turned off by the atmosphere.

Whatever the reasons are, lifting is not the only exercise that gives great results.

I find these questions peculiar. Not everyone is a lifter, be it a man or a woman. Just like not everyone is a runner/dancer/cycler/swimmer/martial artist/yogi....etc and that's alright. It's okay to make different choices, have different goals, or have aversion to some types of exercise for whatever reason.

Sometimes I feel like if a person doesn't lift in the gym their work is considered inferior or of lower quality by some of those who lift. I'm not sure why. I haven't encountered these vibes from people who enjoy different kinds of sports or exercise.

These are all good points.

My husband does not enjoy lifting weights at all. He's done it in the past (for sports) and is doing it a bit now (for general fitness) but, overall, he just loathes the activity. And the thing is, he is pretty strong just on his own without lifting and TBH I'd love to see what he could lift if he trained but it's just not his thing so I don't push it. To him, it's boring and he doesn't want to do it, much like I think basketball is boring and would never want to play it.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I think it's a result of a lot of factors, with one general tendency: it's easier to not lift. Lifting is new, different, a more technical thing than walking/running on a treadmill or elliptical, and basically an "unknown" to many women.

This site reflects a cross-section of the world, right? Many people on here, as in real life, want to know the easiest way to do something quickly. We all--on some level--are geared towards finding the easiest way to do something (be it losing weight or some other thing) quickly. I think people approach weight loss in two main camps: 1) I want to lose weight, lose it fast, get it done; and 2) I want to make a life change into a healthy lifestyle that will be permanent. Sometimes you start in #1 and end up in #2.

Those in the second camp tend to explore various ways to accomplish that goal--and often, weight lifting is something that you find as you move through this experience. Then, you get into that "confirmation bias." You start to see weight-lifting all around you--you notice more magazines, or commercials, or the gym area you never pay attention to; and you ask questions on this forum on how to start. I can't even count how many discussion threads on here repeat the exact same questions: how do I get into weight lifting? How do I get flat abs? etc etc--when all you have to do is a search in this thread to find a zillion responses. But it's not noticed beforehand because your mind didn't have "lift weights" on its radar.

I'm rattling on, I'm not done with my morning coffee yet. But I think it's more mental than anything else, and all of the other factors (myth of looking bulky, fear of weight room, etc) all play into one's general tendency to not want to break open mental blinders and look for something new and different.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    The cardio I do requires no training. I learned to walk when I was a baby. Beyond buying good shoes and cheap leggings, I don't need to spend money.

Lifting weights is going to require me finding someone to teach me how to do it, or finding a program with a book and videos to teach me. I will need to invest in equipment or commit to a gym. Reluctant to invest in something when it could be a waste of money because I won't do it or won't go to the gym. My treadmill sat for years collecting dust. Getting my money's worth now though.

Exertion is an issue too. Sweating is not my favorite. In fact, I despise it. I'm afraid of hurting myself. Seems like it would be easy to hurt myself lifting weights. I don't have any chest muscles because of surgery. I'm not sure how that will effect things. My arms do compensate but my strength is definitely weaker without those muscles.

I can see my muscles in my arms and legs now because there is less fat around them. I'd love to be able to develop them more. I want Michelle Obama arms. Lifting is the only thing that will do that. I am opening my mind to it. Once I'm not eating at such a high deficit, I'm going to consider it more.

I have zero fear of becoming bulky. I think that's impossible unless I used drugs along with lifting.
    a) effort - they would rather hand that off to the men in their lives
    Really??
  • jemhh
    Options
    Inkratlet wrote: »
    I honestly think from observing some of my friends, that a lot of ladies don't lift because of

a) effort - they would rather hand that off to the men in their lives
    b) they are afraid of turning into a red-faced deadlifting monster - that's not even so much about 'bulk' but about the "RAAAHHHHHH" side to what is traditionally masculine.

Women who lift consistently will eventually wake up to the fact that there is more to life than how attractive you are to the opposite sex (or whichever sex is your preference), stop giving a crap about what they look like and start to take on more traditional 'male' roles in everything (my opinion on that is a separate issue) - from earning big money, speaking up at work, demanding equal pay/rights, to carrying heavy items in from the car unaided, holding doors open for other people and so on. Men still tease each other about having wives who "wear the trousers", they are still under pressure to opt for sweet little women (which no one could ever describe me as :# ) and I KNOW that by choosing to be a red-faced deadlifting monster I am reducing the number of fish in the sea who can look me in the eye without wetting themselves ;) I don't really care. But that is a mental state I have fought long and hard for and I don't think some women want to go down that road.

What are you going on about?

a) effort? What do you mean by this? Are you saying that women don't lift because they'd rather their men do exercise with more effort or because they don't want to do the heavy stuff around the house?

I'm not even getting into the big paragraph.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I think it's a result of a lot of factors, with one general tendency: it's easier to not lift. Lifting is new, different, a more technical thing than walking/running on a treadmill or elliptical, and basically an "unknown" to many women.

This site reflects a cross-section of the world, right? Many people on here, as in real life, want to know the easiest way to do something quickly. We all--on some level--are geared towards finding the easiest way to do something (be it losing weight or some other thing) quickly. I think people approach weight loss in two main camps: 1) I want to lose weight, lose it fast, get it done; and 2) I want to make a life change into a healthy lifestyle that will be permanent. Sometimes you start in #1 and end up in #2.

Those in the second camp tend to explore various ways to accomplish that goal--and often, weight lifting is something that you find as you move through this experience. Then, you get into that "confirmation bias." You start to see weight-lifting all around you--you notice more magazines, or commercials, or the gym area you never pay attention to; and you ask questions on this forum on how to start. I can't even count how many discussion threads on here repeat the exact same questions: how do I get into weight lifting? How do I get flat abs? etc etc--when all you have to do is a search in this thread to find a zillion responses. But it's not noticed beforehand because your mind didn't have "lift weights" on its radar.

I'm rattling on, I'm not done with my morning coffee yet. But I think it's more mental than anything else, and all of the other factors (myth of looking bulky, fear of weight room, etc) all play into one's general tendency to not want to break open mental blinders and look for something new and different.

But this does not apply to lifting only. One could also ask: why aren't more people swimming, playing soccer, learning tae kwon do, doing yoga, skiing? The possibilities when it comes to exercise are endless.
    This forum is actually proof that lifting is one of the most popular beginner's routines. What is the usual beginner to beginner advice here? Lift.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    As a woman who recently decided she wants to lift, I have to say it isn't easy to get started.
    joinn68 wrote: »
    I have been to gyms and told the trainers I wanted to lift heavy but they always show me low weight high rep exercises. Even when I insist I get nowhere.

The other thing is finding "programs" that work. It is all so complex. I can pop in any exercise video and lift my cute purple dumbbells fine. But anything (heavy) weight lifting seems to come as a "program" with exercise descriptions that require deciphering, and that can be daunting. My current gym also doesn't have barbells so all the recommendations about SL and 5x5s don't do much for me. (I just discovered darebee with clear descriptions, pictures and no barbells!)
    This is also my experience. There's only one gym in the area, and when I went there for a trial session and told the trainer my goals were to "build muscle" and "get stronger", after a 20min-warmup on the elliptical he first stuck me in "body sculpting" class (lots of walking, some lunges, crunches, jumping jacks). When I insisted that that was not what I wanted to do, I wanted to train with weights, he lead me into the "ladies area", where I was supposed to use 5 machines and do 5 sets of 25 reps each. After I pointed out that I would be more interested in free weights, he told me I needed to do 12 weeks of the "lady strength circle" as preparation, and if I still was unhappy with that training plan after that, we could look into changing it.
    [as I side note: I've seen the same trainer doing intro sessions with new members a few times since, and the women always end up in the cardio/class area, while he shows the men around the weights floor...]

I gave up on getting advice from the trainer and went looking online for training plans and was faced with the same problem as joinn68: no barbells in my gym, nearly all programme recommendations like NROL, SL, 5x5 require barebells. After quite a bit of research and some money wasted on two books which weren't as useful to me as I had hoped, I finally managed to conjure up a dumbbell routine to get me started...
    I'm not lifting YET... apart from time, my main reason is I just don't know where to start. I don't know anything about form, I don't want to hurt myself, I don't want to be the noob watching videos on their phone then trying the move... I'm just a bit chicken about it all, really.
    ... and now this is exactly who I am, that noob who watches the videos on her phone in the breaks between the exercises (after watching even more videos beforehand at home).

Starting to run was much easier. I only bought a pair of shoes, printed one of the many plans like C25K, and could begin training right away. No need to join a gym, research which exercise targets what muscle, no lurking around near the dumbbell rack waiting for other people to finish with the weights I want to use, ...

That being said, I'm still determined to get into lifting, and am heading to the gym three times per week since I joined. But I can totally understand everyone who is put off by all the complications and decides to do cardio only instead.
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Just a question for ladies who are lifting: Do you generally go to the gym alone? What about a spotter? Or is the weight generally not so high as to need a spotter?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Haha I can attest to the goodness of coffee

Loved reading the post. Only question though is, quickest? The OP was literally asking why women spend hours on cardio machines. The time I spend, total, on my exercise, is tremendous, but I do have it available and what I do is what makes me happy. Perhaps lifting might involve a lot of up front investment, time wise, but a good selling point I hear is you can be in and out fast
  • pichu318
    pichu318 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I would love to learn to lift heavy, but honestly I'm a little scared. I hate the thought of asking someone how I am supposed to lift properly and I don't like the thought of people watching me attempt it or coming up to talk to me. I have anxiety which doesn't help anything. The last time I went toward the weights section I had a panic attack.....which was great.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I think I see about equal numbers of men and women on weights/cardio at my gym - I think that "women just do cardio" thing is pretty outdated and I don't think I know anyone who thinks that way.

I do a bit of strength stuff twice a week because I know it's good for me but I don't enjoy it at all, but I mostly run, and I've found that running has done just fine giving me the body I want, no need for lifting heavy. But I'm not sitting around judging the people who prefer to lift just because my goals are about lowering my half-marathon time instead of setting a new bench PR. Neither activity is "better" than the other IMO.
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    I think I see about equal numbers of men and women on weights/cardio at my gym - I think that "women just do cardio" thing is pretty outdated and I don't think I know anyone who thinks that way.

I do a bit of strength stuff twice a week because I know it's good for me but I don't enjoy it at all, but I mostly run, and I've found that running has done just fine giving me the body I want, no need for lifting heavy. But I'm not sitting around judging the people who prefer to lift just because my goals are about lowering my half-marathon time instead of setting a new bench PR. Neither activity is "better" than the other IMO.

This is not true. Guys at my gym barely do any cardio and if they do, it's always sprints and high intensity stuff. It's predominately guys in the weight room. I honestly find treadmilling to be boring, but to each their own.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    A lot of women lift where I live. Not 50/50, but still alot.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    In my gym, it seems women mostly do classes and the dedicated ladies machine circle.
    I've been in the area with the "real" machines, cable pulleys and dumbbells ~10 times this month. Twice a saw another girl, otherwise it's just me together with 5-8 men (depending on time of the day). And yeah, that occasionally makes me feel a bit out of place, but so what?
    Though one of the men seems to spend the entire time he's there on a funny "abs" machine - he was one that thing for at least an hour yesterday; and I've also seen men watching videos while slowly cycling for loooong times; so it's not all "women do cardio, men lift weights" here.
  • jemhh
    Options
    Just a question for ladies who are lifting: Do you generally go to the gym alone? What about a spotter? Or is the weight generally not so high as to need a spotter?

I lift at home alone, no spotter. I have squat stands, not a rack, and use a pair of sawhorses as my safeties. I've failed lifts two times and both times I pretty much knew it was going to happen but tried them anyway. If I didn't have the safeties I wouldn't have even attempted them. In my experience, it is pretty easy to know when I'm not going to make it before I even start a rep.
    peleroja wrote: »

This is not true. Guys at my gym barely do any cardio and if they do, it's always sprints and high intensity stuff. It's predominately guys in the weight room. I honestly find treadmilling to be boring, but to each their own.

The gym I belong to has two weight rooms. One has barbells/racks and dumbbells that increase in 5 pound increments. The other has dumbbells that increase in 2.5 pound increments but go just as high in weight as the dumbbells in the other room. I see more women in the room with the 2.5 lb increment dumbbells, likely because it is easier to progress using those increments than the larger increments. I've never tried to do any barbell lifting there. There's generally a backup of people waiting to use that equipment and since I have my own at home, it doesn't make sense for me to stand around waiting for it. I really just like to go there for a change of scenery and to use the dumbbells. I have handles/plates at home but sometimes it is annoying to have to switch them out all the time. It's nice to walk up to a rack and just pick up whatever I want.