Why do so many ladies not lift?

Options

Replies

• Terri2874
    Terri2874 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I LOVE weight training....I always do cardio as well but dont enjoy it nearly as much as lifting. Sometimes I have to slow myself down lol
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Terri2874 wrote: »
    I LOVE weight training....I always do cardio as well but dont enjoy it nearly as much as lifting. Sometimes I have to slow myself down lol

Glad you're enjoying it!!
  • myssjaxson
    myssjaxson Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I know more than nothing about the process of gaining muscle and training and anything to do with anything (I'm just being honest, I'm such a newbie it hurts) but I think it's that:
    1. Women don't want to get muscly/bulky and etc.
    2. They don't find any need/want to lift. Most women want a flat stomach and a nice booty, and most assume that lifting heavy weights isn't going to give them that tight belly and butt so they skip the dumbells and such and start on their crunches. Not many people get educated in fitness, they do what they've heard/think will work. Also could be that they simply don't find a need to work their arms and so on (again, lack of knowledge in a lot of people).
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I think it is often because of misinformation:
    afraid of bulk (this is still in the media)
    or just not knowing it's good for you
    or just not knowing how to start

I was lucky. I joined a pretty good gym in 1996 to work out with a friend who was a serious lifter. I hired a trainer right off the bat, and worked out with my friend. I was able to learn a ton and move forward from there.

I do see more women lifting "for reals" than I did in 1996.

But even now, with the media, it's a challenge. I clicked on a tab about the importance of strength training for women and was immediately bombarded with pictures of women in tights with 3Lb weights.

Lifting heavy is about lifting heavy for YOU. Maybe those 3lb weights are really heavy for them...?
    :neutral:
  • CurvesCreations22
    CurvesCreations22 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    I started lifting heavy none of this 8 lb stuff 8 weeks ago. I hAve dropped 6.8% in body fat and 11lbs. I eat 6 meals a day all With protein and lift mon wed Friday Tuesday Thursday Saturday cardio spinning or running

Running on the treadmill and spinning on the bike doesn't do the trick. Sorry. Try it you might like it. Squats, deadlifts, thrusts, over head press and more!
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    shrcpr wrote: »
    I'm one of those women who you would only see doing cardio at the gym. Because I do all my lifting at home. So just because you only see me doing cardio doesn't mean I'm not lifting.

This! Some of us do both just in different places.
  • ise311
    ise311 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Here gyms in Asia, lifting area are dominated by guys. You're lucky to even see any girl around there. And being Asians are more conservative and shy, it's hard to go to area fully dominated by male without getting stares at you. Very very awkward.

So this is my difficulty.
  • codsterlaing95
    Options
    ise311 wrote: »
    Here gyms in Asia, lifting area are dominated by guys. You're lucky to even see any girl around there. And being Asians are more conservative and shy, it's hard to go to area fully dominated by male without getting stares at you. Very very awkward.

Ya, it's too bad that this is the way the gym is. I guess you just have to not care what others think and do your own thing.
  • codsterlaing95
    Options
    Bump
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Because not everyone likes to lift? And like someone else said perhaps they're doing their lifting elsewhere. Just because you don't see someone doing it doesn't mean they're not.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for anyone else but I don't lift weights because I don't enjoy it and I can work my muscles in other ways.
  • ise311
    ise311 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    ise311 wrote: »

Ya, it's too bad that this is the way the gym is. I guess you just have to not care what others think and do your own thing.

Just yesterday I was with a trainer at the free-weight area (for the 1st time), I'm getting all the stares from guys, as if I'm disturbing their holy area. Like I mentioned, very awkward.

I dont think I'll be there again without somebody accompanying me.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    As a female who knows other females, I do know quite a few who do lift, and lift heavy. They really enjoy it and lord knows I'd want them on my side in a bar fight...more than a lot of guys I know. I HAVE lifted and lifted fairly heavy for the amount of time I did it. There were definitely aspects I liked about it- the changes in my body, the feeling of accomplishment when I would move things around pretty easily that weighed more than me, that kind of stuff. But I HATE being in a gym, and when the days got longer and the weather turned pleasant, the last thing I wanted was to spend my time inside in a sweaty gym.

For me, the fact is, you are just as unlikely to catch me pounding out miles on a treadmill as you are to catch me doing dead lifts and clean and jerks. I'm not a fan of exercising for the sake of exercising, though I lead a pretty damn active life. I much rather go for a long walk, ride a bike, dance with friends, that sort of thing, than spend endless hours going nowhere on a piece of machinery or lifting heavy pieces of metal. If it works for you, then groovy, but I just get antsy and like to see the scenery change.

I do understand the benefits of strength training, and try to add some in at home a few days a week, but it can be a test of wills to get it done, particularly if the time I have to do is also time I could be outside walking my dog. And, despite having my beloved bike on the trainer (I hate riding in the cold), I'm 10 times more likely to go freeze my butt off on a cold walk than pedal nowhere in the comfort of my living room.

Different strokes for different folks, but women do lift and enjoy it.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I think it is intimidating for a lot of girls. I am often the only girl in the free weights section. I started lifting several years ago and it seems this is starting to shift, but I can't find a female lifting partner for the life of me. Especially not one that isn't tied to 15-20 reps of everything.
  • lizwrites1313
    lizwrites1313 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I lift but am very small and can't lift much yet. I continue regardless but do get snickers and smirks from men using weights 10 times the weight of mine. It is off putting but I just think "P*** off! Did you rock up one day and start with the heavy ones?"

Not gonna hurt myself to impress strangers.
  • AbigailC17
    AbigailC17 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Before, my problem was my family telling me that I will look bulky and manly. I got this impression that I will turn into a she-hulk---> Extreme bodybuilder females. Years later I decided to educate myself and it turns out they were using enhancing drugs that's why they do not look like females anymore. Now, weight training transformed my physique and will never look back
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I think the gender split is fairly even in my gym to be honest. Maybe because the average age of the members seems to be about 35-50, so quite possibly women aren't as intimidated by the idea of weightlifting as teenage girls might be. It's quite a little gym with a small pool, and there's quite a welcoming and supportive atmosphere so that might encourage it.

Lifting is definitely 'fashionable' right now with the 20 somethings I know, of both sexes.
  • twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for anyone else but I don't lift weights because I don't enjoy it and I can work my muscles in other ways.

This was going to be my answer as well. "I don't want too" is a valid excuse. B)
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I only go to the gym to swim and sometimes use the expensive fancy treadmill.
    My weight set is in my family room, along with my resistance bands, hula hoops and fitness balls. You won't see me lift at the gym for two reasons: I hate the gym with a passion that is above and beyond passionate (I was once married to a competition body builder- I may have some residual issues there.) and I like to watch my tv shows while I work out. :) (I call it my "Criminal Minds/CSI Workout"... Every time I see blood spatter, I have to do an extra rep. ;) )
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

This was going to be my answer as well. "I don't want too" is a valid excuse. B)

Very valid.