Struggling to keep the 1200 calorie goal commitment.

Options
I would really, really like to lose this weight once and for all, but I find myself struggling to take control of my food intake. I'm so easily influenced by what others are eating or what's readily available. I am failing to plan. I have a highly involved job and a tendency to need to decompress and be less responsible when I'm off. I also struggle when I go out to eat, I have a tendency to follow my craving rather than what I know has the least calories and is good for me. It's like I go into deprivation mode. Any advice?

Replies

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    At 64 pounds to go, is 1200 too aggressive for you? What's your TDEE?
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Try eating at a smaller deficit. (Read, eat more calories.)
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Try a smaller deficit because at some point you might have to go down to 1200 and there is no point of starting off that way. I am 1200 a day with losing less than a lb a week. I am short and have a disability so it makes sense for me. How I stick with it is I just have that kind of personality. Once I decide to do something really do something I just do it. It sucks sometimes but, I can eat all the stuff I ate before just a lot smaller and not all in the same day. I prelog and that helps keep me on track.
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    To me, your key words are "I am failing to plan." Thus you are subject to your whims and desires and temptations. If I am going out, I look at an online menu and nutrition information to decide ahead of time what my best options are, then I stick to it. If I am cooking at home or shopping, I have an idea of my meal plan so I can stay within my calorie goal. I keep lower cal snacks and fruit on hand when I need something quick. I know that there are certain restaurants I should just avoid (for now) so I am not tempted beyond my capacity to resist. If I do have a higher calorie day, I plan to have a salad-and-veggie menu the next day. I don't prelog or plan everything to the smallest detail, but I do have a basic plan in my head that I follow.
  • youdontknowwhatyousaw
    Options
    1200 is really low. Eat more.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    You can plan ahead for those meals that you eat out. And even though you may need to decompress during your off hours, you can do it in a way that still keeps your calories in check.

Are you weighing and logging all of your food? If not, then that's a good place to start. Actually seeing the amount of calories in the foods/drinks you consume can change how you feel about following your cravings. :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Change your goal to one pound a week.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Is going out to eat a necessity for your lifestyle? I only ask because it kills me every time... the calories in many sit-down restaurant meals are unbelievable, and I tend to want what I want on the rare occasions when I go out rather than pick what I know is healthiest. When I eat at home I do much better. I'm on 1200 calories myself and it was difficult for the first month or so but after that I got used to it. Planning ahead, in any case, is key.
  • Obrytbar
    Obrytbar Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    1200 might be too restrictive, especially if you're doing exercise regularly (which you should be for MANY reasons!). Perhaps try starting out at 1400 and see how you feel. Taking snacks with you to work can help a lot to curve cravings and make you think more actively about the food choices you're making. Of course the temptation will always be there, let your friends and those around you know that you've made the decision to lead a healthier lifestyle and you would love to have their help and support in that. Its also very much down too getting creative with your meals. Choosing cous cous or quinoa over potatoes for example, pile on those veggies as well. There's many websites with awesome meals that are healthy, balanced and will keep you fuller longer, reducing the need to snack or give into temptation :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    You really don't have to drop your intake that low, it makes things harder than they really need to be. Sure, in theory, you'll lose weight faster, but not if you can't stick with the plan, no? Consider upping your calorie intake to 1500 or so, you'll still lose and you might have a surprisingly easier time sticking to the plan.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I would really, really like to lose this weight once and for all, but I find myself struggling to take control of my food intake. I'm so easily influenced by what others are eating or what's readily available. I am failing to plan. I have a highly involved job and a tendency to need to decompress and be less responsible when I'm off. I also struggle when I go out to eat, I have a tendency to follow my craving rather than what I know has the least calories and is good for me. It's like I go into deprivation mode. Any advice?

You listed a lot of obstacles to sticking with a plan. What are your strengths? Focus and build on them. Other than that, be sure to adjust your calorie level to the correct level of activity. As somebody else said, bump up the calories to 1400-1500 and stick to it for at least a month. You can always adjust back down if you aren't losing, which will be a bit easier to do after a month of practicing better choices.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options

I know about stress eating. These days I exercise instead :)

When I go out to eat, I eat half my entree and take the rest home. That way I get the food I want, but for half the calories at that meal. I don't go out very often.
  • BeaUtiful_1413
    BeaUtiful_1413 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have a 1240 calorie goal each day! It does get hard sometimes especially if a family member is eating a big juicy steak or hamburger right next to you! But you can still have those things if you want just not as much as they are eating! I even have started drinking more water with fruit and lemon for flavor, green tea w/ honey and lots of fruit and veggies when I get a bad craving like wanting something really fatty or sweets! I try to fill myself up on low calorie stuff like that so that way I'm not hungry anymore and I'm still eating healthy! Buuuut if I'm really wanting that juicy steak i won't keep from it! I'll have some still just not as much and I log it! I log EVERYTHING!!!
  • stadler5clio
    stadler5clio Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. I've done that too, have a cup of hot tea while everyone is having their yummy indulgence, it can be quite calming and centering. I've also eaten celery to stave my appetite or a few carrots. When ppl are eating chips at the restaurant or bread, I order a salad. Thanks for getting my juices flowing here. I've got a few more tools in the box now!
  • stadler5clio
    Options
    Good idea, taking half home. I should just ask for a to go container right away. Or I could even bring a Tupperware. What the heck!
  • stadler5clio
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

I'm actually feeling good about the amount I eat, relative to exercising and other aspects. I'm just not getting an average of 1200, more like 1650. I've only been at it for 16 days though. I think I need to give a little more thought to my restaurant strategies, because I travel a lot for work and not always to chains, fairly rural, so mom/pop outfits. I'm also needing some home strategies, with two active kids that eat whatever they want, there's always lots of opportunities to eat junk food. This morning I weighed 5 lb less than I did 16 days ago, so something is working!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    1200 calories is hard for anyone, but if you're struggling chances are it won't work....I suggest increasing your daily calories to something that is more doable long-term, as you still have 60+ lbs to go...As for all the obstacles you face, you'll need to find a way to get around them to succeed. To avoid stress eating, keep some healthy quickie snacks handy...I keep things like grapes, almonds, cheese sticks, apples and pb...etc...as for eating out, that's a tough one. I found it best to STOP eating out as much as possible....If you can avoid it, do...at least until you get ahold of your cravings. When I eat out, I usually tend to eat at least 700 cals more that day, SO not worth it!!! So...plan ahead as often as you can....avoid the cafeterias and restaurants for as long as you can....You can do this if you plan, and stick to it. Have faith, stay consistent and give it time. oo..almost forgot! I find it much easier to stay in a caloric deficit on days I exercise, so dont forget to move as much as possible, then you won't have to worry so much about staying under 1200!! xo
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Burn more calories so that you have some room to eat more. This is true whether you are shooting for 1200 kCal a day or 2000.

Reading these forums, I gather that a lot of people find success in walking more rather than "exercise" per se. The cornucopia of watches for sale that count steps is not just a coincidence.

At least for me, I find it *much* easier to stay within calorie goals at home. My meals are lean, candy and sweets are not brought by others, and my bicycle is nearby. Restaurant eating is a real challenge due to the large portions, high caloric density foods and temptations. You will have to find your own way -- mine is to bring food from home and stay away as much as possible.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

I'm actually feeling good about the amount I eat, relative to exercising and other aspects. I'm just not getting an average of 1200, more like 1650. I've only been at it for 16 days though. I think I need to give a little more thought to my restaurant strategies, because I travel a lot for work and not always to chains, fairly rural, so mom/pop outfits. I'm also needing some home strategies, with two active kids that eat whatever they want, there's always lots of opportunities to eat junk food. This morning I weighed 5 lb less than I did 16 days ago, so something is working!

What is your height? IMO 1650 is likely a far more appropriate goal than 1200. 1200 should be reserved for women who are very short, older, bedridden, and/or very close to goal.

As for strategies at home, my best suggestions are to practice declining food (it gets easier the more you do it) and allow yourself treats from time to time. I find it easiest to build them into my day. I like chocolate and am not super picky about what kind I get. So every day I have some, maybe in yogurt (protein powder mixed in) or a kashi bar or a few chocolate covered almonds. Just enough to make me happy.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 lbs at eating at about 1000 calorie deficit, but I have a difficult time staying there now. Without added exercise I will maintain at 1500, because I am older and shorter. Now that I am closer to goal but still obese, I need to eat at 1200 net to lose weight. Six days a week I created a deficit with the help of walking at a moderate to brisk pace to lose the next 20 lbs. I am in maintenance through the holidays now. The walking allowed me to have one treat a day. By a treat, I mean a food that was not an aid to reaching my protein or fiber goal. I pre-logged it and saved it for the end of the day as a reward for eating nutritious and within my calorie goal. I thought of eating like spending, instead of dollars my currency is calories. Meeting my nutrients was like paying the bills and the amount left over is for wants. If a holiday or celebratory party is coming up I saved up. Plan or budget and save your calories. Especially if you don't have time for a part time job of aerobic activity. Just like planning is the key to lowering your debt, it is key to lowering your body fat.