Can i eat CARBS

Options
Ok so im still eating about 500 calories under maintenance And I usually eat about 50g of carbs max but i just recently changed my diet to where in preping all my meals i eat Broccoli and Carrots in every meal and about two apples a day and eat 3 chicken beasts & berrys so a very healthy Diet but my carbs went up from the broccoli and apples and from what i heard is to lose fat i should eat below 50g of carbs it boosted it to 85g so do i take a apple or maybe some broccoli out or am i still going to lose fat eating very healthy 85g of carbs

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    As long as you're under your maintenance calories - you'll lose weight; regardless of the source of macronutrients.

I seem to recall from your other posts, though, that you were attempting a keto form of eating. 85g of carbs per day would most likely not put you into keto (for that matter, 50 probably wouldn't either).

You, of course, don't NEED to do keto, but if that was your intent, then this change probably isn't going to work.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Eating less calories is how you lose weight.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    First, your carbs went up mostly due to apples and berries. Carrots played a role, too. To blame apples and broccoli without giving berries any blame whatsoever shows you don't understand carbs as well as you think you do.

Second, you don't explain what you are doing regarding exercise. Are you lifting or are you doing cardio? Both? Neither? How much? You may find carbs useful right before exercising (or immediately afterwards if your exercise regime is going to cause gastrointestinal issues when eating before exercising) to replenish glycogen.

The TL;DR version: Get a better understanding of what foods contain carbs and then design your total nutrition and fitness plan to work together rather than as individual pieces.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    We'll I lost 55lbs eating over 250g carbs daily so it's personal choice
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    yes you can eat carbs, you also subtract your fiber from your carbs, so if you are eating something with 10 grams of carbs and 5 grams of fiber, than you only count 5 grams of carbs for that item. I have lost over 60 lbs and I eat more than 50 grams of carbs a day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of carbs...they aren't the devil or anything.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    yes you can eat carbs, you also subtract your fiber from your carbs, so if you are eating something with 10 grams of carbs and 5 grams of fiber, than you only count 5 grams of carbs for that item. I have lost over 60 lbs and I eat more than 50 grams of carbs a day.

What new hell is this?
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

What new hell is this?

It is the Atkins way to get the net carb total. Basically you deduct fiber and sugar alcohol because they minimally impact blood sugars.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    First, your carbs went up mostly due to apples and berries. Carrots played a role, too. To blame apples and broccoli without giving berries any blame whatsoever shows you don't understand carbs as well as you think you do.

Second, you don't explain what you are doing regarding exercise. Are you lifting or are you doing cardio? Both? Neither? How much? You may find carbs useful right before exercising (or immediately afterwards if your exercise regime is going to cause gastrointestinal issues when eating before exercising) to replenish glycogen.

The TL;DR version: Get a better understanding of what foods contain carbs and then design your total nutrition and fitness plan to work together rather than as individual pieces.

This is way too much info for someone who is still trying to figure out their own way of eating. No, you don't have to tackle calories, macros, and exercise all at once. Overwhelming lifestyle changes can easily lead to failure.

OP, yes, you can have carbs. This is your journey to wellness. You do you.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It's pretty hard to avoid them completely. I say embrace the carb.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Yes
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    mweckler wrote: »

What new hell is this?

It is the Atkins way to get the net carb total. Basically you deduct fiber and sugar alcohol because they minimally impact blood sugars.

Ok then

Thanks

*whistles nonchalantly and walks away from the cray-cray*

(Yes that was a joke for those who are about to jump on me ...everybody can choose their own WOE)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

What new hell is this?

As a type 1 diabetic who doses insulin based on net carbs, I also deduct fiber (and 50% of sugar alcohols) from carb counts used for meal boluses. Since your body is not absorbing the carbs from fiber, I could become hypoglycemic if I were to take insulin for them.
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    itsflaccoi wrote: »
    am i still going to lose fat eating very healthy 85g of carbs

You are going to lose fat if you eat at a calorie deficit. Period. No matter what you eat.
    You have to decide for yourself what those calories will consist of: what you like, what will fill you up enough so you are not starving, and a nod to good nutrition. High, low, medium carbs, it is all a matter of preference and a WOE you can live with for a while, tweak, and make your own.

Pay no attention to the word 'clean' here on this site until you've read a little more info and decided what you want to do. Dirty is not a dirty word.

• tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Man the last month I've eaten a very mostly carb diet. Still losing! Carbs don't matter for weightloss. Eat them if you want! Just stay in a deficit and you are good.
  • Jennala84
    Jennala84 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    depending on which way of eating you are going with, is whether or not you eat high carbs or low carbs (I do not advocate no carbs, yes people do it but... no, just no lol)
    Personally I'm low-carb, ketogenic actually, and still eat carbs. most of the ones you are counting come from the fructose/sugars in berries and in the apples. carbs from broccoli are mostly fiber, so if "counting carbs" as was mentioned above you subtract it from the main amount.
    50 carbs per day is meaningless without knowing your other macros first.
    however with what you said you are eating? you are going to lose weight, there is no doubt in my mind. if you hit a plateau though, i'd drop the berries personally, however, learn your body, know what you need to get by :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    itsflaccoi wrote: »
    Ok so im still eating about 500 calories under maintenance And I usually eat about 50g of carbs max but i just recently changed my diet to where in preping all my meals i eat Broccoli and Carrots in every meal and about two apples a day and eat 3 chicken beasts & berrys so a very healthy Diet but my carbs went up from the broccoli and apples and from what i heard is to lose fat i should eat below 50g of carbs it boosted it to 85g so do i take a apple or maybe some broccoli out or am i still going to lose fat eating very healthy 85g of carbs

If your CI (calories in) is less than your CO (calories out) you will lose weight regardless of a slight carb increase.

If you want to to be in ketosis, 85 g of carbs per day will probably be too high unless you are eating your carbs right around the time that you exercise so they are burned off immediately.
  • hankdmoose
    hankdmoose Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    in my experience, the only bad thing about carbs is you tend not to feel as full from them. Especially if you're eating a lot of simple sugar, high-fructose stuff (there's actual science behind that). Basically if you eat a candy bar, you're going to be hungry again sooner than if you eat the same calories from almonds, which are mostly fat and protein.

And since your carbs come with a lot of fiber, you're going to get more mileage out of them than you would with a candy bar, as well.

It's all about maintaining a net deficit. I've lost 12 lb since August (only been tracking here since November) and I eat WAY more carbs than MFP wants me to. And I'm not talking healthy carbs, either. I eat the same junk I always did; I just eat less of it. I weigh it out and track it right away so I'm less temped to back for more. I eat until I'm satisfied, not until I'm full.

In short, yes. Where weight loss is concerned, calories are calories. If you burn more than you eat, you will lose weight.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options

What new hell is this?

As a type 1 diabetic who doses insulin based on net carbs, I also deduct fiber (and 50% of sugar alcohols) from carb counts used for meal boluses. Since your body is not absorbing the carbs from fiber, I could become hypoglycemic if I were to take insulin for them.

Really interesting reply to this! And as you are a T1 Diabetic some really interesting information and makes a lot of sense! Thank you