Can i eat CARBS

Options
2»

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's how to wrap a carb up in to satiating goodness. Take a crepe (carb), spread it with peanut butter (fat and protein), Greek Yogurt (protein and carb), banana slices (carb and fiber) and rhubarb jam (carb and fiber). Roll up and eat. Some of these are simple carbs but because they are all being eaten together, it is much more satiating.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I love carbs by the way!! And through my experience I find a diet with carbs above 160gm a day yes above 160gm my FAT loss is greater and muscle preservation is great, carbs BELOW 160gm my muscle loss becomes greater and fat loss slows! (Measurements taken via dexa scans) Carbs aren't the devil carbs are fuel for the body to perform at its biggest potential!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    You need to throw whoever told you you need to eat less than 50g of carbs to lose fat out of your life. You don't need bad influences like that.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Carbs aren't evil. They don't wander around your body with pitchforks stabbing the fat to keep it in your body. So unless you're the 1% of the human population with Cilaic disease, carbs are fine.

Here's the thing: You need to develop a diet that works FOR YOU and will be something you are willing to stay with FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. There are plenty of people that go low carb and are perfectly happy that way. I am not one of them; you'll have to pry the garlic butter bread sticks out of my cold, dead hands! But if low carb makes you happy and you're comfortable keeping it up the rest of your life, that's fine. If you want carbs, that's fine too. Just make sure your calorie input is less than your calorie output and you'll lose weight.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I love carbs by the way!! And through my experience I find a diet with carbs above 160gm a day yes above 160gm my FAT loss is greater and muscle preservation is great, carbs BELOW 160gm my muscle loss becomes greater and fat loss slows! (Measurements taken via dexa scans) Carbs aren't the devil carbs are fuel for the body to perform at its biggest potential!
    This fits me to a t. Less carbs and I lose muscle. I need carbs to preserve muscle and lose fat.

• Dreamyriver
    Dreamyriver Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    mweckler wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    yes you can eat carbs, you also subtract your fiber from your carbs, so if you are eating something with 10 grams of carbs and 5 grams of fiber, than you only count 5 grams of carbs for that item. I have lost over 60 lbs and I eat more than 50 grams of carbs a day.

What new hell is this?

It is the Atkins way to get the net carb total. Basically you deduct fiber and sugar alcohol because they minimally impact blood sugars.

As a type 1 diabetic who doses insulin based on net carbs, I also deduct fiber (and 50% of sugar alcohols) from carb counts used for meal boluses. Since your body is not absorbing the carbs from fiber, I could become hypoglycemic if I were to take insulin for them.

Just so this doesn't inadvertently confuse a diabetic who isn't in the States, in Australia and the UK you wouldn't do this as fibre is not included in the carb quantity in the nutrition info panel. Don't know about other countries so it would be wise to check with your diabetes management team first.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    yes you can eat carbs, you also subtract your fiber from your carbs, so if you are eating something with 10 grams of carbs and 5 grams of fiber, than you only count 5 grams of carbs for that item. I have lost over 60 lbs and I eat more than 50 grams of carbs a day.

What new hell is this?

It is the Atkins way to get the net carb total. Basically you deduct fiber and sugar alcohol because they minimally impact blood sugars.

As a type 1 diabetic who doses insulin based on net carbs, I also deduct fiber (and 50% of sugar alcohols) from carb counts used for meal boluses. Since your body is not absorbing the carbs from fiber, I could become hypoglycemic if I were to take insulin for them.

Just so this doesn't inadvertently confuse a diabetic who isn't in the States, in Australia and the UK you wouldn't do this as fibre is not included in the carb quantity in the nutrition info panel. Don't know about other countries so it would be wise to check with your diabetes management team first.

True. I'm in Australia and I only count net carbs for fresh produce, fruit and veggies.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

What new hell is this?

Good point... nutrition labels differ by country. In the U.S., Fiber is included in the Total Carbohydrate measurement, as are Sugar Alcohols. Some countries do not label that way.
  • eluvscats
    eluvscats Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    Carbs aren't evil. They don't wander around your body with pitchforks stabbing the fat to keep it in your body. So unless you're the 1% of the human population with Cilaic disease, carbs are fine

Just FYI, Celiac disease just requires limiting gluten-containing carbs only. Celiacs can and do have all the other carbs they want (potatoes, rice, fruit, nuts, etc).

To the OP, I regularly eat around 100g of carbs per day and lose just fine. I can't handle the low carb counts required for ketosis, and don't know why I'd want to have to stress over eating an apple. Just make the adjustment and see what happens. :)
  • janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    I have ate carbs and still lost weight. I just try not to eat carbs without calculating, chips and snack crackers can add up quickly.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    eluvscats wrote: »
    dubird wrote: »
    Carbs aren't evil. They don't wander around your body with pitchforks stabbing the fat to keep it in your body. So unless you're the 1% of the human population with Cilaic disease, carbs are fine

Just FYI, Celiac disease just requires limiting gluten-containing carbs only. Celiacs can and do have all the other carbs they want (potatoes, rice, fruit, nuts, etc).

To the OP, I regularly eat around 100g of carbs per day and lose just fine. I can't handle the low carb counts required for ketosis, and don't know why I'd want to have to stress over eating an apple. Just make the adjustment and see what happens. :)

?? Gluten is a protein, not a carb.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the way people use the term carb can be bizarre.
  • boomshakalaka911
    boomshakalaka911 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Why do carbs get such a bad rep? Your body wants carbs. It's the easier macronutrient to metabolize for energy.

Eat more carbs.

As long as you're below your TDEE you're good to go. Don't listen to these fad no carb diets. You will feel better and think better G'd up on carbs
  • N200lz
    N200lz Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I applaud your efforts to go low carb. That shows that you have an open mind and are willing to discover what works for you.

As I have grown older I have noticed that what worked for me at one time does not work for me now. That said, what works for one person does not have to work for the next.

Case in point:
    When I completed college I decided that my focus would be on my physical conditioning and well being. I was totally strapped and could not afford a good diet and tuition at the same time.
    I started eating better and eating a lot.
    I would have steak and eggs for breakfast and a crash weight gain (1,000+ cal) shake.
    After work I would have another crash weight gain shake before I started my weight workout (40-45 min.)
    Post workout another CWG shake.
    Dinner was similar to lunch with another CWG shake.
    Another shake before going to bed.
    Lunch was roast & potato, veggies and a crash weight gain shake.

I'm estimating that my intake (CI) was in excess of 6,000 cal/day.
    I got to 155 lb. and could not for the life of me put on another ounce.
    So if CICO worked for everybody,I should have been packing it on but my body was not storing anything.

Fast forward to today and it's a different story. I hover between 160-165 and manage that the via low carb & keto approach.
    I talked with a couple of friends this summer who both switched over. One lost 35 lbs, the other 44 lbs.
    For them it has worked well to get them where they want to be in spite of all the other methods they have tried.

So, good for you for trying something different.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Having trouble keeping to low carb and feeling stressed out about going up a few grams shows that a low carb diet may not be the best choice for you. People who successfully lose on low carb long term are usually happier being low carb than they are on a higher carb diet. This doesn't seem to be the case for you.

To lose weight successfully you need to find something that you can tolerate long term. Being miserable or too stressed on a diet will only lead to quitting. Eat as many carbs as you feel is necessary to keep you happy but within your calorie budget. 50, 100, 200, or even 300 grams of carbs it doesn't matter. As long as you don't go over your calories consistently you will be able to lose fat. No need to complicate things and make them harder for yourself. The best diet for you is the one you find to be the easiest to follow, regardless of any other less important details.