Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Eat before or after workout??

Hi everyone. So I'm new to all this and trying to get into shape before June. I need to lose about 30 pounds. But the one thing I keep struggling with is, do I eat something before I workout or workout first then eat? Every morning I've been waking up extra hungry and am always wondering if I should eat before or after? If you have any answers for me pls chat me back. I would greatly appreciate it.

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Whatever works best for you. If you're too hungry to properly work out, eat first. If you do better on an empty stomach, do that.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    I have always eaten before and after my workouts. Weight loss was never an issue doing this for me and I'm still 16 pounds under my set goal weight. I say, eat when you're are hungry and stay within your daily calorie goal for the day and weight loss shouldn't be a problem for you either. Especially since you are adding exercise into your routine.
  • SheDevilMilf
    SheDevilMilf Posts: 45 Member
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    I have always eaten before and after my workouts. Weight loss was never an issue doing this for me and I'm still 16 pounds under my set goal weight. I say, eat when you're are hungry and stay within your daily calorie goal for the day and weight loss shouldn't be a problem for you either. Especially since you are adding exercise into your routine.

Awesome and thank you for responding back.
  • SheDevilMilf
    Whatever works best for you. If you're too hungry to properly work out, eat first. If you do better on an empty stomach, do that.

Okie dokie... Makes sense to me. And thank you for responding back.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Personal preference.

One person's routine isn't necessarily going to work for you.
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    I usually eat after but that's just because I do my workouts at 5:30 in the morning and I'm not generally hungry before that.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,396 Member
    I work out early in the morning before work (wake up at 4:40). It's too early and not enough time to eat a full meal so I usually just take a handful (in a little tiny Tupperware or baggie) of cereal or a granola bar and a coffee or Gatorade with me to consume in the car for my 25 minute commute to the gym/work. Then when I get to work at 7 I drink a big thing of water and have a piece of fruit or a yogurt. If I'm hungry around 10 then I'll have another snack under 200 calories and that holds me over till lunch.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    I usually exercise in the early afternoon, and I normally have a light lunch. After a workout, I try to keep an apple, mandarin, or a small orange handy, because I am starving by then, and have a 45 minute drive through rush hour traffic.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,887 Member
    Personal preference. I don't like anything in my stomach before working out except some caffeine. Others like simple carbs before a workout.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    I might use GU if i'm going on a long run. but otherwise, i don't eat anything before. I drink milk in the morning
  • SheDevilMilf
    Thanks to everyone for replying. It really did help and now I'll know what to do. Thank you!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Hi everyone. So I'm new to all this and trying to get into shape before June. I need to lose about 30 pounds. But the one thing I keep struggling with is, do I eat something before I workout or workout first then eat? Every morning I've been waking up extra hungry and am always wondering if I should eat before or after? If you have any answers for me pls chat me back. I would greatly appreciate it.

whatever is clever...it really doesn't matter.
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    I would recommend that if you eat before the work out, keep it light as I have had some bad experiences with eating a something heavy (oatmeal) and working out hard and then throwing it back up :persevere:
  • SheDevilMilf
    I would recommend that if you eat before the work out, keep it light as I have had some bad experiences with eating a something heavy (oatmeal) and working out hard and then throwing it back up :persevere:

That's what I was afraid would happen to me... That's why I was asking and wanted to know what ppl do. But I think now I have a good feeling what to do. Like you said eat something small. I do take a pre workout drink but have been feeling a bit nauseous when I drink it... So a little something before it should do it
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Its personal preference and does not make much of a difference in terms of weight loss etc. Some people like to fuel there workouts by eating beforehand and others like my self like to train fasted and eat after the gym. Its the overall numbers at the end of the day that matter.The best method is what suits your lifestyle and is the most sustainable. Play around with it and see what works best. Good luck.
  • SheDevilMilf
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    Its personal preference and does not make much of a difference in terms of weight loss etc. Some people like to fuel there workouts by eating beforehand and others like my self like to train fasted and eat after the gym. Its the overall numbers at the end of the day that matter.The best method is what suits your lifestyle and is the most sustainable. Play around with it and see what works best. Good luck.

Thanks for your feed back. And yea, though I'll want to eat, I know I won't be able to have a big meal or else up it'll all come out
  • LUHAN27
    LUHAN27 Posts: 211 Member
    edited December 2015
    I personally don't like working out on an empty stomach; it makes the workout harder imo. I either drink ginger green tea(nothing added) or coffee with a little skim milk/creamer. That gives me a bit of energy.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,636 Member
    Also, it may make a difference *what* you eat. I sometimes row (boats, on the water) first thing in the morning; sometimes I go to spin class. I'm better off with just a bit more carb-o-licious food for rowing (English muffin under my peanut butter), but if I eat that before spin class, I sometimes get reflux. Before I amp-ed up my rowing breakfast, I felt somewhat drained after, but the English muffin changed that. I feel fine after spin.

Whether to eat, and *what* to eat, is a great subject for personal experimentation. Good luck, you'll sort it out!
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Definitely personal preference. I used to work out in the evening, so I was OK working out without eating first since I still had some energy from lunch. But, these days I'm up at 5 for bootcamp at 6 so I find I have more energy if I grab a granola bar or banana as I'm leaving the house to get me through the workout. Then I'll have a protein shake afterward.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    For cardio - I don't eat right before because I will throw up. If I've eaten, I'll wait a couple hours before I run.
    For lifting - It doesn't matter if I eat or not before