Replies

• ShrinkingKerrie
    ShrinkingKerrie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    English people are great ;)
  • jen81uk
    jen81uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    We're all sarcastic and not all tea drinkers, yak! There's as much a north south divide in England as with uk and us stereotypes! #proudnortherner... Ish? Lol x
  • velocityc6
    velocityc6 Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Having visited London once, I took a liking to English people. I do fin the breakfast choices a little out of my taste
  • ExileFromTheNorth
    ExileFromTheNorth Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    jen81uk wrote: »
    We're all sarcastic and not all tea drinkers, yak! There's as much a north south divide in England as with uk and us stereotypes! #proudnortherner... Ish? Lol x

You're from Lincoln......you ain't no Northerner! #yellowbelly ;)
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    As someone who lives in England but who's not English:
    *Great dry, sarcastic humour
    *Queues for no apparent reason
    *Passionate about FOOTBALL not soccer
    *Obsessed about the weather
    *Looks at you like a weirdo if you try to strike up a conversation on the underground
    *Gets infuriated if you stand on the wrong side of the escalator
    *Insults you in ingenious ways, you might even be flattered, until you Google it
    *very polite
  • canoepug56
    canoepug56 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Emmets
  • ExileFromTheNorth
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    *Looks at you like a weirdo if you try to strike up a conversation on the underground
    *Insults you in ingenious ways, you might even be flattered, until you Google it
    *very polite

Fully agree, however we queue because it is quintessentially correct!
  • GillianSmith2
    GillianSmith2 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    *very polite

I am from Nottingham the home of Robin Hood :) where all of the above is correct except for the escalator.
  • Bonny132
    Options
    canoepug wrote: »
    Emmets

Interesting, please expand, do you mean a Cornish emmet which is how they describe tourists or just non Cornish people?
    An English emmet, which is an ant?
    Or what about an Irish Emmet, which is how they describe people they particularly dislike in Southern Ireland?
  • canoepug56
    canoepug56 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    canoepug wrote: »
    Emmets

Interesting, please expand, do you mean a Cornish emmet which is how they describe tourists or just non Cornish people?
    An English emmet, which is an ant?
    Or what about an Irish Emmet, which is how they describe people they particularly dislike in Southern Ireland?

Cornish Emmet :)
  • jen81uk
    jen81uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    jen81uk wrote: »

You're from Lincoln......you ain't no Northerner! #yellowbelly ;)

Originally from Yorkshire... That's north! I said ish! Midlander sounds pants x
  • jennmpantoja
    jennmpantoja Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    I am just loving this entire conversation!! As an American from Kansas and my goal is to go to England I watch videos and tutorials about English people and I am trying to understand Rugby. It looks like lots of fun!
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I am from America and never met anyone from England. I do enjoy Harry Potter and his cute accent- Is everyone a wizard in England? Are there religious extremists in England that "banned" the Harry Potter books, as well? Is it even slightly socially acceptable to not like Harry Potter? How do you get your broomsticks to fly? Do your vacuums do the same? Do you even call them vacuums? So many questions!! :D Don't get me started on Dr. Who...
  • ExileFromTheNorth
    Options
    I am just loving this entire conversation!! As an American from Kansas and my goal is to go to England I watch videos and tutorials about English people and I am trying to understand Rugby. It looks like lots of fun!

Rugby is actually very easy - think continuos NFL but you can't throw forwards, and can't tackle a person who doesn't have the ball. (Before other Brits jump on my case, I'm trying to simplify it to 'others'!!!)

No - we don't all talk like Harry Potter or Bond. We have numerous accents and dialects. Someone from one side of Scotland can sound very different to another Scotsman. Some people speak Gaelic, Welsh and Cornish!)

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Girls with English accent (ESPECIALLY Cockney) = Yummz and RAWRZ.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I swear, every time a buddy of mine are admiring someone from a distance this happens:

Him: She's attractive.
    Me: She's from England
    Him: How can you tell?
    Me: Because I think she's gorgeous.
    Him: What does that have to do with her being English?
    Me: Just go ask her where she's from.
    Him (coming back after talking to her): You're right.. she's from (insert any English city here).
    Me: Told you.
    Him: How did you know?
    Me: Because I thought she was attractive.
    Him: What's that got to do with anything?
    Me: No idea, but it always works out that way.

Something on the order of 2 dozen times now.

*Edited to fix words... because they are hard.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Based on the actual English people I've known, I tend to have this stereotype in my mind of them being really smart but not caring really about a lot of material things or even about their own hygiene and style...and they are some of the more attractive & stylish people, despite that.

Tiny sample of like 20 people I actually know but they're all just like that. Guys and girls. Less likely to obsess over things. More likely to get drunk, not shower, still turn up to an event looking fabulous but smelling all sweaty. I've also noticed English women tend to have these awesome capsule wardrobes, and don't mind wearing the same skirt or top like two or three times in a week (even in a professional environment).

• robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    We are actually pretty cool people if you get to know us :p
  • Bonny132
    Options
    I am from America and never met anyone from England. I do enjoy Harry Potter and his cute accent- Is everyone a wizard in England? Are there religious extremists in England that "banned" the Harry Potter books, as well? Is it even slightly socially acceptable to not like Harry Potter? How do you get your broomsticks to fly? Do your vacuums do the same? Do you even call them vacuums? So many questions!! :D Don't get me started on Dr. Who...

@MsJulesRenee
    Not everyone are wizzards, most are muggles, only the special ones gets to become wizzards and to go to Hogwarts (there are other schools, but lets face it, Hogwarts is the best)

The Harry Potter books have replaced the bible for wizzards, so there is no banning, it is actively promoted, and churches are now just for muggles, the wizzards have their own temples

Broomsticks to fly? Erm magic.... geeshhhh watch the Harry Potter movies again

Vacuums are hoovers and no they do not fly, unless we cast a spell on them to chase you around the room or something