What do you think of English people?

Options

Replies

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    How awesome is having a royal family rather than a prime minister or president.

Long live the king!
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

Long live the king!

Erm we have a Royal Family AND a Prime Minister :wink:
    and long live Queen Elizabeth, we have a Queen in charge, not a King.
  • jennmpantoja
    jennmpantoja Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    I am just loving this entire conversation!! As an American from Kansas and my goal is to go to England I watch videos and tutorials about English people and I am trying to understand Rugby. It looks like lots of fun!

Rugby is actually very easy - think continuos NFL but you can't throw forwards, and can't tackle a person who doesn't have the ball. (Before other Brits jump on my case, I'm trying to simplify it to 'others'!!!)

No - we don't all talk like Harry Potter or Bond. We have numerous accents and dialects. Someone from one side of Scotland can sound very different to another Scotsman. Some people speak Gaelic, Welsh and Cornish!)

Okay that is helpful. I will keep that in mind. I know when I communicate with people they think I have a "Southern" accent. I can say living in the most central part of the United States I have no accent what so ever. Our's is pretty flat.
    I will have to google a few video's of Rugby and watch them. Understanding the rules may take me some time, however I totally understand our Football in the states, I am still learning Soccer.
  • ThatFatAsianNerd
    ThatFatAsianNerd Posts: 1,417 Member
    Options
    Great humor. Really hardworking, at least the ones I've met.
  • ThatFatAsianNerd
    ThatFatAsianNerd Posts: 1,417 Member
    Options
    Plus this guy is pretty cool.

https://youtu.be/zcgxBHBsl-4
  • jennmpantoja
    Options
    Plus this guy is pretty cool.

https://youtu.be/zcgxBHBsl-4

BEST MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!! <3
  • Bonny132
    Options
    atkinson-says-goodbye-to-beloved-character-mr-bean1.jpg
  • JackKopCh
    JackKopCh Posts: 8,044 Member
    Options
    Sugar_Pill wrote: »
    Like, @JackKopCh ?!

Cause- he's awesome. If they're all like him- it's probably the bees knees over there!

:heart:

Basically England is slang and dark humour.... and we like moaning at bus stops...
  • ExileFromTheNorth
    ExileFromTheNorth Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I am just loving this entire conversation!! As an American from Kansas and my goal is to go to England I watch videos and tutorials about English people and I am trying to understand Rugby. It looks like lots of fun!

Rugby is actually very easy - think continuos NFL but you can't throw forwards, and can't tackle a person who doesn't have the ball. (Before other Brits jump on my case, I'm trying to simplify it to 'others'!!!)

No - we don't all talk like Harry Potter or Bond. We have numerous accents and dialects. Someone from one side of Scotland can sound very different to another Scotsman. Some people speak Gaelic, Welsh and Cornish!)

Okay that is helpful. I will keep that in mind. I know when I communicate with people they think I have a "Southern" accent. I can say living in the most central part of the United States I have no accent what so ever. Our's is pretty flat.
    I will have to google a few video's of Rugby and watch them. Understanding the rules may take me some time, however I totally understand our Football in the states, I am still learning Soccer.

...what don't you understand about Rugby? Let's see if we 'Brits' can help.
  • jennmpantoja
    Options

Lol, I think I need to watch it. I am sure there are a few rules that need to be followed, right? If I make it to England (I also hope to make it to Scotland) I want to be able to watch it without bothering the person next to me to explain it. ;):) I mean nothing like ruining a game.
  • ExileFromTheNorth
    Options

Lol, I think I need to watch it. I am sure there are a few rules that need to be followed, right? If I make it to England (I also hope to make it to Scotland) I want to be able to watch it without bothering the person next to me to explain it. ;):) I mean nothing like ruining a game.

Ok!
  • jennmpantoja
    Options

Ok!

I mean I am not opposed to someone explaining it to me, please do not misunderstand. I think if I watch them on You Tube and someone explain them to me while I'm watching them, that would be helpful. Sorry if that past reply came off as rude or mean. Not what I intended. :)
  • MrsBooBear
    MrsBooBear Posts: 12,619 Member
    Options
    As a Brit, I have absolutely no interest in rugby or football. However, those are some mighty fine legs those lads have! :blush:
  • Merkavar
    Options
    7bm8od0mivvk.jpg

http://youtu.be/3wgcOsTY1iY

When I see people commenting on how awesome the English accent is, all I can think is they haven't seen shows like misfits.

Is this a real accent? Derby?
  • ExileFromTheNorth
    Options
    7bm8od0mivvk.jpg

http://youtu.be/3wgcOsTY1iY

When I see people commenting on how awesome the English accent is, all I can think is they haven't seen shows like misfits.

Is this a real accent? Derby?

It is s Midlands accent- one of many!!!

• Merkavar
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »

Long live the king!

I was just joshing, I see the queens face on my money every day
  • Bonny132
    Options

Bonny132 wrote: »

Long live the king!

I was just joshing, I see the queens face on my money every day
    LOL
  • ChrissyC1985
    ChrissyC1985 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    as a British person I'd have to say we have a lot of good points. sense of humour, particularly sarcasm and also self -deprecation we seem to excel at. I love tea and much prefer Rugby over Football.
  • ExileFromTheNorth
    Options
    as a British person I'd have to say we have a lot of good points. sense of humour, particularly sarcasm and also self -deprecation we seem to excel at. I love tea and much prefer Rugby over Football.

Yep - agree with this!
  • bobbyneedstogetfit
    bobbyneedstogetfit Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I'm English ;)