Supplements eating into my calories!!

Options
I bought protein powder because I'm always falling short of protein every day and I do work out at the gym, so feel I need it. But it's 100 calories per scoop! Also bought aloe vera juice to help with acid reflux, of which you're supposed to take 2 oz four times per day, but I am only taking it once or twice a day because that too diminishes my allowable calories for food! I'm starting to feel resentful of these supplements when they cut into my food allowance and I have to forego a "treat" that I look forward to or scale back something that I had preplanned into a meal.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can always trade the protein powder for other sources of protein (fish and lean meats). Is there anything else that helps with your acid reflux?
  • Terri2874
    Terri2874 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Just this morning I read an article in consumer reports about protein powders/ supplements. They are full of heavy metals and other ingredients that can be damaging....and it's better to get protein from natural sources.
    Look it up when you can...
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way about protein powders. I'd rather get my protein from foods. I do use one occasionally, Nature's Bounty, but I use only one scoop, which is 60 calories, rather than the two the container calls for, and put it in a glass of milk. I could eat a greek yogurt or have an extra few ounces of lean chicken or fish for 100 calories. Regarding the aloe for reflux, I've never heard of that remedy. I take a prilosec once in a while myself. You could look at the situation in reverse -- get your nutrition from natural sources, i.e., actual food, and take an actual medicine for your medical condition.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    So stop. Wasted calories and what good do they really do?
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    how much protein are you trying to get? Why do you think you need that much protein?

USDA recommendation is 0.37g/lb per day, 0.64g/lb per day is the most proven to have any benefit, and 0.82g/lb adds a safety measure for genetic differences.

I could easily make the argument that you only need 0.37g/lb per day if you aren't particularly trying to build muscle or increase cardio. Even if you were, 0.64-0.82g/lb per day is the most you need for maximum benefit. If you don't care about maximum benefit and just want some additional benefit, then 0.5g/lb per day may be good enough.

To top it off, you can always eat more meat instead of taking a protein supplement. Protein supplements are really just for convenience, and little else. They may have a slightly higher concentration of protein (i.e. g per total calories) than anything else, but chicken is pretty good at almost 75% protein.

I use a protein shake, but that is only because I'm too lazy to cook up chicken, and a can of tuna is more expensive. Once I have more calories to eat (i.e. done losing weight), I'll probably switch to burgers as my go to protein source just because I love them and I'll need those extra calories anyways.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    how much protein are you trying to get? Why do you think you need that much protein?

USDA recommendation is 0.37g/lb per day, 0.64g/lb per day is the most proven to have any benefit, and 0.82g/lb adds a safety measure for genetic differences.

I could easily make the argument that you only need 0.37g/lb per day if you aren't particularly trying to build muscle or increase cardio. Even if you were, 0.64-0.82g/lb per day is the most you need for maximum benefit. If you don't care about maximum benefit and just want some additional benefit, then 0.5g/lb per day may be good enough.

To top it off, you can always eat more meat instead of taking a protein supplement. Protein supplements are really just for convenience, and little else. They may have a slightly higher concentration of protein (i.e. g per total calories) than anything else, but chicken is pretty good at almost 75% protein.

I use a protein shake, but that is only because I'm too lazy to cook up chicken, and a can of tuna is more expensive. Once I have more calories to eat (i.e. done losing weight), I'll probably switch to burgers as my go to protein source just because I love them and I'll need those extra calories anyways.

The higher recommended protein levels are recommended during weight loss to help sustain your current muscle mass, when combined with resistance training.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

The higher recommended protein levels are recommended during weight loss to help sustain your current muscle mass, when combined with resistance training.

Agreed, but we don't know what the OP is doing. While eating 0.64-0.82g/lb day guarantees optimal protein intake (not optimal results as that requires more than just protein), depending on personal goals, "good enough" is often acceptable.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Eat food.
  • michael_jordan7
    michael_jordan7 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Eat food.

This
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I use protein powders for a meal replacement for lunch. If I didn't do that, I probably wouldn't use it at all. I couldn't have a protein smoothie and then something else because I would end up going over at dinner time. I can do a smoothie for less than 300 cals and be good until dinner, with maybe a small mid-afternoon snack.

I save most of my calories for night time when I seem to turn into a mindless eating zombie.
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I bought protein powder because I'm always falling short of protein every day and I do work out at the gym, so feel I need it. But it's 100 calories per scoop! Also bought aloe vera juice to help with acid reflux, of which you're supposed to take 2 oz four times per day, but I am only taking it once or twice a day because that too diminishes my allowable calories for food! I'm starting to feel resentful of these supplements when they cut into my food allowance and I have to forego a "treat" that I look forward to or scale back something that I had preplanned into a meal.

I have my protein powder shake as my breakfast, otherwise I'd struggle to fit it into my calorie allowance too.
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Just this morning I read an article in consumer reports about protein powders/ supplements. They are full of heavy metals and other ingredients that can be damaging....and it's better to get protein from natural sources.

Not all protein powders are made the same.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    A few months ago, I purchased a lean protein powder to boost my protein - I wasn't eating enough of it. It was around 117 calories which isn't a lot - but since I maintain on around 1700 ish (I'm petite and quite sedentary) - it ate into my calories more than I would have liked. I stopped the shakes and started eating steaks and chicken. Problem solved and it was far tastier than the sickly sweet shakes! :D
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    100 calories of chicken breast is better than 100 calories of protein powder. Try to find more protein sources as food. Eggs, chicken, and tuna are good cheap go to sources to have around.

"Better" how?
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I use either chick peas, cannellini or butter beans in my smoothie instead of protein powder - both protein and fiber in one and its all natural no added chemicals
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Could you possibly use the protein powder to make a treat with?

There are several recipes for peanut butter balls with protein powder as part of the ingredients. I made some the other night and they were quite good...

Mine had pb, bananas, oatmeal, flax seed, protein powder...in other words...anything that I could find in my pantry.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    " protein powder because I'm always falling short of protein every day and I do work out at the gym, so feel I need it. But it's 100 calories per scoop."

Ok so let's try to compare apples to apples. How much protein is in that 100 calorie scoop of powder? How much protein is in 100 calories of chicken breast? How much protein is in 100 calories of steak, chick peas, cannellini beans, tuna et al.?
    Wouldn't a gram of protein to # of calories review be more appropriate?

According to http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-chicken-chicken-breast-without-skin-raw_f-ZmlkPTY4Mjc1.html -

4 oz. skinless chicken breast, 124 calories, 26.1 g protein.

5.4 oz. Light Tuna, canned in water, drained 179 calories, 39.3 g protein.

How does the powder stack up?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,975 Member
    Options

What's in your protein drink and What our tests found?

Which ingredient is bringing the heavy metals? My whey protein has just whey protein isolate, natural French vanilla flavor, sun flower lecithin, and xanthan gum. The whey comes from a cow that was grass fed. My pea protein has just pea protein isolate.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,975 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Assuming you eat meat, I don't know what you consider a serving size of chicken. For me, it's about 3.5 ounces, and this has more calories (and more protein) than my protein powder.

47dab6c08e2179db21d2a824e3cf6c65.png