Supplements eating into my calories!!

Options

Replies

• ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I use chocolate peanut butter flavour protein powder with milk. That way it's a nice treat that satisfies a 'bad food' craving.

I only do this because I am an extremely picky eater, and it's tough to get enough protein in on days where I don't eat chicken for lunch without it.
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Aloe Vera juice is a scam and not worth it. Save your calories.
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/aloe-vera-juice-is-it-really-a-good-idea-083013.html

Buy yourself some chewable papaya enzymes (they are extremely cheap) and see if that helps your acid reflux. Digestive Enzymes along with a peptide supplement cleared my husband of his. As far as protein shakes go, if your watching calories then give AdvantEDGE carb control shakes a try, they are only 100 calories for 17g carbs. Or, if you want to stick with powdered protein then mix it with Light sugerfree almond milk (only 30 calories) ti save yourself calories.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Any juice is going to be more calories than the original plant or fruit itself. You should look into getting an Aloe Vera plant and make a tea out of it (boil the heck out of a real plant or chop it up in a mixer making it into a smoothie or something). I don't know about the juice's efficacy, but I know the plant made my mom's GERD go away. There are low cal protein powders out there that are less calories, but it doesn't taste as good. If you just want more calories freed up, you can try those, but don't be surprised if you don't like the taste of it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you are using the protein powder to increase protein, I'd not add it on, but incorporate it into a meal and figure out what it's replacing. I rarely use it as I tend to get plenty of protein, but when I do I add it to my oatmeal at breakfast and the overall calories aren't higher than my regular breakfast (with eggs, etc.). If you are low on protein (and not assuming you need more than you do), you are going to be high on other things like carbs or fat, so might want to think about what to cut -- like for me when I make pasta I'll use less actual pasta and more lean meat to get a good balance of macros (and I like it better that way anyway).
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meat, and I always fall short of my protein goal by a fair amount - every day - while hitting fats and coming close to carbs, so there isn't much I can add that will contribute ONLY protein and not also fat and maybe carbs and certainly calories. And since I take 4 classes at the gym each week, walk/hike daily, and work out on the machines at home and at the gym as well, I have heard that you have to be even more careful to get enough protein. I just am not.
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    Today, for instance, I'm 37 under the ceiling on calories, 25 under the ceiling on carbs, 12 over the ceiling on fats (I program in nuts for snacks - and they do have protein! - as well as putting hummus on my lunch salad every day instead of dressing), and still 36 under on protein. No way I can increase protein while still remaining under on both calories and carbs.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    As long as you are under your calories, you don't need to have your macros all dialed in exactly in order to lose weight. (Macros are important for health and satiety.)

Vegetarians will correct me if I'm wrong, but as a non-meat eater, your carbs will likely be higher. This was certainly true for my vegan friends. Do you look to dairy as one of your protein sources?
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Try real black licorice for your acid reflux- Not the candy but the bitter kind that you find at health food stores. Chew on a little bit to get the oil out and down your esophagus. I don't usually use home remedies but this works like a charm and almost immediately!
    It also thins mucus if you have bronchitis or cold/cough.

webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-881-licorice.aspx?activeingredientid=881&activeingredientname=licorice
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Today, for instance, I'm 37 under the ceiling on calories, 25 under the ceiling on carbs, 12 over the ceiling on fats (I program in nuts for snacks - and they do have protein! - as well as putting hummus on my lunch salad every day instead of dressing), and still 36 under on protein. No way I can increase protein while still remaining under on both calories and carbs.

It doesn't matter if you are under in carbs or over. Have the protein shake for breakfast, mix it with egg whites and cinnamon and make yourself some really protein packed healthy pancakes, use half a scoop, get a protein powder with fewer calories....just some suggestions.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How many calories do you eat? And its ok to carb over your macros as long as your total calories is at your goals.

One thing to consider is changing some of thr basic carb foods for ones with proteins (quinoa, beans or others from this list
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Are you talking grams or calories? What are the goals, the defaults? How many calories.

Based on this (if it's grams), there's something wonky in the entries you are using, because you should be under by about 136 calories with those macro results. There's usually a mismatch due to rounding, but not that much.

Carbs vs. fat doesn't matter, but if that's 36 grams less than the default MFP goal and you are on lower calories, then it probably is lower than ideal for maintaining muscle while losing weight.

What I'd do is look at what you can switch for the protein powder (or for eggs or dairy or more legumes).
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Focus on protein then fat and let carbs fill in the rest.

So make sure your food for the day will meet your protein goals. Greek yogurt, fish, lentils, etc

Prelog the night before even.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    First of all indeed eat food.

But you can also make a treat with your protein powder

Favorite is the Ice Fluf ....recipe is here somewhere I am sure @rabbitjb or @vismal has it.

But yeah it cuts into your food hehehe.

95069916.png
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I bought protein powder because I'm always falling short of protein every day and I do work out at the gym, so feel I need it. But it's 100 calories per scoop! Also bought aloe vera juice to help with acid reflux, of which you're supposed to take 2 oz four times per day, but I am only taking it once or twice a day because that too diminishes my allowable calories for food! I'm starting to feel resentful of these supplements when they cut into my food allowance and I have to forego a "treat" that I look forward to or scale back something that I had preplanned into a meal.

As to weight management, all calories are the same. If you stay at your calorie goal to lose, the weight will come off. However, it sounds like you want to replace the powder with food that will provide as much protein.

Are you able to get your allowance of protein through food instead of using a protein drink?

I occasionally include Aloe Vera juice in my diet to help with acid reflux, but it's only 4 calories per 2 ounces. If yours has more calories, any chance you can find one that is less calories? I also take probiotics and drink ginger tea, both of which are calorie free, for my acid reflux.

Finally, if you want a treat, I would just work it into your calorie allowance by pre-logging. At least that is what works for me. :)
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Just this morning I read an article in consumer reports about protein powders/ supplements. They are full of heavy metals and other ingredients that can be damaging....and it's better to get protein from natural sources.
    Look it up when you can...

Can you provide the link to that study, please, since you brought it up?
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    This appears to be it: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2010/july/food/protein-drinks/what-our-tests-found/index.htm

My initial thought was that it was just a few brands, but Alan Aragon has a more interesting response:

http://alanaragon.com/protein-scare-mongering-courtesy-of-consumer-reports.html

And here's the list compiled by Optimum Nutrition that he references:

http://www.optimumnutrition.com/news.php?article=874

tucicpajdtpl.jpg

• ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    The higher recommended protein levels are recommended during weight loss to help sustain your current muscle mass, when combined with resistance training.
    How much resistance training, and based on what research ?

I admit to being skeptical, but I will read the original research with an open mind.

• SLLRunner
    Options
    Aloe Vera juice is a scam and not worth it. Save your calories.
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/aloe-vera-juice-is-it-really-a-good-idea-083013.html

Buy yourself some chewable papaya enzymes (they are extremely cheap) and see if that helps your acid reflux. Digestive Enzymes along with a peptide supplement cleared my husband of his. As far as protein shakes go, if your watching calories then give AdvantEDGE carb control shakes a try, they are only 100 calories for 17g carbs. Or, if you want to stick with powdered protein then mix it with Light sugerfree almond milk (only 30 calories) ti save yourself calories.

Did yuo read the link in the article? The results were inconclusive.

https://nccih.nih.gov/health/aloevera
    A 2-year National Toxicology Program (NTP) study on oral consumption of non-decolorized whole leaf extract of aloe vera found clear evidence of carcinogenic activity in male and female rats, based on tumors of the large intestine. According to the NTP, from what is known right now there is nothing that would lead them to believe that these findings are not relevant to humans. However, more information, including how individuals use different types of aloe vera products, is needed to determine the potential risks to humans.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    This appears to be it: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2010/july/food/protein-drinks/what-our-tests-found/index.htm

My initial thought was that it was just a few brands, but Alan Aragon has a more interesting response:

http://alanaragon.com/protein-scare-mongering-courtesy-of-consumer-reports.html

And here's the list compiled by Optimum Nutrition that he references:

http://www.optimumnutrition.com/news.php?article=874

tucicpajdtpl.jpg

I was just about to post this...but I'll add:

foodchart206-02-10.jpg

foodchart306-02-10.jpg
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ericGold15 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    The higher recommended protein levels are recommended during weight loss to help sustain your current muscle mass, when combined with resistance training.
    How much resistance training, and based on what research ?

I admit to being skeptical, but I will read the original research with an open mind.

It depends. It's not so much about days of training, it's about total volume and time. Looking at the research on protein intake and some natural body building papers, it would suggest between 2 to 4 sessions a week. Additionally, there are more variables such as leanness, age, and protein intake. Obese individuals, such as in the below study, can maintain lean body mass while on a short term 800 calorie liquid diet (resistance vs non). But as you produce to get more lean, one will have different requirements.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10204826