Where are my macro counters at?!

Options
Hey everyone!

I'm new to this community and to macro counting in general, and I would love to create a supportive, happy, healthy group of people on here to keep on track and keep motivated! Please feel free to add me or comment below (or both!)

I'm working with a personal trainer right now with the goal of losing 25lbs of fat (from 150-125). I train with heavy lifting (4x/wk) and cardio (3x/wk).

My macro count: (post yours below!)
Carbs: 225g
Protein: 160g
Fat: 50g

~1990 calories

As of now, this is a TON (volume-wise) of food and I struggle just to eat this much in a day, and I'm full for the entire day. However, this is good because I don't ever want anything I'm not supposed to have, and I have already noticed my body is much less bloated (at least in the morning) and my stomach is already noticeably flatter.

I'm just looking to find people who are also following this type of diet so I can gain support and help with navigating the ins and outs of it and make sure I'm doing it correctly! My trainer is one thing, but a group of awesome supportive individuals will make holding myself accountable easier and much more fun.

Replies

• Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I follow TDEE and macros.

I'm 5'4, 127 lbs and my current macros are

Cal: 1375
    Protein: >100g
    Fat: > 46g
    Carb - the rest. Usually 120 - 170ish carb a day depending on if I've eaten more protein or fat in a given day.
    Fiber: > 25g

Right now I'm actually looking to find maintenance so I've slowly been increasing my calories but keeping to the protein and fat minimums.
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    DizzyMissIzzy Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Dreysander wrote: »
    Hey there! I follow TDEE and macros.

I'm 5'4, 127 lbs and my current macros are

Cal: 1375
    Protein: >100g
    Fat: > 46g
    Carb - the rest. Usually 120 - 170ish carb a day depending on if I've eaten more protein or fat in a given day.
    Fiber: > 25g

Right now I'm actually looking to find maintenance so I've slowly been increasing my calories but keeping to the protein and fat minimums.

That's great! I'm ALMOST 5'4 too hehe. I feel like the numbers I was given are a little high, but seeing as we're doing a lot of training, I assume that accounts for most of that. I know I won't GAIN weight eating like this, so that's good. I can't wait to get to the point where I can maintain though, you're at my goal weight! I should reach it within the next 6 months, I'm so excited to see what I will look like! I'm not big now, even though my weight is surprisingly high, so 25lbs down is going to be really spectacular! I was surprised to hear it was even possible for me.
  • Dreysander
    Options
    I started at 200 + lbs in January, it's been a long journey and I'm still not happy. I want recomp, I dislike my doughy midsection.

Good luck with your journey! It's totally doable.
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    Options
    Oh WOW!!!! That's amazing!!! You should be so proud of yourself, that's a huge loss! You will get there, I know it. What have you been doing for exercise?
  • Dreysander
    edited December 2015
    Options
    All summer long I mowed 2 acres of hilly grass with a push mower. Really. That's it.

Then the grass stopped growing and I was like "oh no what will I do now!?" So I started walking up and down our drive way. Fitbit says that one lap is 1000 steps and 10 floors worth of grade, I do that 3 or 4 times in the morning depending on the day.

I also recently started doing this. So far it's difficult but I'm already seeing a difference

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/8-week-muscle-building-bodyweight-workout
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    Options
    That's really impressive! Great work!
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 5"2 and 117. I count macros and calories.
    I change my macros weekly. So I'll do 40C-40P-20F, 25C-45P-30F, 40C-30P-30F. I'm not really focused on weight loss, changing body composition.
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    Options
    Talan79 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm 5"2 and 117. I count macros and calories.
    I change my macros weekly. So I'll do 40C-40P-20F, 25C-45P-30F, 40C-30P-30F. I'm not really focused on weight loss, changing body composition.

That's awesome!

Apparently my trainer intends to drop my intake pretty significantly next month to shock my body into changing fat and composition, so changing it up sounds like it's along the same lines! Beat that plateau and keep the body from adjusting!

When you do do that, do you try to get exactly the correct amount of grams, or make sure they're all close but not over? I'm having a hard time balancing them just right. I end up meeting the fat but then still having about 15g of protein and 30g of carbs left or something.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    most trainers don't have any education in nutrition so i would just be mindful of that
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »
    most trainers don't have any education in nutrition so i would just be mindful of that

This is true. Mine seems to have a good understanding, or at least, from my brief nutritional education what he is saying seems to make sense. I'll trust him for this month and see how it works and if it doesn't, I'll just go by what I know!
  • Talan79
    Options
    I did online coaching for 2 months, custom lifting plan with nutrition. Before, I ate the same thing everyday and only did cardio. And my macros added up to what I was trying to do at the end of the day, each meal was not structured that way.
    Now, I eat 5 times a day, and my macros are same for every meal. I hit them pretty much dead on. It takes a lot of planning to plan meals like that. I just play with them and then save them as a custom meal so it's easy to go back to. I never thought about cycling but it makes sense so that your body does not adjust. I saw great results from it.
    It's hard to get in all that protein. So let's say when I'm doing a meal with 40% protein, and my Greek yogurt only gives me 18g, but I really need 28, I'll incorporate protein powder to make up the difference. Same with if I eat fish, after I weight it once it's cooked, if I need to get more protein in that meal, I'll do protein powder.
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    Options
    I did online coaching for 2 months, custom lifting plan with nutrition. Before, I ate the same thing everyday and only did cardio. And my macros added up to what I was trying to do at the end of the day, each meal was not structured that way.
    Now, I eat 5 times a day, and my macros are same for every meal. I hit them pretty much dead on. It takes a lot of planning to plan meals like that. I just play with them and then save them as a custom meal so it's easy to go back to. I never thought about cycling but it makes sense so that your body does not adjust. I saw great results from it.
    It's hard to get in all that protein. So let's say when I'm doing a meal with 40% protein, and my Greek yogurt only gives me 18g, but I really need 28, I'll incorporate protein powder to make up the difference. Same with if I eat fish, after I weight it once it's cooked, if I need to get more protein in that meal, I'll do protein powder.

Thanks for the reply!

I've been adding a protein shake daily, which is great because it gives me some extra carbs as well, but I feel like adding more of it to my daily food diary always pushes me over the edge when it comes to fats, and I guess I figured not going over that number would be the most important to keep in check, is that incorrect? Should I be more focused on meeting protein than going 3-4g over my fat intake?
  • Talan79
    Options
    I think a few grams here and there isn't a big deal. Like if you are up 3g in fat but down 8g in carbs here and there. That kind of planning and trying to get perfect numbers in each meal is really hard.
    Progress, not perfection is what my coach told me. Numbers can drive you crazy when you get fixated on them. So just do your best. You're already making a change from the past so it's progress either way.
    I got my protein powder from Trader Joes, it's a low carb/low fat one. I don't even do a full shake, I use it to get my protein up in some meals. I mix with water to avoid extra calories. It's gross. I just chug it
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Impressive numbers Congrats seems like a well thought out plan..
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    Options
    I think a few grams here and there isn't a big deal. Like if you are up 3g in fat but down 8g in carbs here and there. That kind of planning and trying to get perfect numbers in each meal is really hard.
    Progress, not perfection is what my coach told me. Numbers can drive you crazy when you get fixated on them. So just do your best. You're already making a change from the past so it's progress either way.
    I got my protein powder from Trader Joes, it's a low carb/low fat one. I don't even do a full shake, I use it to get my protein up in some meals. I mix with water to avoid extra calories. It's gross. I just chug it

Haha yeah, I don't like the way protein powder tastes at all, I have to chug mine too. Not even sure it's the taste, it's possibly the consistency that drives me nuts too, so I can relate. I'll have to look and see if I can find that one or something like it! (We don't have Trader Joes here, but if I can't find a suitable substitute, I'm sure I can order online).
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    Options
    Impressive numbers Congrats seems like a well thought out plan..

Thank you! I'm trying very hard :)
  • Talan79
    Options
    @bellaa_x0 The girl I did my coaching with is a certified nutritionist, trainer, and competitive body builder. I chose her bc of her credentials. There are so many that just have great physique but not the cardinals that are in the industry. Even at my gym, most of the trainers don't look "fit".
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    @bellaa_x0 The girl I did my coaching with is a certified nutritionist, trainer, and competitive body builder. I chose her bc of her credentials. There are so many that just have great physique but not the cardinals that are in the industry. Even at my gym, most of the trainers don't look "fit".

i was just giving advice based on what i know as i have seen trainers who have no idea giving clients advice on nutrition.. and there is a huge difference between a nutritionist and a dietitian FYI. almost anyone can become a certified nutritionist.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Sounds like you've got a good plan.

That's right about where my goals are right now. I've been struggling of late, so I'm paying more attention to overall cals than to macros, but I'm starting to get back in a decent groove and macros will be getting more attention in coming weeks.
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Sounds like you've got a good plan.

That's right about where my goals are right now. I've been struggling of late, so I'm paying more attention to overall cals than to macros, but I'm starting to get back in a decent groove and macros will be getting more attention in coming weeks.

Thanks! I certainly am trying, it's a fun puzzle, and one that hopefully will yield fantastic results!