The Lucky Iron Fish

Options
2»

Replies

• starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    @jgnatca Fascinating! Thank you for sharing.
    I wonder if it would make me as sick as an iron supplement does? I have to be careful when I buy my vitamins not to get the ones with added iron or else I am nauseous for hours. If this somehow doesn't have that effect I want it!

Iron supplements irritate my stomach too. I find that natural sources of iron do not. Although it's obviously an individual choice, I personally wouldn't hesitate to try this. I have also heard there are differences in response to ferrous sulfate versus ferrous gluconate. From the website:
    A Lucky Iron Fish releases low levels of easily absorbed (bioavailable) iron per use. On average it releases 70 µg/g. To put that in perspective iron supplement pills can provide between 60mg-300mg of iron. Because our Lucky Iron Fish releases such a small amount of iron in each use users do not experience negative side effects.

There is no harm in trying it right? If I feel sick I can always not use it again.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I wonder if it would make me as sick as an iron supplement does? I have to be careful when I buy my vitamins not to get the ones with added iron or else I am nauseous for hours. If this somehow doesn't have that effect I want it!

Iron supplements irritate my stomach too. I find that natural sources of iron do not. Although it's obviously an individual choice, I personally wouldn't hesitate to try this. I have also heard there are differences in response to ferrous sulfate versus ferrous gluconate. From the website:
    A Lucky Iron Fish releases low levels of easily absorbed (bioavailable) iron per use. On average it releases 70 µg/g. To put that in perspective iron supplement pills can provide between 60mg-300mg of iron. Because our Lucky Iron Fish releases such a small amount of iron in each use users do not experience negative side effects.

There is no harm in trying it right? If I feel sick I can always not use it again.

The only concern would be oversupplementation of iron, because it is one of the minerals our body can't get rid of the excess, so it is possible to become toxic on iron. That being said, I can't recall exactly how much iron that would require. I have read that it is more common in children who take too many vitamin pills. I am looking for some information on how much would be considered too much. As for the risk of overdose from the fish, the site indicates that they test each batch to ensure that safe levels are released. Of course, any company will state that their product is safe.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    What a great idea!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

The only concern would be oversupplementation of iron, because it is one of the minerals our body can't get rid of the excess, so it is possible to become toxic on iron. That being said, I can't recall exactly how much iron that would require. I have read that it is more common in children who take too many vitamin pills. I am looking for some information on how much would be considered too much. As for the risk of overdose from the fish, the site indicates that they test each batch to ensure that safe levels are released. Of course, any company will state that their product is safe.

Recommended daily intake for premenopausal women is 18mg. Upper limit for the same group is 45mg, so 2.5 times the recommended amount. I doubt that toxicity would be a concern here.

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iron-HealthProfessional/
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Typically women don't need to worry about iron toxicity, or overproduction of iron. The primary cause of hemochromatosis is hereditary.

This lucky fish was developed for third world populations where people do not have ready access to iron supplementation or likely, even meat.