Is this stupid idea?

Options
Hi,
I have (tried) to lose weight for ages now, but all the time somethingg happens and I end up bingieing. I'm thinking of just giving up until new year. Starting a fresh anyone else doing this?

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,203 MFP Moderator
    Options
    iona_ellen wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have (tried) to lose weight for ages now, but all the time somethingg happens and I end up bingieing. I'm thinking of just giving up until new year. Starting a fresh anyone else doing this?

Don't give up. Try NOT dieting for a while, but still logging all of your intake (foods and drink) as accurately as possible. This is how I started, and I have been maintaining a 70+ pound loss for over a year. Just be honest with yourself and log everything, even if you aren't dieting. You'll be amazed at 1. how much you're eating and 2. the fact that after a bit, you'll (almost accidentally) start making different choices that lead to weight loss.

You've got this, honey. :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    iona_ellen wrote: »
    Hi,

Why not work on maintenance right now and get into the losing groove after New Years? Relax, concentrate on eating regular healthy meals, and don't worry about actual portion sizes until you are ready.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself this: what will you have learned about actually changing habitual behavior from now till the New Years? Is some magic light switch going to change everything?
    If you're not ready to do it now..................you won't be in a couple of weeks. Also if you've been trying to do it for "ages", and are still applying the same tactics, then why would it work better on New Years Day if it hasn't worked now?
    Not trying to be mean, just getting you to see what you may NOT be thinking.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    ^^^ basically what @ninerbuff said

Do you know why you end up binging every time?
    It might be a good idea to figure this out first before giving up and starting new in a couple weeks time. Otherwise you might end up falling back into the same binge cycle. Not trying to dicourage you just trying to help :)

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Ask yourself this: what will you have learned about actually changing habitual behavior from now till the New Years? Is some magic light switch going to change everything?
    If you're not ready to do it now..................you won't be in a couple of weeks. Also if you've been trying to do it for "ages", and are still applying the same tactics, then why would it work better on New Years Day if it hasn't worked now?
    Not trying to be mean, just getting you to see what you may NOT be thinking.

Kind of what I was thinking too. Get into the habit of eating regular, nutritional meals without worrying about calories or portion sizes. Start by developing that habit, then when you are ready, you can start dealing with the portion sizes and calorie counts. You are making a series of small changes in your life, so why not start with one small change now, and add in more when that change becomes a habit. This is how I started, and this is where I am 2 years later:
    58841349.png
  • Yerardi11
    Yerardi11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The problem us that you're dieting. You need to think of it as a permanent lifestyle change. Log your food and you'll learn the good and the bad. If you diet here and there you will inevitability yoyo back to where you started. Come up with your "why" and use that to drive you.