Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited December 2015
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    why do people always want to be so powerless? it's like they yearn to be victims.

lacking self control is not an addiction....it's lacking self control. bunch of victims...

I disagree that people who post that sugar has an addiction (like) affect on them are claiming to be powerless or are victims. I think they are looking for information or support on how to deal with it so they can improve. It may be true that others want to be victims but I doubt if that is true for the people around here who are trying to change.

For me, it was more than just lacking self control. I could skip the alcohol, cheese, nuts or whatever but going without sugars had different effect on me. I don't consider myself a victim because of it. I just think it took me longer to figure out how to beat it. It may have been more of a challenge for me than the average Joe who can eat a small hand full of candy and then put the family sized bag away to be forgotten for weeks.

I believe that people react differently to different foods. Sugar may be a problem for some but not others.

as sugar has never been shown to be addictive, it appears that you are using to sugar to mask a different problem.

According to the literature, most people that believe they have a sugar or food addiction are masking some kind of behavioral issue.

I realize this is true of research at the moment but it seems odd that the behavioral issue resolved itself within days of changing my diet to a low sugar, LCHF diet, and it hasn't come back in the last six months since I made the change.

I suppose it could be true that there was some behavioral change that happened to coincide exactly when I changed my diet, but I doubt it. Plus it is a common coincidence among those who have changed to a LCHF (and therefore low sugar) diet and stuck with it for (at least) a few months... It just doesn't ring true to me, although it could be possible.

I posted that caveat for the benefit of others and for any lurkers that are reviewing this thread.

ETA - by behavioral I also mean psychological, so it could be that your belief that sugar was culprit then turned into a self fulfilling prophecy when you limited it and began to feel better.

Absent a medical condition, sugar is safe and can be part of an overall healthy diet.

Perhaps, you had some undiagnosed medical condition...

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2015
    From a trigger food or "addictive" standpoint, it was never sweets for me... when I crave food it's always a handful of foods: 1. Steak, 2. Wings 3. Tortilla chips with salsa/guac 4. Steak 5. Bacon and 6 Steak wrapped in Bacon!!!!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    luv2xel74 wrote: »
    Another way to fight this addiction to sugar can be solved with a small increase in sustainable proteins like cheese and cashew butter or even avocados.

Cashew butter costs $9 a jar here. No freaking thank you.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    psulemon wrote: »
    From a trigger food or "addictive" standpoint, it was never sweets for me... when I crave food it's always a handful of foods: 1. Steak, 2. Wings 3. Tortilla chips with salsa/guac 4. Steak 5. Bacon and 6 Steak wrapped in Bacon!!!!

Pizza...always will be pizza for me.

Chips & a good home-made, heavy cilantro'd Salsa is my #2
  • ndj1979
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    luv2xel74 wrote: »
    Another way to fight this addiction to sugar can be solved with a small increase in sustainable proteins like cheese and cashew butter or even avocados.

Cashew butter costs $9 a jar here. No freaking thank you.

there is also the fact that cashews contain carbs, which would be sugar....so not sure how you treat a sugar addiction with more sugar...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    It used to be thought that dopamine was the reward hormone but it turns out it is the anticipation hormone. Dopamine levels rise before the reward is released.

Dopamine levels rise in anticipation of many rewards including addictive substances and sugar. It does not follow that sugar is addictive.

http://www.chemistryviews.org/details/ezine/1340629/Could_Dopamine_be_the_Most_Evil_Chemical_in_the_World.html
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    edited December 2015
    Sounds dreadfully unmotivating.
    Demotivating, actually.

The only thing worse than an insincere thread inquiring into sugar, is a military-style regimented attack on the subject.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member

For my husband its chips for me its the baked goods. I just know it helps me to stay in line with my food plan if I illiminate all those sugary foods. Really I'm just a lot healthier eating a variety of veg, fruit, slow carbs and a good amount of protien.
    Sugar seems to throw me off, same with caffiene I dont mind going without those things, it just means I focus on other priorities where eating is concerned.

• psuLemon
    cloudi2 wrote: »

For my husband its chips for me its the baked goods. I just know it helps me to stay in line with my food plan if I illiminate all those sugary foods. Really I'm just a lot healthier eating a variety of veg, fruit, slow carbs and a good amount of protien.
    Sugar seems to throw me off, same with caffiene I dont mind going without those things, it just means I focus on other priorities where eating is concerned.

I believe men tend to like salty items more often and women tend to like sweet things. But that is more personal perception than fact.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    When is MFP going to drop this charade and just list "Subtle Click Bait Thread Starter" in the Jobs section.
  • psuLemon
    edited December 2015
    ryry62685 wrote: »
    When is MFP going to drop this charade and just list "Subtle Click Bait Thread Starter" in the Jobs section.

Probably the same time as members learn how to ignore threads.

So never. ;)
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member

Thanks a lot, and here I was already craving steak... now I want bacon, too! Yeah, my husband will be thrilled to go grill steaks in the snow :D
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    why do people always want to be so powerless? it's like they yearn to be victims.

lacking self control is not an addiction....it's lacking self control. bunch of victims...

I disagree that people who post that sugar has an addiction (like) affect on them are claiming to be powerless or are victims. I think they are looking for information or support on how to deal with it so they can improve. It may be true that others want to be victims but I doubt if that is true for the people around here who are trying to change.

For me, it was more than just lacking self control. I could skip the alcohol, cheese, nuts or whatever but going without sugars had different effect on me. I don't consider myself a victim because of it. I just think it took me longer to figure out how to beat it. It may have been more of a challenge for me than the average Joe who can eat a small hand full of candy and then put the family sized bag away to be forgotten for weeks.

I believe that people react differently to different foods. Sugar may be a problem for some but not others.

when you say, "I'm addicted to X or Y or Z" then you are giving X or Y or Z power over you...hence you get the, "oh well...I'm addicted...what are you gonna do" attitudes that are abundant not only when people are discussing diet, but many aspects of life.

it seems these days that people are just addicted to everything...they're addicted to shopping, they're addicted to driving fast, they're addicted to this and that and the other...I stand by my opinion...people these days generally don't like taking responsibility for their actions and it's just way easier to be a victim and claim addiction.
  • ndj1979
    cloudi2 wrote: »

but all the foods you listed contain sugar....
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »

as sugar has never been shown to be addictive, it appears that you are using to sugar to mask a different problem.

According to the literature, most people that believe they have a sugar or food addiction are masking some kind of behavioral issue.

I realize this is true of research at the moment but it seems odd that the behavioral issue resolved itself within days of changing my diet to a low sugar, LCHF diet, and it hasn't come back in the last six months since I made the change.

I suppose it could be true that there was some behavioral change that happened to coincide exactly when I changed my diet, but I doubt it. Plus it is a common coincidence among those who have changed to a LCHF (and therefore low sugar) diet and stuck with it for (at least) a few months... It just doesn't ring true to me, although it could be possible.

Just a thought here, but is it possible that the behavioral change occurred when you decided to take control over your life and health? I also feel much better about so many things in life because I have taken back control (I personally don't restrict any specific foods/food groups, but that was my choice). Of course, I know that the reality for me doesn't make it so for you. Regardless of the reason, I am glad you feel better with the changes you have made.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    ryry62685 wrote: »

Probably the same time as members learn how to ignore threads.

So never. ;)

Psulemon = OP Confirmed :smiley:
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member

The funny thing is, when I gave up sugar because I thought I was addicted to it, I suddenly acquired a whole new list of "addictive" foods: 1. Egg salad 2. Chicken Legs 3. Cheese 4. Whipped Cream with slivered almonds 5. Deviled Eggs.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member

Thanks a lot, and here I was already craving steak... now I want bacon, too! Yeah, my husband will be thrilled to go grill steaks in the snow :D

Do you know what scallops wrapped in bacon cooking in some butter smells like? I'll give you a hint H-_-_-_-_-N......yum yum yum yum

• blankiefinder
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

Do you know what scallops wrapped in bacon cooking in some butter smells like? I'll give you a hint H-_-_-_-_-N......yum yum yum yum

Since the scallops might actually kill me, I'll have to take your word for it. I'll take king crab with butter on the side, instead o:)
  • psuLemon

Since the scallops might actually kill me, I'll have to take your word for it. I'll take king crab with butter on the side, instead o:)

Snow crab is so much better. But yea scallops will literally kill me too.
  • _Terrapin_

Oops, yes death does not sound good. Any other v-e-r-b-o-t-e-n items? Other fish/flesh(salmon)/shell(calms) you can't have?

• TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member

This is so true and a good observation, nvmomketo ... couldn't agree more about the facts that people are actually often looking for info/support, also that people react differently to different foods.
  • blankiefinder

Oops, yes death does not sound good. Any other v-e-r-b-o-t-e-n items? Other fish/flesh(salmon)/shell(calms) you can't have?

bi-valves. Snails, octopus, clams, oysters, squid, anything that moves by going squoooosh lol

Are you planning me a special supper? <3:D;):*
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    I'm always confused by the "Well, the research doesn't exist... yet" posts as a defense against an onslaught of science disagreeing with an opinion.

There may be a reason behind that, which is that it just wasn't promising when done.

I think the thread on eating addiction summed up my thoughts on all this.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member

From my experience this sounds very much like uninformed blaming - equivalent to "I don't understand, it must be your fault".

I've been averaging about 30-40gr carbs for about 6 months. After transitioning from a moderate carb diet to very low, my cravings for sugar/carbs decreased almost to nil - an occasional thought - that was pretty easy to power through with willpower.

OK, so hit goal weight a couple weeks ago after steadily dropping weight with very low carb and have been experimenting with slightly less strict carb levels. Full force return of 'cravings', eat signals, and food foraging. It's almost as if there is a level of carbohydrate intake that stabilizes or destabilizes my drive to eat.

I don't have a diagnosis, just an a1c that was trending higher.

Moderating carbs, even when eating them provokes distinct physical and mental consequences is difficult when everyone says 'its all in you head' or 'its your fault for not manifesting the willpower required' or 'you are fat via a character flaw'.

I would really appreciate you not projecting a personal non-issue with carbs onto the entire population. Your understanding ends with your own experience and judging others probably isn't helpful.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    umayster wrote: »

I would really appreciate you not projecting a personal non-issue with carbs onto the entire population. Your understanding ends with your own experience and judging others probably isn't helpful.

Amen.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    snikkins wrote: »
    I'm always confused by the "Well, the research doesn't exist... yet" posts as a defense against an onslaught of science disagreeing with an opinion.

There may be a reason behind that, which is that it just wasn't promising when done.

The research doesn't support my experiences which is why I added that. Perhaps one day it will (maybe). Perhaps I am just very unusual in my experiences. I doubt it though, a good sized minority seems to have similar experiences otherwise Atkins would have died off a long time ago, and similar diets (Dukkan, etc) would not have popped up.

I'm of the opinion that just because something is not researched or unknown, doesn't mean it can't be true. I've been told that there was nothing wrong with me or it was all in my head until I figured it out on my own and told the doctors what was wrong. This is my experiences with the medical establishment at least half of the time. At least. They just don't know it all yet.

So yes, technically sugar is not an addiction but there is something to it, for me, that makes it seem like I imagine a mild addiction would feel. It definitely is not that way for everyone, or even a majority of people, but sugar can be addiction like for some.

JMO
  • psuLemon
    snikkins wrote: »

The research doesn't support my experiences which is why I added that. Perhaps one day it will (maybe). Perhaps I am just very unusual in my experiences. I doubt it though, a good sized minority seems to have similar experiences otherwise Atkins would have died off a long time ago, and similar diets (Dukkan, etc) would not have popped up.

I'm of the opinion that just because something is not researched or unknown, doesn't mean it can't be true. I've been told that there was nothing wrong with me or it was all in my head until I figured it out on my own and told the doctors what was wrong. This is my experiences with the medical establishment at least half of the time. At least. They just don't know it all yet.

So yes, technically sugar is not an addiction but there is something to it, for me, that makes it seem like I imagine a mild addiction would feel. It definitely is not that way for everyone, or even a majority of people, but sugar can be addiction like for some.

JMO

My overall issue with this whole sugar addiction thing, if you look at the majority of the foods claimed to be addictive, none are plain sugar. In fact most of them have more fat than sugar and some dont even have sugar (ie - cheese).

And while i base my decisions based on current science, I do recognize that we do not know everything and sometimes the methods arent ideal. So we should be open to some possibilities exist that we have not discovered. But in this case, i tend to leans towards hyperpalatble foods over sugar, mainly for the fact that some foods that are seen as addictive either have little sugar or do not have any.
  • Heather_vaughn
    Heather_vaughn Posts: 39 Member
    Sugar is my worst addiction...:. (
  • _Terrapin_
    I headed to a steak house today; large filet, potatoes, and a beer. I may be addicted to two of the three items. hint hint NOT THE POTATO> OMG the starch..........no!