Sugar Addiction

13»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Sugar is my worst addiction...:. (

Since sugar is not addictive, that is not possible....
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    psulemon wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    snikkins wrote: »
    I'm always confused by the "Well, the research doesn't exist... yet" posts as a defense against an onslaught of science disagreeing with an opinion.

There may be a reason behind that, which is that it just wasn't promising when done.

I think the thread on eating addiction summed up my thoughts on all this.

The research doesn't support my experiences which is why I added that. Perhaps one day it will (maybe). Perhaps I am just very unusual in my experiences. I doubt it though, a good sized minority seems to have similar experiences otherwise Atkins would have died off a long time ago, and similar diets (Dukkan, etc) would not have popped up.

I'm of the opinion that just because something is not researched or unknown, doesn't mean it can't be true. I've been told that there was nothing wrong with me or it was all in my head until I figured it out on my own and told the doctors what was wrong. This is my experiences with the medical establishment at least half of the time. At least. They just don't know it all yet.

So yes, technically sugar is not an addiction but there is something to it, for me, that makes it seem like I imagine a mild addiction would feel. It definitely is not that way for everyone, or even a majority of people, but sugar can be addiction like for some.

JMO

My overall issue with this whole sugar addiction thing, if you look at the majority of the foods claimed to be addictive, none are plain sugar. In fact most of them have more fat than sugar and some dont even have sugar (ie - cheese).

And while i base my decisions based on current science, I do recognize that we do not know everything and sometimes the methods arent ideal. So we should be open to some possibilities exist that we have not discovered. But in this case, i tend to leans towards hyperpalatble foods over sugar, mainly for the fact that some foods that are seen as addictive either have little sugar or do not have any.

I hear you. Straight sugar is not an issue for many. The fats and salt play a role. It just didn't for me. My problem foods were jujubes, jelly beans and pop. Pretty much straight sugar. That is just my experience though. Ymmv.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Sugar is my worst addiction...:. (

Since sugar is not addictive, that is not possible....

Never let reality get in the way of these types of threads. This thread is indicative of why MFP needs a simple tool such as a minimum number of posts before starting a thread ... OP's only post, filled with what are at best half truths and several disproved concepts, designed to inflame, OP never returns ....
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    I saw a lecture by Dr. Robert Lustig (google him) that said that indeed, it is addictive. In my experience, when I eat sugar or refined grain, I have intense cravings for sweets. It goes away if refrain from those foods for a few days.

• ndj1979
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    I saw a lecture by Dr. Robert Lustig (google him) that said that indeed, it is addictive. In my experience, when I eat sugar or refined grain, I have intense cravings for sweets. It goes away if refrain from those foods for a few days.

Lustig has been challenged and proven to be false.

Do you suffer the same problem when you eat fruits and vegetables?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

Yes, you should indeed google him. You'd find out he is... questionable when it comes to sugar.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

Lustig is a brilliant pediatric endocrinologist. If either of my children had an endocrine disease, I'd follow his dietary advice down to the gram for how to feed them. That said, if he gave me guideliens on how to feed myself with no endocrine disease, or my children who are both healthy, I'd find a blank paper more helpful because at least without ink I could eat the paper as a source of fiber.
    The instant he steps out of the endocrine system, his ignorance because woeful. He's made statement's like "Newton's Laws of Thermodynamics" to chide caloric theory - problem is Newton died before the laws of thermodynamics ever appeared - and this was in a written piece, not some off the cuff remark where he just slipped. He's been shown by Alan Aragon to cherry pick data. His response was to do his best imitation of chess playing pigeon - knock down all the pieces, crap on the board, and strut like he won. He's designed one of the worst dietary interventions I've ever seen - no control, and he claimed it would be immoral to do a control in the study because they were overweight children, and yet he considered it moral to put overweight children on an isocaloric diet instead of the one proven to have the most improvement in health markers - you know, actually losing weight, which requires a calorie deficit. Yet he called it proof that sugar is harmful when he got results showing improvement - only most of his improvement came from kids that lost weight because he couldn't properly run his study and keep them isocaloric.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited December 2015
    luv2xel74 wrote: »
    Welcome to this discusson. I started this topic because sweets are a true addiction. If sweets are your weakness, this is a blog to help you fight this common enemy

According to the FDA sugar and its substitutes are the major contributors to obesity and diabetes.

Sugar has become the most addicting substance second to cigarettes According to the FDA and the AMA.

To break this addiction to sugar all foods must be examines closely, for its contents can hide sources of sugar.

Another way to fight this addiction to sugar can be solved with a small increase in sustainable proteins like cheese and cashew butter or even avocados.

Carefully focusing on your weightloss goals should also include identifying how much sugar you are consuming and a plan to change this before you begin a weightloss regiment.

If anyone really believes sugar is as addictive as tobacco they have obviously never smoked and tried quitting. Not even close...
    I would like a link to to this study or where you found this fact. I tried a google search and came up with nothing on FDA's website claiming what you stated.
  • ndj1979
    I do disagree with the last part about the sugar and weight loss. You can have sugar and still lose weight. And I think this post was mainly for those who have a hard time with their sugar intake like myself. I love sugar! The OP was just trying to help. Nothing wrong with that.

not sure how correlating sugar with addiction is helping, when it is not even remotely true...
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Sez3199 wrote: »
    What's also interesting is that many of these research papers go further and show that these effects are minimized or even not observed when the sugar is ingested via fruits and vegetables, and it is hypothesized that the inclusion of fiber along with the fructose/sucrose slows down or mitigates this response.

Or brownies just taste way better than apples. Even ones with a ton of fiber added.