I have a question about calorie deficit

Options

Replies

• toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS! 60 days sober of candies and crisps that is HUGE...and I have to ask - (even though I'm sure you're going through a lot of changes right now ) --- How do you FEEL?!

I feel like changing my sugar intake that significantly (I have at times, but not that significantly)- would really change how my brain felt, headaches, etc...

just curious if you feel any different !
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Mosiak wrote: »
    I don't need any preaching about the health risks of energy drinks I am all too familar with those, but my question is, even if my calorie intake is between 1200-1400 calories per day which includes 1 high calorie drink in the evening, and I still going to be losing weight? or will that one sugary drink ruin everything and I will gain weight?

Your internal organs might be gaining a coating of fat from the energy drink, so I would consider the sugar free version and some alternative more nutritious calorie source.

LOL, WUT????
  • Mosiak
    Mosiak Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    There are several issues I'd like to address here.

In the evening, since you're used to eating then, do you game then? You say you were snacking then.

It seems the best solution would be to come up with some nutrient and calorie dense foods to snack on while you're gaming.

Could you make yourself some chicken sandwiches with avocado on them and eat them with some vegetable sticks on the side? How about a protein smoothie made with Greek yogurt, berries, banana, peanut butter, and oats?

You need more protein, son!

There's nothing wrong with clustering your food in the evening when you're used to eating. I tend to have more appetite then myself. The trick is to find nourishing foods that will get you the nutrition you need and to up your calories to a more appropriate level.

Yea I used to snack while gaming, but I've stopped the snacking behavior. I no longer eat in my computer area because I feel that it encourges me to get more snacks or that I will depend on snacks to be able to enjoy gaming. Before I started this new eating habit I would feel anxiety and depression if I did not have any snacks or found that I wouldn't be able to afford more snacks, I don't want to get back into this sorta mode so I'd really rather not snack in the evenings.

I also don't want to get into the habit of eating smoothies and the likes, because I know I wont be able to keep that up at all.

I feel like I am eating a lot of varity of food, I eat Skyr (a type of protein rich dairy) in the morning, I eat a type of dense dark bread with seeds in them for lunch and on it I put 2 slices of cheese and 1 slice of ham (all scaled) For supper I am eating things like chicken and rice, pan fried cod in oil with salad and fried onion, Egg sandwich, (sometimes two of them) Fishballs with onion (haddock) sometimes I have a hotdog when I am feeling lazy, usually two of them. Every once in a while I'll have a mandarin orange here and there,

I feel this food is enough for me, I dont understand how it cant be, I feel perfectly fine, I never feel hunger or any kind of malnutrition related fatigue. If I start feeling that then maybe I'll up my intake but until then I really feel eating more would just make me feel miserable.
    How do you sleep??

For about a month now I have been having really hard time falling asleep, I'm not sure what's causing it. But it can take me up to 2 hours to fall asleep and it's pretty much every night.
    Hi mate, brilliant job on the weight loss. As you know your calories are pretty low for now but as you get closer to your goal weight I'm sure you will find a happy balance to maintain maintenance. Yeah, you should build the energy drink into your calorie allowance for the day and you should also be aware of the calorie burn that the exercise is giving you as you might want to consider eating a portion of that back. If you don't have much of an appetite for whole foods and want to increase your calorie intake without filling it with sweets then peanut butter is high in calories, convienient, does not fill you up to much and contains good fats and protein. nothing wrong with energy drinks in moderation. Well done mate. Keep it up.

Thank you, This was really helpful to me.

I don't know how much I am burning at the gym, I usually do 20minutes of cardio on the bikes before I do strength training and the bike says anywhere from 120-140 calories burnt, I dunno how accorate that number actually is. as for the weights at the muscle exercises I have absolutely no idea what I burn there if any. I don't really go to the gym to burn calories right now, I've just been so inactive for so long that my muscles are weak and my joints are weak and I get back pains and I'm just in a bad physical state so I thought I'd go and strengthen my body a little bit.

I don't want to sound like I'm some sorta person in denial that thinks they are eating nothing when realy they are eating a lots, that's not whats going on here for me. I am not deluding myself, I know exactly why I got to be 315 lbs and it's because over the last 10 years I have stuffed my face every night with candy, crisps and at least 2 litres of energy drinks almost every night. It doesn't take a genius too see that this will make anybody fat over 10 years.

I don't fully understand my issue with whole foods, I just know that breakfast makes me feel sick, lunch makes me feel sick but supper satisfies my hunger as it should. I've tried a few different types of breakfast, cereals, oatmeals, dairy products, bread and fruits but it all makes me feel miserable, physically. I suspect my body might need more time to adjust to these new meals, meals I have ignored for 10 years.

I might give that peanut butter a try, I really dislike it but maybe if I'll have just a little bit it will pack enough punch to give me a few more added calories into my plan.
    CONGRATULATIONS! 60 days sober of candies and crisps that is HUGE...and I have to ask - (even though I'm sure you're going through a lot of changes right now ) --- How do you FEEL?!

I feel like changing my sugar intake that significantly (I have at times, but not that significantly)- would really change how my brain felt, headaches, etc...

just curious if you feel any different !

I feel great actually, I no longer feel like I am falling asleep in the middle of the day, my uh .. bowel movement had improved a great deal! I also no longer suffer from intense heartburns. I think my body is definitely pleased that I dropped all this sugar!
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    ericGold15 wrote: »
    Look at your MFP log -- are you getting adequate nutrition ?
    If yes then you cancontinue as you are and lose weight and not have adverse health outcomes.
    If not then eat more healthy food. Cutting out some of the junk is up to you.

The one downside I suspect (but am not positive) you will run into with your exercising during the day but eating at night is difficulty keeping your muscle mass as you lose weight. If your body does not have quick energy (think carbs) available for more than moderate intensity exercise it will break down muscle. At night when you take in carbs and sugars the body will turn them into fat.

He won't turn carbs into excess body fat in a deficit.
    I think you mean he will not have a net fat gain.
    That is correct
    The point though is how much of the weight loss will be fat and how much LBM

Consider his night situation:
    Say his BMR is 1.5 kCal a minute, so about 90 kCal an hour
    If he drinks a 250 kCal soda that is absorbed over say 10 - 15 minutes, at least 150 kCal will be turned into fat by the body.
    Through the day most of his BMR requirements will be supplied through fat burn.
    During exercise though, a larger fraction of energy requirements may be through protein.

So weight loss is expected, but the fraction from fat Vs protein is complicated
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    OP, Are you lactose intolerant perchance? :tongue: You mention feeling sick with breakfast and lunch but not dinner. If not, have you checked out this issue with your doctor? Food shouldn't normally make you sick, I don't think...
  • Mosiak
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    OP, Are you lactose intolerant perchance? :tongue: You mention feeling sick with breakfast and lunch but not dinner. If not, have you checked out this issue with your doctor? Food shouldn't normally make you sick, I don't think...

No I'm not lactose intolerant, I think its more about eating when you just aren't hungry kinda thing. I really have no idea.
  • Mosiak
    Options
    If he drinks a 250 kCal soda that is absorbed over say 10 - 15 minutes, at least 150 kCal will be turned into fat by the body.

Holy crap haha, It takes me about 2 and a half hours to finish that drink. I savour it in my gaming session so I can have it longer :P
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You drink 4 energy drinks per evening... that might be something to do with why you can't sleep
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    As a gamer, I know exactly what you are talking about in regards to under eating at times. I will be focused on a game for hours and forget to eat. Realistically, that's pretty common among gamers. They're either really thin or really heavy (at least in my circle and community). With that being said, you need to follow the advice others are giving you. Yes, you can have your energy drink, but you need to fit in protein at the very least. I pick up protein shakes that are 150cals per serving, and that way you are getting yourself to 1500cals and getting more grams of protein. Guessing that you are getting enough is not good enough; it is the macro you should really watch.

You may not feel the effects of under eating righ away, but it will catch up to you. It can be just as dangerous at times as obesity if it goes on too long.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Look at your MFP log -- are you getting adequate nutrition ?
    If yes then you cancontinue as you are and lose weight and not have adverse health outcomes.
    If not then eat more healthy food. Cutting out some of the junk is up to you.

The one downside I suspect (but am not positive) you will run into with your exercising during the day but eating at night is difficulty keeping your muscle mass as you lose weight. If your body does not have quick energy (think carbs) available for more than moderate intensity exercise it will break down muscle. At night when you take in carbs and sugars the body will turn them into fat.

He won't turn carbs into excess body fat in a deficit.
    I think you mean he will not have a net fat gain.
    That is correct
    The point though is how much of the weight loss will be fat and how much LBM

Through the day most of his BMR requirements will be supplied through fat burn.
    During exercise though, a larger fraction of energy requirements may be through protein.

So weight loss is expected, but the fraction from fat Vs protein is complicated

You are aware that carbs undergo other processes than being turned straight into fat, right? That they refill glycogen in the liver and muscles, and glucose to maintain homeostasis in BG levels? That lipogenesis is a fairly inefficient process? And that nutrient timing (the myth of carbs at night being selectively turned into fat, as you mentioned in the original post) has been proven to be a myth and irrelevant? And that fat vs. LBM loss has much more to do with protein intake/nitrogen balance and training than whether or not (and when) you eat carbs?
  • Mosiak
    Options
    You drink 4 energy drinks per evening... that might be something to do with why you can't sleep

no I don't I used to do that, before I started MFP
  • ericGold15
    edited December 2015
    Options
    ^^, yes I am aware of non-fasting Glucose utililization and glycogen homeostasis.
    Are *you* aware of the basal use rate, and the glycogen changes through the day in a person like OP ? I am.

As for what you call a 'myth,' please provide a scientific reference to support your stance.

Reference for you:
    Am J Clin Nutr. 1988 Aug;48(2):240-7.
    Glycogen storage capacity and de novo lipogenesis during massive carbohydrate overfeeding in man.
    Acheson KJ1, Schutz Y, Bessard T, Anantharaman K, Flatt JP, Jéquier E.
    Author information
    Abstract
    The metabolic balance method was performed on three men to investigate the fate of large excesses of carbohydrate. Glycogen stores, which were first depleted by diet (3 d, 8.35 +/- 0.27 MJ [1994 +/- 65 kcal] decreasing to 5.70 +/- 1.03 MJ [1361 +/- 247 kcal], 15% protein, 75% fat, 10% carbohydrate) and exercise, were repleted during 7 d carbohydrate overfeeding (11% protein, 3% fat, and 86% carbohydrate) providing 15.25 +/- 1.10 MJ (3642 +/- 263 kcal) on the first day, increasing progressively to 20.64 +/- 1.30 MJ (4930 +/- 311 kcal) on the last day of overfeeding. Glycogen depletion was again accomplished with 2 d of carbohydrate restriction (2.52 MJ/d [602 kcal/d], 85% protein, and 15% fat). Glycogen storage capacity in man is approximately 15 g/kg body weight and can accommodate a gain of approximately 500 g before net lipid synthesis contributes to increasing body fat mass. When the glycogen stores are saturated, massive intakes of carbohydrate are disposed of by high carbohydrate-oxidation rates and substantial de novo lipid synthesis (150 g lipid/d using approximately 475 g CHO/d) without postabsorptive hyperglycemia.

--
    This is a nice article if you do not mind a little biochemistry:
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/store/10.1038/oby.2003.150/asset/oby.2003.150.pdf;jsessionid=2802E0D7DCCFB7F5CA575346ADEE19BD.f02t04?v=1&t=iidjp9vf&s=3d02e659fe69b427379397aa0bf9eac0079dd357
  • ericGold15
    Options
    Mosiak,
    I am not sure I understand your problems eating breakfast and lunch, but one physical explanation might be gastroparesis. Have you been screened for diabetes ?

If it is hyperglycemia/diabetes related then as you lose weight and control your night-time carb binges, more normal eating patterns will hopefully be possible. I'd be optimistic.
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    If you are consuming at a deficit you will lose weight; doesn't matter where those calories come from.
    I could get into the speil about balancing those out for health reasons and whatnot but that's been well covered already so I'll skip it.
    All I will say is that as a dude (virtual fist-pump to a fellow gamer), if you are grinding it right down to 1200ish calories a day you should just make sure those come from food. Your drink on top of that still only puts you at 1435; which is close enough to the default 1500 suggested min for guys to thwart the brow beatings ;)
    Good luck!
  • ericGold15
    Options
    Anvil,
    A summary of post prandial lipogenesis after carb loading for you:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2874080/

Results from several studies indicate that a large carbohydrate meal does not result in a positive fat balance (Acheson et al, 1982, 1984, 1985, 1987; Hellerstein et al, 1991; Folch et al, 2001), particularly in the recovery period following exercise, when fat oxidation and glycogen storage have been shown to be favoured (Krzentowski et al, 1982; Bielinski et al, 1985; Broeder et al, 1991; Phelain et al, 1997; Folch et al, 2001). For example, in a recent study in nonobese men, we have shown that over the 8 h following ingestion of approx300 g of starch, only approx4 g of fat was synthesized when the subjects rested before the meal (Folch et al, 2001). When the subjects exercised before the meal, fat oxidation was maintained in the recovery period. As a consequence, a negative fat balance was observed in spite of the large excess of energy intake, with a preferential conversion of ingested glucose into glycogen.

Most studies of glucose disposal after an acute large carbohydrate meal (4.4–9.1 g glucose/kg) have been confined to men (Acheson et al, 1982, 1984, 1985, 1987; Hellerstein et al, 1991; Folch et al, 2001). In the studies conducted in women (Labayen et al, 1999; Bowden & McMurray, 2000), the amounts of carbohydrates ingested were much lower (approx1.7 g glucose/kg), and no comparison was made between the two phases of the ovarian cycle or between genders. However, over a 4-h period following a approx2082 kJ (496 kcal) meal with approx103 g of carbohydrates, Labayen et al (1999) observed that approx5.3 g of fat was synthesized, in lean premenopausal women. When similar amounts of carbohydrates were ingested in men, fat balance remained negative (Krzentowski et al, 1983, 1984; Burelle et al, 1999; Korach et al, 2002). A positive fat balance has only been reported in men with ingestion of much larger amounts of carbohydrates (approx300–600 g with 0.5–9 g of fat synthesized) (Acheson et al, 1982, 1984, 1985,1987; Hellerstein et al, 1991; Folch et al, 2001). Faix et al (1993) also reported that hepatic de novo lipogenesis, monitored over 9 h with ingestion of 30 g/h of carbohydrates, was two-fold more active in women during the follicular phase of the ovarian cycle than in men. Taken together, these observations suggest that women could rely more on whole-body and/or hepatic de novo lipogenesis in the disposal of dietary carbohydrates, with, accordingly a more positive fat balance. In contrast, the replenishment of glycogen stores when carbohydrates are ingested following exercise could be smaller in women than men (Nicklas et al, 1989; Tamopolsky et al, 1995), particularly in the follicular phase of the cycle (Nicklas et al, 1989). These phenomena could contribute to the larger fat deposition in women than men, which is frequently reported in epidemiological studies (Molarius et al, 1999).

• Mosiak
    Options
    Mosiak,
    I am not sure I understand your problems eating breakfast and lunch, but one physical explanation might be gastroparesis. Have you been screened for diabetes ?

If it is hyperglycemia/diabetes related then as you lose weight and control your night-time carb binges, more normal eating patterns will hopefully be possible. I'd be optimistic.

Yea I was screened for diabetes not too long ago, I was not even prediabetic so I think I should be fine, I think maybe its mostly in my head because honestly I do not enjoy eating food that much. I never was much of a food eater to begin with, of course not counting candy and crisps which I used to consume at an alarming rate before I decided to change my way.

I am hoping my appitite will improve after I continue forcing down those two meals for a little while longer, but I really have to kick myself in the *kitten* to even get myself to consume those meals and I find myself forgetting one of them quite often, more often than I'd like. Like today for example, I skipped lunch simply because I had no hunger to remind me to eat so I have to always be aware of the time and when I should go and make food. by the time I realize I forgot lunch it was already nearly time for supper.

as for normal eating, I'm not sure what I'd consider normal, I feel like I am eating enough for my own body agh, this is one major headache lol
  • mandizz0317
    mandizz0317 Posts: 6 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I feel like I am eating plenty, I havent eaten this much actual food in 10 years, of course I used to eat a ton of candy every evening so I know exactly how I got this way. My demons are sugary sweets, that's my crack.

You could try a well-balanced nutrition shake. I'm partial to one by Advocare in "chocolate mocha." It'll bump you up by a couple hundred calories and could soothe your sweet cravings.
  • Mosiak
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Obnoxa wrote: »
    If you are consuming at a deficit you will lose weight; doesn't matter where those calories come from.
    I could get into the speil about balancing those out for health reasons and whatnot but that's been well covered already so I'll skip it.
    All I will say is that as a dude (virtual fist-pump to a fellow gamer), if you are grinding it right down to 1200ish calories a day you should just make sure those come from food. Your drink on top of that still only puts you at 1435; which is close enough to the default 1500 suggested min for guys to thwart the brow beatings ;)
    Good luck!

To be honest 1200 is not my aim, not at all. but I find it difficult to actually even get that far up (without consuming candy like I used to)

Candy and crisps along with sugary drinks by the gallons used to be my main source of calories for 10 years, and obviously I over consumed in this time because I ended up at a whopping 315 lbs. I never ate fast food, I never really ate ice cream or cookies or anything like that it was just tiny bite sized pieces of candy over the span of 8-12 hours per evening along with lots and lots of energy drinks.. yicks .. talk about bad diet.

It is my hope that if I wait long enough I will eventually train my body to accept meals I used to ignore for so long

-fist pump-

and thanks ;)

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Obnoxa wrote: »
    Good luck!

To be honest 1200 is not my aim, not at all. but I find it difficult to actually even get that far up (without consuming candy like I used to)

Candy and crisps along with sugary drinks by the gallons used to be my main source of calories for 10 years, and obviously I over consumed in this time because I ended up at a whopping 315 lbs. I never ate fast food, I never really ate ice cream or cookies or anything like that it was just tiny bite sized pieces of candy over the span of 8-12 hours per evening along with lots and lots of energy drinks.. yicks .. talk about bad diet.

It is my hope that if I wait long enough I will eventually train my body to accept meals I used to ignore for so long

-fist pump-

and thanks ;)

You mentioned you don't like peanut butter. You don't have to eat it if you don't like it. Plain nuts can do the job just as well. Walnuts, cashew, pecan, almonds, whole peanuts..etc. You might find a kind you like. They contain a lot of calories, good fats and some nutrients, including a small amount of protein.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    OP ... your current methodology should only be attempted under the prescription of and supervision by a doctor. You are partaking in a self prescribe VLCD.