I have a question about calorie deficit

Options
I've been on MFP for 60 some days, and have lost 30 lbs in total, (plenty more to go)

I'm gonna try keep this short, but I am a pretty light eater, always have been rather lazy at eating, usually just 1 meal per day and then I'd spend my evenings snacking on candy every day and up to 4 energy drinks per evening! Which explains my weight today.

I've been doing well replacing candy and snacks like it with real food over the day, but I am still rather low on the whole calorie intake per day, about 1200 altho often I am a little under it, but I do try keep it atleast 1200 and over.

I measure all my food, and read the packages and apply the data as accuratly as humanly possible. So here's my question:

I'm a gamer and I like to have 1 energy drink that contains about 235 calories per evening while I game, I only allow myself this if the calculation for the day actually has room for it, so I include the drink into my diet plan after all my meals are in. And if I find I have had too many food calories I will skip the drink for that day.

As a side note, I work out for about 45-60min at the gym 3 times a week, 20min bike cardio and the rest strength training.

I don't need any preaching about the health risks of energy drinks I am all too familar with those, but my question is, even if my calorie intake is between 1200-1400 calories per day which includes 1 high calorie drink in the evening, and I still going to be losing weight? or will that one sugary drink ruin everything and I will gain weight?

My diet is quite low calorie because I am a terrible light eater during the day, I just don't have an appitite for food, never have. I could eat myself to death on candy and crisps but as for actual food, I have never been much into it, I'm working on it. My diary is wide open for viewing altho all of the information is mostly in Icelandic.

I'll also use this time to celebrate my 60 days sober (from candy and crisps) which is HUGE for me,. I would eat at least 200-500 grams of candy per day and about 2 litres of energy drinks per day,

Replies

• soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    If you have planned your energy drink into your daily calories then you will still lose weight. Sounds like you are headed in the right direction focusing on food and drinking less of your calories.
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you can prelog your food - plan out the day and input everything into your food diary. Then you can see where that leaves you in calories and if there's something you can reduce or eliminate earlier in the day so that you can have your energy drink every evening. Congrats on your major achievement!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    With your calorie intake being so low, you just probably just have the one energy drink everyday, anyway. I'm sure you'll continue to work on adding more real food to your diet, great job so far, good start :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    By your avatar, you look like you are a guy. It is generally accepted that most males need a minimum of 1500 calories (1200 for females). It sounds like you are eating too few calories. 30 lb in 60 days is too fast of a weight loss. That is close to 4 lb a week!!!!! 2 lb a week is the max anybody should lose unless they are under a doctor's supervision.

The energy drink is not an issue if it fits in with your calorie and macro targets.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    You're a 31 year old male with quite a bit of weight to lose.

There's a lot of information going on in your post that needs to be addressed, but I'll start with your question. An energy drink can be part of your weight loss plan.

But then there's the matter of your weight loss plan. Have you been losing weight at a safe rate? Generally, people with a lot to lose can lose quickly, but not knowing your stats it's hard to say if you meet this criteria or not. Did your losses fall within the parameters of 1% of your bodyweight a week? If so, then you're okay.

However, you're eating at what's generally not seen to be an accepted caloric level for a man. It's hard to get adequate nutrition if you're not getting the bare minimum of calories.

Nutrition is extremely important to focus on while dieting. Adequate protein (.65 - .85g per pound of bodyweight) helps retain muscle mass and adequate fat (.35-.45g per pound of bodyweight) keeps hormones happy. If you're not meeting those minimums with your very, very low intake?

Replace the sports drink with some chicken and avocado.

I really do urge you to eat more. If ... and that's a big if... you are logging properly and are truly eating 1200 calories.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

There's a lot of information going on in your post that needs to be addressed, but I'll start with your question. An energy drink can be part of your weight loss plan.

But then there's the matter of your weight loss plan. Have you been losing weight at a safe rate? Generally, people with a lot to lose can lose quickly, but not knowing your stats it's hard to say if you meet this criteria or not. Did your losses fall within the parameters of 1% of your bodyweight a week? If so, then you're okay.

However, you're eating at what's generally not seen to be an accepted caloric level for a man. It's hard to get adequate nutrition if you're not getting the bare minimum of calories.

Nutrition is extremely important to focus on while dieting. Adequate protein (.65 - .85g per pound of bodyweight) helps retain muscle mass and adequate fat (.35-.45g per pound of bodyweight) keeps hormones happy. If you're not meeting those minimums with your very, very low intake?

I really do urge you to eat more. If ... and that's a big if... you are logging properly and are truly eating 1200 calories.

This.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options

I approve of this message.
  • Mosiak
    Mosiak Posts: 41 Member
    Options

Yea I am aware that I am eating too little,

I am 5'10 and started out at 315lbs of which 30 are gone so far, Yes I log as well as anyone can. There is gonna be some difference I guess, since most of the information on the food is just an estimate, general calorie amounts but it should be in the ballpark of what it actually is.

I also cross reference the database to any new food I have to make sure the information is correct.
    I weight breads and rice and potatos and fish and whatever it is I am having to get an accurate number, even cheese slices.

So as far as I can tell, I am putting in the numbers as well as anyone can do.

I am eating usually around 50-70g of protein and I dunno 100+ ish of carbs, I don't really look at that stuff to be honest.

It's not as easy as just replacing one thing with another. I just don't have the appitite for much food, I have to sorta force myself to eat breakfast and lunch, I didnt feel hungry before those meals and I certainly don't after. I dunno, maybe its just because of a decade of skipping both these meals.

Increasing calorie intake would have to come from something other than food I think.

But I feel fine with how things are now, I feel plenty of energy, I am not hungry during the day, I never was before anyway, I start to feel hunger around supper time which are usual always my biggest meals, anywhere from 450-800 calories.

I feel like I am eating plenty, I havent eaten this much actual food in 10 years, of course I used to eat a ton of candy every evening so I know exactly how I got this way. My demons are sugary sweets, that's my crack.

• MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    It's not that hard to eat or drink another 300 calories. You may not feel hungry but undereating is very dangerous. Try drinking a few glasses of milk, a small bar of chocolate, avocado, salmon, or other calorie dense foods as snacks. In the evening, if you have to. I never eat breakfast and only eat lunch at 4pm. Meal timing doesn't matter but getting enough calories and nutrients does.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options

I agree.

I'm way older then you op and female and I eat @2000/2300 per day. So you really should reconsider your calorie goal. The energy drink isn't the problem here. Your likely losing more lean mass then someone who took the slow and steady approach. When someone loses a lot of muscle mass, they end up skinny fat looking. Sagging hanging skin is not the look your probably aiming towards so I would certainly bring those calories up quickly!
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Mosiak wrote: »

Yea I am aware that I am eating too little,

I am 5'10 and started out at 315lbs of which 30 are gone so far, Yes I log as well as anyone can. There is gonna be some difference I guess, since most of the information on the food is just an estimate, general calorie amounts but it should be in the ballpark of what it actually is.

I also cross reference the database to any new food I have to make sure the information is correct.
    I weight breads and rice and potatos and fish and whatever it is I am having to get an accurate number, even cheese slices.

So as far as I can tell, I am putting in the numbers as well as anyone can do.

I am eating usually around 50-70g of protein and I dunno 100+ ish of carbs, I don't really look at that stuff to be honest.

It's not as easy as just replacing one thing with another. I just don't have the appitite for much food, I have to sorta force myself to eat breakfast and lunch, I didnt feel hungry before those meals and I certainly don't after. I dunno, maybe its just because of a decade of skipping both these meals.

Increasing calorie intake would have to come from something other than food I think.

But I feel fine with how things are now, I feel plenty of energy, I am not hungry during the day, I never was before anyway, I start to feel hunger around supper time which are usual always my biggest meals, anywhere from 450-800 calories.

I feel like I am eating plenty, I havent eaten this much actual food in 10 years, of course I used to eat a ton of candy every evening so I know exactly how I got this way. My demons are sugary sweets, that's my crack.

There are several issues I'd like to address here.

In the evening, since you're used to eating then, do you game then? You say you were snacking then.

It seems the best solution would be to come up with some nutrient and calorie dense foods to snack on while you're gaming.

Could you make yourself some chicken sandwiches with avocado on them and eat them with some vegetable sticks on the side? How about a protein smoothie made with Greek yogurt, berries, banana, peanut butter, and oats?

You need more protein, son!

There's nothing wrong with clustering your food in the evening when you're used to eating. I tend to have more appetite then myself. The trick is to find nourishing foods that will get you the nutrition you need and to up your calories to a more appropriate level.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You need more food, more protein especially. The rest was said above.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How do you sleep??
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Look at your MFP log -- are you getting adequate nutrition ?
    If yes then you cancontinue as you are and lose weight and not have adverse health outcomes.
    If not then eat more healthy food. Cutting out some of the junk is up to you.

The one downside I suspect (but am not positive) you will run into with your exercising during the day but eating at night is difficulty keeping your muscle mass as you lose weight. If your body does not have quick energy (think carbs) available for more than moderate intensity exercise it will break down muscle. At night when you take in carbs and sugars the body will turn them into fat.

Congrats on your weight loss so far, and I want to say that you already have this half beat because you are completely honest with yourself. :: two thumbs up ::
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    ericGold15 wrote: »
    Look at your MFP log -- are you getting adequate nutrition ?
    If yes then you cancontinue as you are and lose weight and not have adverse health outcomes.
    If not then eat more healthy food. Cutting out some of the junk is up to you.

The one downside I suspect (but am not positive) you will run into with your exercising during the day but eating at night is difficulty keeping your muscle mass as you lose weight. If your body does not have quick energy (think carbs) available for more than moderate intensity exercise it will break down muscle. At night when you take in carbs and sugars the body will turn them into fat.

He won't turn carbs into excess body fat in a deficit.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    You will still lose weight even if you still have an energy drink every day so enjoy your drink.

I'm usually not one to recommend juicing and smoothies, but it could be a great way to get some more nutrition and calories if you don't like eating food. while you game you can sip on a protein powder smoothie and add all kinds of nutritious things to it. You can make them as low or as high calorie as you want by controlling the kinds of ingredients you use. So, a base of protein powder plus a few other ingredients. Some things you can add that will help you bump up your calories are bananas, peanut butter, avocado, dates..etc.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Hi mate, brilliant job on the weight loss. As you know your calories are pretty low for now but as you get closer to your goal weight I'm sure you will find a happy balance to maintain maintenance. Yeah, you should build the energy drink into your calorie allowance for the day and you should also be aware of the calorie burn that the exercise is giving you as you might want to consider eating a portion of that back. If you don't have much of an appetite for whole foods and want to increase your calorie intake without filling it with sweets then peanut butter is high in calories, convienient, does not fill you up to much and contains good fats and protein. nothing wrong with energy drinks in moderation. Well done mate. Keep it up.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Mosiak wrote: »
    I don't need any preaching about the health risks of energy drinks I am all too familar with those, but my question is, even if my calorie intake is between 1200-1400 calories per day which includes 1 high calorie drink in the evening, and I still going to be losing weight? or will that one sugary drink ruin everything and I will gain weight?

Your internal organs might be gaining a coating of fat from the energy drink, so I would consider the sugar free version and some alternative more nutritious calorie source.