Weird, tasty protein meal

I started putting 2 tbsp of no sugar added maple syrup on half a carton of egg whites with 30 g of mozzarella light cheese...works out to about 60 g of protein, 4 g of fat, and 5 g of carbs. I find it boring and tricky to meal prep completely beforehand. I prefer loading up on protein while minimizing carbs and fat for the first half to 2/3 of my day. Find low calorie tasty tricks to do this and allow yourself room to fit a delicious dinner into your macros :)

Replies

• TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Congrats on finding a great high-protein meal that suits your needs. Unfortunately one person's 'weird tasty' is another's 'weird' but well done anyway; someone else might try this and like it too.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited December 2015
    Why add the maple syrup? And why not add a bit of spinach and red peppers for nutrition? Just ideas...
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Why add the maple syrup? And why not add a bit of spinach and red peppers for nutrition? Just ideas...

Maybe because it tastes good?

A better question is, why NOT add the maple syrup? (assuming one likes maple syrup, of course.)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Seriously

There's such a thing as maple syrup with added sugar? What the...
  • MelaniaTrump
    I have never put maple syrup on eggs. Makes as much sense as putting it on a steak.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    I have never put maple syrup on eggs. Makes as much sense as putting it on a steak.

It actually works. It works even better if bacon or sausage are mixed in an egg scramble, and/or on top of potatoes like a breakfast skillet.

Also dipping any breakfast sandwich from McD's and alike in maple syrup is pretty delish.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I think OP meant "maple flavored, non-caloric sweetener sweetened, slightly thickened water."

• MelaniaTrump
    edited December 2015
    [/quote]
    I think OP meant "maple flavored, non-caloric sweetener sweetened, slightly thickened water."

That sounds gross

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Seriously

This! Maple syrup is mainly sugar by nature surely?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    I started putting 2 tbsp of no sugar added maple syrup on half a carton of egg whites with 30 g of mozzarella light cheese...works out to about 60 g of protein, 4 g of fat, and 5 g of carbs. I find it boring and tricky to meal prep completely beforehand. I prefer loading up on protein while minimizing carbs and fat for the first half to 2/3 of my day. Find low calorie tasty tricks to do this and allow yourself room to fit a delicious dinner into your macros :)

Decided to give this a shot for my first dinner. With bacon, of course. Turns out egg whites left in the back of the fridge for months can freeze! :open_mouth: So now the carton is closer to the door and hopefully thawing. Therefore the good news is I actually have all the ingredients including sweetened thick water, and there's no way this experiment can be a waste. Fingers crossed!
  • MelaniaTrump
    What is sweetened thick water? I'm in the US and have not heard of this.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Hmmmmm! (as opposed to MMmmmmm)
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    In Canada only pure maple syrup can be called maple syrup - basically boiled down tree sap with no additives. I think you can buy reduced calorie maple flavoured syrup in the States but not here. Causes some confusion when following American recipes here as we can't get some ingredients.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,722 Member
    I think the op meant sugar free. I do this every night with an egg and some egg whites. Just squirt some syrup on top when they're done cooking. Don't knock it til you've tried it. :)
  • MelaniaTrump
    I put ketchup on my scrambled eggs. That's enough sweetness.
  • ekruska802
    ekruska802 Posts: 79 Member
    What's no sugar added maple syrup? I live in Vermont where maple syrup is a specific thing and is very serious business. If it's not maple syrup, it's not called that.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    allyphoe wrote: »

Yup, that's the syrup-like stuff! In my case I just wasn't familiar enough with the real deal to discern a difference, so thickened water for fewer calories it is
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    allyphoe wrote: »

Log Cabin has a sugar free maple syrup. It's horrific and watery.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    That's kinda similar to what we call a Canadian breakfast here..

Pancakes
    Fried eggs
    Fried Tomatoes
    Bacon
    scoop of vanilla cream
    all covered in maple syrup

Sounds weird, but is one of the most delicious things I've ever eaten! !!