Anyone else "big boned"?

Options

Replies

• mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Big-boned is what Midwestern mothers called their fat kids so they could feel better about feeding them fried bologna and pop tarts. I think it is related to Munchhausen's by Proxy.

I was big-boned but I was also big-assed, fat armed, and bubble toed.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Big boned doesn't have a whole lot to do with weight, though it may prevent you from having the figure you want. I have wide hip bones. No matter how low I drop my weight or BF, I will never wear a size 2, not even a size 4. But that doesn't prevent me from losing weight. It just means I'll have wider hips than someone with a smaller frame. Just like I'll never be tall or very short.

Bones are just your frame. How much muscle or fat you carry on that frame is still under your control.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Is usually based on the size of your wrist and height

If you have a lot of fat on your wrist it throws the measurement off and will give you a reading of a large frame. Lose weight, your wrist gets smaller and miraculously you are no longer big boned. I have large wrists on a tiny frame, inherited large wrist bones and wide hands from by dad. It doesn't make me big boned because my wrist is wide.
    You have to be pretty big to carry much fat on your wrists.

I have tiny, bony wrists and ankles even when the rest of me isn't so tiny, yet I gain weight evenly on my body (hourglass figure).

And "wide" hips are relative and have nothing to do with frame. I have wide hips and shoulders and large breasts compared to my waist (12-inch difference) but I have a small frame. It's no a matter of comparing my hips to yours. It's my hips compared to my waist.
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    There really is no such thing.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options

Is usually based on the size of your wrist and height

If you have a lot of fat on your wrist it throws the measurement off and will give you a reading of a large frame. Lose weight, your wrist gets smaller and miraculously you are no longer big boned. I have large wrists on a tiny frame, inherited large wrist bones and wide hands from by dad. It doesn't make me big boned because my wrist is wide.

I have tiny, bony wrists and ankles even when the rest of me isn't so tiny, yet I gain weight evenly on my body (hourglass figure).

And "wide" hips are relative and have nothing to do with frame. I have wide hips and shoulders and large breasts compared to mt waist (12-inch difference) but I have a small frame. It's no a matter of comparing my hips to yours. It's my hips compared to my waist.

I used to be big boned. I used to be able to not touch my fingers around my wrist. I could always see the bones in my wrist, so I thought it was a good indicator.

Then I lost weight and either my bones shrank or the fat that I couldn't see around my wrist went away. My fingers now overlap a bit when going around my wrist. I no longer need Wide when buying shoes and my ring size went down.

"Big Boned" was a lie that I told myself to make me feel better.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

Not necessarily. You may have tiny, bony wrists and ankles when the rest of you isn't tiny, but others might end up adding 1/4 in or 1/2 inch in diameter just because of their fat distribution. That much in a wrist can bump you up to a different bone structure category pretty easily when it's based on wrist size. It's probably safer to say it's a case by case basis.
  • TakingControl13
    Options
    I believe people can be big boned. my cousin and I are almost the same height (shes 4'10 & im 5'0) and she ranges between 90 lbs and 103 lbs. I will NEVER get that small. shes very small. even I was to get to 100 lbs id have big bones lol. I look good about 160 lbs.
  • Dol10
    Dol10 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    No. Big boned theory is a crock of shiet. Your bone density or thickness would have minimal impact on how large the surrounding tissue is. You don't have twice or even triple the size bones as a "normal' skeletal system does. So stop thinking that way.
  • rml_16
    Options

Not necessarily. You may have tiny, bony wrists and ankles when the rest of you isn't tiny, but others might end up adding 1/4 in or 1/2 inch in diameter just because of their fat distribution. That much in a wrist can bump you up to a different bone structure category pretty easily when it's based on wrist size. It's probably safer to say it's a case by case basis.
    Good point.

I'm tired, in pain and hopped up on narcotics, so take my posts with a grain of salt these days. lol

I habe always been able to overlap my fingers around my wrists, no matter my weight. My aunt is the same and she's very obese, otherwise.

My best friend, on the other hand, has a mucgh larger frame. She's 5'7" and when she gets below 140 pounds she doesn't look good.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    There really is no such thing.

Wow, remarkable discovery. All people's bones are the exact same size. Your bone structure is the same as Shaq's and Lance Amstrong's. You should be a orthopedist with all of that bone knowledge you have.
  • ShellK71
    ShellK71 Posts: 33
    Options
    to me big boned is just a nice way to say I'm fat. I do have a larger bone structure. Very broad shoulders. No matter how much weight I lose I'll always have them, Some of us have larger bone frames then others. We will never have that size 0 super model body frame that Hollywood pushes down our throats. Which is fine by me. I really like some curves on me. I also have a muscular frame. I'll never be a skinny jean wearer. Some things genetics has set for us that will never change and you have to learn to accept that. My best bud is 4'11" and a size 0. But on her it looks healthy and natural. Plus she eats like a horse. Me at a size 0 I would look sick.
  • Dol10
    Options
    I believe people can be big boned. my cousin and I are almost the same height (shes 4'10 & im 5'0) and she ranges between 90 lbs and 103 lbs. I will NEVER get that small. shes very small. even I was to get to 100 lbs id have big bones lol. I look good about 160 lbs.

Weight is relative to the amount of muscle. My 200 pound self a year ago was a lot bigger than my current 195 pound self today because I work out heavily and weight train.

1 pound of muscle is nearly 3 times smaller than 1 pound of fat.

A pound is still a pound but it matters on how it's distributed. So your theory is incorrect. You just have a higher body fat percentage than your cousin.
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I've said this before and I'll say it again...there is no such thing as "big boned". I'm an archaeologist, I've seen many skeletons, studied a lot of physical anthropology. There just isn't a whole lot of difference, unless of course you are a Neanderthal.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Whether its real or not has nothing to do with how much fat is on your body. Even still...the average weight of the adult human female skeleton is only around 20 lbs. For a large man its only around 30. It still shouldn't impact scale weight more than a few lbs.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

You may want to double check that. Unless you are stacked with muscle, 5' and 160 would be considerd obese. Not trying to hurt your fellings or anything, just facts.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    527662_290654134362502_213672622060654_665314_78012387_n.jpg

Focus on cutting body fat and making your "body frame" look the best it can on your frame. The size of your bones has nothing to do with the fat covering your organs. Don't talk yourself into becoming delusional about your weight and settle for a goal because it's hard.
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I like big bones :tongue:
  • rml_16
    Options

You may want to double check that. Unless you are stacked with muscle, 5' and 160 would be considerd obese. Not trying to hurt your fellings or anything, just facts.
    If she thinks she looks good at 160, good for her. A lot of people like being larger. I'm 5'3" and at 166 and size 12, I looked awful. The BF liked how I looked. I was miserable. Because of how I carry my weight, I didn't look as big as I was, but I WAS that big.

I need to be somewhere between 100-120.

People are also very skewed about what a healthy weight/size is these days.
  • Dol10
    Options
    People are also very skewed about what a healthy weight/size is these days.

Depends on what is socially acceptable in whatever region you live in is what people strive for.

But in reality, just stick to what the doctor says. :-)
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Bone grows and remodels based upon the load put on it. Not the other way around. You get big bones from having big tissue be it adipose or muscular. Big bones do not cause big tissue. Twinkies cause big tissue which causes big bones.