Anyone else "big boned"?

Options

Replies

• RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Huh, just found out I'm small/medium boned. Well that's my excuse out the window.
  • AliciaNineteen72
    Options
    I have had a weight problem all of my life. I have always been told I was big boned. Well...I am! . I was almost 9lbs. at birth! I wear size 12 in women's shoes! I have very large hands for a women, but when I did lose all of my weight, and there was no fat left on me, I was a size 8/10, but people thought I was too thin. They actually thought I was anorexic and I never got lower than 140. Frame does make a difference, but I'm 5' 7" (and hoping to lose all of this weight I've gained back!) so I believe it is possible to meet your goal.
  • AliciaNineteen72
    Options
    Where in the world do you get this info??? Do you have an article or something to support this because from my life experience and watching my family and others....I do not see this to be true at all! Sorry, did that wrong and didn't quote. This was in response to jhtellas' comment.
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where she got her info from but she's 100% right. Lots of physical anthro studies look at this because it can give some clues as to what people did for a living (e.g. hunting vs gathering), but it's shorter term than you might think. You can be a "hunter" all your life (and thus we'd expect thicker leg bones) and focus on gathering/seed grinding as a geezer and it's the latter that would show up more prominently post mortem.
    Where in the world do you get this info??? Do you have an article or something to support this because from my life experience and watching my family and others....I do not see this to be true at all! Sorry, did that wrong and didn't quote. This was in response to jhtellas' comment.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I've read something about "frame size" and target weight that is based on your wrist measurement (the thickness of your bones?). My wrist measurement puts me in the "large frame" category, but my weight is listed as a "small frame" weight. I don't think it makes that much of a difference... maybe 5-10 lbs. You might consider being on the upper end of your healthy weight range if you think you have "big bones" but you're still perfectly fine smack dab in the middle, or even at the bottom, and it's certainly not an excuse to be overweight.
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    I have a borderline large frame, but I've never been larger than a size 8 (and that was only for a few months). I'm a 2 in this pic.
  • mjl54
    mjl54 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as big boned it has been disproven many times. there is however different size frames large,med and small but that doesn't mean ones boes are actually a different thickness.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Yes! I am 5'7" and if I weigh what the AMA claims I should weigh, I look anorexic and have bones sticking out everywhere. If I even go below 170, I am not even comfortable when I lay down in bed because my bones are sticking out. Even at 170, I am borderline skinny looking, despite being in a size 10 or even 12 sometimes. Noone believes that I weigh waht I do because I carry it well and have broader shoulders and hips.

I'd be really interested to see pictures of your bones "sticking out" at 5'7" and 170.
  • manique45
    manique45 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I used to think that. I have a wide rib cage and I wear a size 10 shoe. I also have very broad shoulders. Then I lost weight. Still have huge feet...but now I'm a 4/6. DEBUNKED!

I really wonder if this is me.... I have large shoulders and seem to be wide just in general... I'm on my weightloss journey but wonder if I will ever be smaller than a size 8 my smallest ever.... I was 17 yrs old now I'm 28...
  • maundrelle
    maundrelle Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Heh, I just calculated.. I am 5 feet tall and my wrist size is 6.2"... so i have a freakishly large frame for my height :)

I have always known this. As a teenager, I had an eating disorder because I thought I was "fat".. because I didn't look like the ideal 90's woman.. i.e. someone like Kate Moss with tiny wrists and ankles. The truth was, I was underweight for a long time but I never saw it. Looking back now, I'm like.. "what the hell was I thinking"?

Which just goes to show how much your self image can have an affect on you in reality.

But anyway, good to know that I was on track with my ideal weight calculations.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I suspected I was not because I've always had small wrists. When that long post with small, medium and large ranges showed up i tried that thing:

rounding up to 5'3" from 5'2.75" with a wrist size just shy of 6 inches...

111-124 is my goal weight range. That makes sense why I felt good weighing 118 for so many years.
  • patk613
    patk613 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! I have a larger, Big Boned frame. I wear a size 10 shoe & I also have large hands. When I need a pair of winter gloves I have to go to the mens department & usually get a medium size. The fingers in womens gloves are too short & the width of the hand is too narrow. Even when I was a size 10 in clothes, I still needed the mens gloves. I am 5'7" tall. I have finally figured out that being big boned doesn't always mean being HEAVIER in weight than I should be. So far I'm down 5 pounds! YEA!!
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I am a 6" tall female. I have been told many times I have big bones. Now here is the deal. My wrists are small and my hands are long and lean. I can carry a lot of extra weight (thought I hate it) and not look as heavy as someone else weighing the same thing. Just because you have big bones does not mean you can't be skinny. I went overboard a long time ago and got down to 140 lbs. I have worn a size 4/5 many times. My grandmother thought I was sick and asked me if I was getting enough to eat. I was so skinny people were concerned for my health. After that I gained some weight back and then more now I have to lose a lot. You don't always know your goal weight when you reach it. But at the same time you don't have to go to an extremes to be thin. Find a goal weight you are comfortable with. Today my goal weight is 40lbs heavier than 140 lbs I weighed back then. I assure you I will be quite thin at that weight.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Based on medical information from a family member (GP/OBGYN) I was told there is such thing as different bone size/frame size.

I am 5' 7 in and weight (last time I was on a scale) am 178 lbs. I wear a size 10 jean (loose) and a size 8.5 shoe. My wrist is 7in around...I have a large frame.

I at my smallest was a 5/6 and my weight was 165 (all muscle as I was in the military at that point).

I can weigh less (in grade 12 I was 127 lbs and a size 8...

So big boned/large frame is a reality but that doesn't mean we can't be a small size it is all about muscle vs fat density and how much we carry of each.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I believe people can be big boned. my cousin and I are almost the same height (shes 4'10 & im 5'0) and she ranges between 90 lbs and 103 lbs. I will NEVER get that small. shes very small. even I was to get to 100 lbs id have big bones lol. I look good about 160 lbs.

You may want to double check that. Unless you are stacked with muscle, 5' and 160 would be considerd obese. Not trying to hurt your fellings or anything, just facts.
    If she thinks she looks good at 160, good for her. A lot of people like being larger. I'm 5'3" and at 166 and size 12, I looked awful. The BF liked how I looked. I was miserable. Because of how I carry my weight, I didn't look as big as I was, but I WAS that big.

I need to be somewhere between 100-120.

People are also very skewed about what a healthy weight/size is these days.

I agree, I think it's great to have confidence and feel good about yourself. I was actually just offering some facts to help her out. 5'0" and 160 is not a healthy weight for someone who isn't a body builder. It's just into the obese range of BMI. I'm not saying she should go for 90 pounds and look belemic either nor was I trying to make fun of her or make her feel bad. I weighed 299 pounds when I started on MFP. I am 6'11" and need to be about 235, currently at 255, so trust me I am not here to make people feel bad about themself.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Big bones don't cause your stomach to roll over the top of your pants, or cause your upper arm to wave in the wind...
  • patk613
    patk613 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Some of what you say is true...however, the frame sizes are just a little different for some people. Example: my hands are very large for a female. Even when I was much younger (20's) I was a size 10 and I had to go, and still do) to the mens department for winter gloves because the fingers in womens gloves are way to short & the width of the hand is way to narrow. I can just squeeze my hand into a womens large size, but I usually have the seams ripped within a matter of a few days. This being said, we still need to work diligently on obtaining the correct weight for our body frame.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Yes to a certain extent I have a larger chest cavity and my hands are farily large and I wear a size 13 shoe im about 5'11. but again I just used it as an excuse see above post.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Instead of worrying about all this nonsense, why not just focus on getting to a certain body fat % so that you're healthy and looking the way you want to look. Then all the BS about scale weight doesn't matter at all, as it shouldn't.

It helps to have performance and strength goals to focus on rather than some arbitrary scale number.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Bone grows and remodels based upon the load put on it. Not the other way around. You get big bones from having big tissue be it adipose or muscular. Big bones do not cause big tissue. Twinkies cause big tissue which causes big bones.
    So my best friend who has never been overweight in her life but has very broad shoulders and large wrists doesn't really have very broad shoulders and large wrists?

I'm not saying that it's an excuse to be obese. But the BMI scale (yes, I understand it's an average, yada, yada, yada) gives people a 40-pound range of possible healthy weights.