If you have food senstivities/allergies, what are they?

Options
We have several in our family, dh, eggs & lactose, dd (17) Gluten, just became intolerant this summer) Me: corn, OAS (ragweed & birch pollen)
It makes cooking interesting. So what issues do you have?

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Raw onions, garlic (cooked or raw), cinnamon (I also hate that stuff and even the smell makes me nauseated) and to some extent chocolate, specially chocolate chip cookies.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    In my house we have celiacs (gluten) tree nut allergies, dairy intolerance and some minor issues with apples, pears, broccoli and cucs.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Pineapple. Pretty easy to avoid.
    No other known food allergies/sensitivities/intolerances in my household.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm mildly allergic to egg whites and celery. I can eat them but not often and in small quantities. I get nausea and mild hives from eggs, and an itchy mouth from celery. My mother is allergic to guava, but that's pretty easy to avoid.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I have an Allergy to Gluten (Ciliacs disease).
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Gluten allergy for me and possibly my son who needs to be tested imo, my daughter reacts badly to mint which is almost worse than gluten. Mind you I have been dealing with the gluten issue for so long that it is second nature. Mint is in so many things and does not need to be listed. Then there is the problem of finding toothpaste, mouthwash, lip balm, etc.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    For me, it's grains, although rice doesn't always kill me. Hubby and I both avoid most sugar, as he's T2D and I'm T2D in remission.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    ki4eld wrote: »
    For me, it's grains, although rice doesn't always kill me. Hubby and I both avoid most sugar, as he's T2D and I'm T2D in remission.

Same with the grains.....minimal rice....no more than a small serve once per fortnight or there are unpleasant tummy effects. Nightshade veggies do a number on me but I have Lupus so I guess that is the issue.

TBH I think I struggle with a lot of foods other than just the staples of fresh veg, fruit and meat and even then I cannot repeat the same foods more than twice in week without feeling an increase in pain or an outright flare of symptoms.....

Oh and when tested I found that I reacted to all but 1 of the things they tested for animals, plants etc.....it sucks as I always thought that allergies got less as we aged but at 53 I'm worse than ever for sneezing, itching and asthma type wheezing.
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to shell fish, but clams, mussels, and oysters are okay. I think it may have something to do with the iodine but I'm not allergic to that either( used in my previous surgeries). I also have lactose sensitivity but I continue to eat ice cream because it taste good of course...lol I now avoid peanuts because my daughter is allergic.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant (mildly), hypoglycemic (mildly), and things like peanuts, peas, capsicum and mushrooms do not sit at all well with me.

I'm allergic to the canola plant (evil yellow flower), cigarette smoke, and dust mites.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    Diary. Lactose intolerance so you don't want to be around me if I ate ice cream a half hour later.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Shellfish. Possibly gluten but haven't been tested.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Two nephews and my brothers girlfriend and an uncle allergic to kiwi.
    Another nephew allergic to milk and soy.
    My mother is allergic to cilantro can't even be around it.
    My brother can't have much of anything without upsetting his stomach.
    I'm allergic to Guar Gum. Which is also in beauty products. Possibly allergic to shellfish but I haven't confirmed, not a fan so I just don't have it and use it as an excuse to not have to eat it.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i have crohns disease and according to my panals i have a sensitivity to- wheat, barley, rye, chicken, all potatoes, green beans, wax beans, mustard, all dairy from both cow and goat.. and 14 other things i can't remember. i eat all that stuff.. as far as the intolerance some of that stuff flares me up a bit but not enough for me to cut it out (yet) actual allergies nothing but basically every tree shrub and bush that grows in arizona.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to shell fish, but clams, mussels, and oysters are okay. I think it may have something to do with the iodine but I'm not allergic to that either( used in my previous surgeries). I also have lactose sensitivity but I continue to eat ice cream because it taste good of course...lol I now avoid peanuts because my daughter is allergic.

For those that are Lactose Intolerant, Breyers makes a LF ice cream that is pretty good.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    We have several in our family, dh, eggs & lactose, dd (17) Gluten, just became intolerant this summer) Me: corn, OAS (ragweed & birch pollen)
    It makes cooking interesting. So what issues do you have?

Gluten, Probable dairy (but I can't seem to give it up long enough to find out), corn, soy, ragweed, pollen, mold, pet dander, grasses, trees...basically everything except what I can clean out of my house!!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    My kid was allergic to milk, nuts, and eggs. Now, she is only allergic to nuts. Eggs were kind of the worst. Eggs are in pretty much everything! The nuts are easier to avoid, especially when dining out, b/c people are much more aware of nut allergies, and restaurants are more vigilant about nuts in food.

We ate mostly at Chipotle for fast food (no eggs), and Mexican food seems to have very little eggs. I sent her to school with mini M&M packs for celebrations (cookies, cupcakes, cakes were off limits). She had to get her flu shot at the allergist's office, b/c the flu vaccine is cultivated in an egg mixture. Luckily, she only had a very mild skin reaction.

We just learned to live with it; she's out grown most of the allergies. It is a big relief.
  • 883xlsportster
    883xlsportster Posts: 221 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Lactose intolerant only. Weird thing is I grew up on a dairy farm and had milk daily all my life. Noticed the problem about 6 months ago.
  • amberskc718
    amberskc718 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I can't eat blackberries or strawberries because they upset my stomach. And pineapple and kiwi make my mouth bleed sometimes.