Eating clean?

Options

Replies

• suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    To mean the phrase is open ended, but generally means no refined sugars, no processed food, no white flour (ie, processed food), etc.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    suzan06 wrote: »
    To mean the phrase is open ended, but generally means no refined sugars, no processed food, no white flour (ie, processed food), etc.

No pie!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It means different things to different people and is basically a useless trendy term, IMO.
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Totally subjective, but I do think the term was derived from the whole crossfit/paleo culture originally. It is has evolved to incorporate a lot of different types of food. But I think most people would agree that at least at the most basic level it means no processed, packaged, fast foods. But as someone said earlier, dairy to a vegan, not clean...

For me, clean eating means lean meats, legumes, fruits and vegetables. But that's just like, my opinion, man...
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    suzan06 wrote: »

No pie!!

I'm out
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    toe1226 wrote: »
    Totally subjective, but I do think the term was derived from the whole crossfit/paleo culture originally. It is has evolved to incorporate a lot of different types of food. But I think most people would agree that at least at the most basic level it means no processed, packaged, fast foods. But as someone said earlier, dairy to a vegan, not clean...

For me, clean eating means lean meats, legumes, fruits and vegetables. But that's just like, my opinion, man...

The term "clean eating" has been around a lot longer than that. I first remember hearing it from Tosco Reno's "Clean Eating" magazine although to be fair, the paleo diet and crossfit had been started by then but I don't think it gained popularity untl much later.

A good read on the topic
    http://wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Just avoid anything that tastes good or brings you any joy.

Yeah, like fresh, red, ripe, strawberries. Like crisp, green, asparagus spears sautéed in fresh garlic and olive oil. Like a medium rare juicy steak ,grilled and succulent. Like a hot baked potato with butter and salt. Like a bowl of mixed, roasted salted nuts including pecans, filberts, cashews, pistachios, brazil nuts and almonds. Real joyless and crappy tasting endeavor it is, eating clean.

Like pizza, cheeseburgers, tacos, and macaroni/cheese. I make those all at home and they taste good and bring loads of joy.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Just avoid anything that tastes good or brings you any joy.

Yeah, like fresh, red, ripe, strawberries. Like crisp, green, asparagus spears sautéed in fresh garlic and olive oil. Like a medium rare juicy steak ,grilled and succulent. Like a hot baked potato with butter and salt. Like a bowl of mixed, roasted salted nuts including pecans, filberts, cashews, pistachios, brazil nuts and almonds. Real joyless and crappy tasting endeavor it is, eating clean.

Just about every one of those things would be considered "unclean" or "bad" by adherents to different eating styles (paleo, vegan, keto, etc.). Which further proves what a vague, ambiguous term "clean" is. Me, I'd eat every one of them.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    toe1226 wrote: »

The term "clean eating" has been around a lot longer than that. I first remember hearing it from Tosco Reno's "Clean Eating" magazine although to be fair, the paleo diet and crossfit had been started by then but I don't think it gained popularity untl much later.

A good read on the topic
    http://wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/

That's a great article. I particularly like the bit where it talks about how you can't judge the parts of the diet without knowing the whole, and you can't even judge the whole diet without knowing the person's health and goals. That's something that so many people just don't get.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Homemade bread?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    kajalpoit wrote: »
    Hi all!

Im new to MFP and was wondering if someone could explain what 'clean eating' involves and do you have an open diary as i would love some support and advice.
    Thank you xx

OP as you may have gleaned, clean eating is a vague term with variable definitions and can be a polarizing topoc on these boards. I'm wondering if you could elaborate on why you asked about it to begin with and what your goals are, since you said you were new to MFP. Providing more details about your goals are, what types of.food you eat, etc may help people give you more specific and helpful advice.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Like pizza, cheeseburgers, tacos, and macaroni/cheese. I make those all at home and they taste good and bring loads of joy.
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Just about every one of those things would be considered "unclean" or "bad" by adherents to different eating styles (paleo, vegan, keto, etc.). Which further proves what a vague, ambiguous term "clean" is. Me, I'd eat every one of them.

Well, well then. Maybe these contributions have helped our friendly fitness pal OyChihuahua better understand why clean eating need not be tasteless and joyless. Especially when he's so kindly helping out new MFPers who are looking for help with the broad and ambiguous terms like clean eating.

That some would call each of those things not clean eating is a good reason for someone like OP not to worry about what's clean or not, since there's no answer and it's not meaningful anyway, and to simply focus on how they think is a good way for them to eat.

I mostly focus on cooking from whole foods, with some additions like smoked salmon or dried pasta or oats, that I find helpful and tasty, and I consider dairy and legumes and some whole grains (including locally-grown corn when in season) a tasty part of a healthy diet so I certainly don't follow paleo rules. I think worrying about whether I can really call that "clean" (I couldn't, IMO) is unhelpful and pointless. But I also think that it's an overall healthy diet is something that's helpful and makes sense to think about.

In a way focusing on "eating clean" is a diversion from a focus on what really matters for nutrition. Saying "oh, my, cottage cheese comes in a carton so can't be "clean" and thus I must not eat it" isn't a particularly sensible way to think about food. If you don't like cottage cheese, insert some other food you like.
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Homemade bread?

Depends? Local organic wheat that you grind yourself on stone? :)
  • NotGnarly
    NotGnarly Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Like everyone said clean eating idea initial depends on who you ask. I eat certified organic ingredients about 98% of the time. I make majority everything from scratch such as cheesecake, chili, jambalaya, chicken Alfredo etc. We rarely eat out because the food we make at home taste way better and it's cheaper.

We eat whole foods and avoid gmos, msg, high fructose corn syrup, processed foods, and artificial sweeteners. My kids and husband do sometimes eat those things but it's rare and I'm not the food police. Eating this way takes away my cravings and my hunger signals stop me from eating excessively.

Someone somewhere said that you can eat all the cake you want but you have to make it from scratch with all natural ingredients. My organic homemade cheesecake takes about 3 hours to make, so I only make it about once every couple of months.

Sorry for the long post but certified organic whole foods, no msg, no high fructose corn syrup, no gmo, no artificial sweeteners is my personal definition of clean eating.
  • NotGnarly
    NotGnarly Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the sentences that don't make sense. My phone is going crazy on the autocorrect and inserting words that don't make sense lol.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    joinn68 wrote: »
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Homemade bread?

Depends? Local organic wheat that you grind yourself on stone? :)

Nope. Now you've gone and "processed" that wheat, ruined the whole thing. :D
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    While I consider myself to have "cleaned up" my diet, I do not consider myself a clean eater. Here's how these guys define it: http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/food-health/food-and-health-news/what-is-clean-eating/

I'm about 75% clean according to that list. While I do avoid ultra processed foods with dozens of ingredients, I think limiting yourself to foods with only two ingredients on a label is silly.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    While I consider myself to have "cleaned up" my diet, I do not consider myself a clean eater. Here's how these guys define it: http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/food-health/food-and-health-news/what-is-clean-eating/

I'm about 75% clean according to that list. While I do avoid ultra processed foods with dozens of ingredients, I think limiting yourself to foods with only two ingredients on a label is silly.

that article recommends eating six meals a day to burn calories, that is a myth that has been debunked.

why is farmed fish not clean????

why is organic food clean but non organic not clean?