Eating clean?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - you do not need to eat "clean" (whatever that is) to accomplish your goals.

Here is my suggestion.

Eat to the number that MFP gives you to lose weight.
    Make sure that you get adequate nutrition from vegetables, fish, rice, fruit, etc.
    Realize that you can also eat and enjoy calorie dense foods like ice cream, pizza, cookies, etc, just make sure that you are in your calorie target.
    make sure that you are hitting macros = protein, fats, carbs. I would recommend .6 to .85 grams of protein per pound of body weight; .45 grams of fat; and fill in rest with carbs.
    get a food scale and weigh all solids.
    find a form of exercise you enjoy; I would recommend strong lifts or all pro beginner routine.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    So if you made your own salad dressing, then shaking it would be processing it (a process like griding wheat flour). Wait, the olive oil could not be processed
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    While I consider myself to have "cleaned up" my diet, I do not consider myself a clean eater. Here's how these guys define it: http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/food-health/food-and-health-news/what-is-clean-eating/

I'm about 75% clean according to that list. While I do avoid ultra processed foods with dozens of ingredients, I think limiting yourself to foods with only two ingredients on a label is silly.

Somewhere they linked not eating ham or bacon or foods with sodium in it. I mean, seriously, I think the general idea is silly. Look above for silly and salad dressings. OP if you understand your goals and what you want from food you'll be less likely to 'need a list' of approved items. Best of luck.

• cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    This was a huge duscussion on a Weight Watcher forum that hurt some feelings. I eat mostly whole, mostly plant based, and mostly organic or locally produced. And I put it all in my tracker on MFP.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, fitness and nutrition cannot be condensed into objective little checklists that everyone can just neatly follow and miraculously get in great shape. There are too many subjective factors at play, and the best thing you can do is run away from lists like “10 foods you should never eat”, “Eat these 5 things to be healthy”, etc.

If clean eating is the pursuit of food that is high quality, I think that is a good endeavor. Define food quality as you would any other product in your life – you make decisions everyday about the cost vs. benefit of paying more for something, and you generally get what you pay for. With food, that extra quality may mean food that doesn’t contain steroids, antibiotics, pesticides, food coloring, or other additives that do little more than make the food last longer on the shelf or appear prettier. If this is important to you, pay more and eat foods that are organic or some variation of “natural”.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    "Eating clean" is totally subjective. Most of the time it seems to be just sticking with whole foods rather than processed foods, sticking to the "outside" ring of a grocery store where its produce and meat and dairy rather than the "inside" where it is boxed and canned processed foods. If you have a tin-foil hat handy you can add on top of that avoiding "GMOs" or whatever other flavor-of-the-day food conspiracy you wish to subscribe to.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    kajalpoit wrote: »
    Hi all!

Im new to MFP and was wondering if someone could explain what 'clean eating' involves and do you have an open diary as i would love some support and advice.
    Thank you xx

You'll get so many different answers to your questions but the reality is all the same, the universal truth behind clean eating is eating foods that a wholesome and from the earth, in its natural form. If your a veggie that wouldn't include meat, if your a vegan that would be meat and animal products.

But it's still whole food you're eating.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Our general rule of thumb for "eating clean" is would our great grandfathers recognize/pronounce these ingredients.
    So:
    Homemade mac & cheese - clean; Kraft blue box - not clean
    Homemade bread - clean; in a plastic sleeve - not clean
    etc etc.

We of course don't always achieve it, but we at least try.
  • KaylaMurphy95
    KaylaMurphy95 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Is organic skim milk clean? Curious.

If you're going to go for milk, I would go for whole. I follow this rule In pretty much every area of food--I never go "fat free" or "sugar free." Reason being, when fats are taken out, other toxic ingredients are added in. To me, the shorter the ingredient list, the better.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

If you're going to go for milk, I would go for whole. I follow this rule In pretty much every area of food--I never go "fat free" or "sugar free." Reason being, when fats are taken out, other toxic ingredients are added in. To me, the shorter the ingredient list, the better.

None of the ingredients are toxic.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

What toxic ingredients do you think are added to skim or reduced fat milk exactly? Or any food for that matter?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

What toxic ingredients do you think are added to skim or reduced fat milk exactly? Or any food for that matter?

Must be that evil Monsanto. They poison everything, you know.

:rolleyes:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

None of the ingredients are toxic.

Also, nothing is added to skim milk.
  • elite_nal
    elite_nal Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    As long as your overall macronutrient totals (protein, carbohydrates and fats) as well as your micronutrient needs (vitamins, minerals, antioxidants etc.) are being met for the day, it doesn’t matter which specific foods you consume in order to meet your totals. That’s it.

Your body does NOT view your nutrient intake within the context of individual food items.
    1 chicken breast, 1 cup of rice and 1 bowl of Fruit Loops are not seen as separate entities. The body can’t say “that’s a chicken breast”, “that’s rice”, “those are Fruit Loops”. In addition, it doesn’t say “those first 2 items are healthy and clean” and “that last item is unhealthy”.

What does the body actually recognize? 468 calories, 36 grams of protein (broken down into individual amino acids), 70 grams of carbs, 6 grams of fat (broken down into individual fatty acids) as well as an assortment of fiber and micronutrients all mixed together in a giant blob of chewed up goo.

The truth is that bodybuilding nutrition is really just a numbers game.
  • ndj1979
    Options

please list said toxins that are in these foods...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    elite_nal wrote: »
    As long as your overall macronutrient totals (protein, carbohydrates and fats) as well as your micronutrient needs (vitamins, minerals, antioxidants etc.) are being met for the day, it doesn’t matter which specific foods you consume in order to meet your totals. That’s it.

Your body does NOT view your nutrient intake within the context of individual food items.
    1 chicken breast, 1 cup of rice and 1 bowl of Fruit Loops are not seen as separate entities. The body can’t say “that’s a chicken breast”, “that’s rice”, “those are Fruit Loops”. In addition, it doesn’t say “those first 2 items are healthy and clean” and “that last item is unhealthy”.

What does the body actually recognize? 468 calories, 36 grams of protein (broken down into individual amino acids), 70 grams of carbs, 6 grams of fat (broken down into individual fatty acids) as well as an assortment of fiber and micronutrients all mixed together in a giant blob of chewed up goo.

The truth is that bodybuilding nutrition is really just a numbers game.

cosign
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posts that have mentioned that homemade versions of some foods are quite different than commercial versions when considering the topic of "eating clean".
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I agree with the posts that have mentioned that homemade versions of some foods are quite different than commercial versions when considering the topic of "eating clean".

which has nothing to do with clean vs unclean
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Others have already stated in this thread that eating clean can be subjective (such as chicken being unclean for vegetarians), so I would say it can depending on who you ask.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Or weight loss.

In that I don't like Kraft mac and cheese and love homemade mac and cheese, I will agree they are different. Sadly, the stuff I like has many more calories, so homemade or not, clean or not (who knows what clean means), it still doesn't usually fit in my day. (On Thanksgiving, sure!)