Options
Hi,
What made you lose weight and why?
I'm really needing motivation tonight lol

Replies

• DawnUrbanski
    DawnUrbanski Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've lost 60. My motivation was how much I hated seeing photos of myself and my boys are getting to the age where weddings and grand babies could be in my future. Wanted to be healthy for those reasons. Good luck, it's hard but so worth it!
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I looked like a blob and because I have paralyzed calf muscles and wear leg braces. The weight was going to send me to a wheelchair way too quick.
  • Jdc021
    Jdc021 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I had a general medical and got sent medicine for diabetes type 2 the next day. I already did a lot of sport. It was unacceptable. I lost 9.3 kg and was off the medicine in three months and reading normal. And I am never going back on it. The problem is now getting balance back into my life.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,521 Member
    Options
    Motivation is internal. You either have it or don't. You can be inspired by what others do, their successes, their encouragement, etc., but if you flat out aren't wanting to do it, all of the above doesn't matter. You gotta want it bad enough to make it happen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • RebekahRN83
    RebekahRN83 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    #1 Up for a job promotion and would much rather be giving presentations throughout the state at a healthy weight.
    #2 Plus the closet full of smaller clothes that are way cuter than what I was able to wear at a large size is a fun incentive
    #3 not going to get any younger and I want to decrease my chances of having medical problems like high blood pressure and diabetes (currently I don't have any medical issues)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    A year ago or so, I decided it was time to get back to the weight I was a decade ago. So I did.
  • willisbehavin
    willisbehavin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've recently quit smoking and after being out of the army for a decade I would love to get back to the shape of my service days. I don't think I'll be doing any runs in full combat gear. Nope. Nope. Nope.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    OMG I never realised how bad I looked.
    I really wanted to do everything my vacations offered.
    I didn't want to be another nana that couldn't roll around the floor with my grandson.
    I had made it to 60 without a health problem- why encourage one by being out of shape and over weight.

Basically, I want to be the best I can be.

Cheers, h.
  • smelbo
    smelbo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I hated trying on clothes. I was wearing stuff that was too small, or out of date cause I didn't want to spend the money on new ones and look like a blob in them. Being overweight was ALWAYS on my mind, and my reminder was every mirror I looked in. I started to avoid having my picture taken. There was no real last straw, just a bunch of them. I just want to be healthy now. I am in the healthy BMI range and feel alot better and more confident now that I have lost weight.
  • brianlundlarsen
    brianlundlarsen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Back in 2008 I bet my boss that I could run 5 km in under 30 minutes, loser buys beer for the whole department. I stopped smoking, started C25K, dropped 15 kg and completed the 5K in 29:30 - then had beer :)
  • OkieFitness
    OkieFitness Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Walking through the fair, seeing a former coworker who motioned to my gut and mouthed, "What happened?!" Big trigger! Funny thing is I really didn't give a hang what she thought - but it was like a tipping point for me. I've been in good shape most of my life but now middle age combined with laziness in exercise and eating habits were taking its toll. Time to take action and set goals. 30 lbs before my birthday March 1st. 7 pounds down!
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    For me the turning point was realizing my life was the pits in every aspect mainly due to the anti-psychotics I had been taking (incorrectly diagnosed).....against Dr's orders I stopped all meds and started therapy.....worked better for me.

Without the tablets though, it was as though I finally woke up and saw how fat I had gotten (278 lbs @ 5' 5")....I was just distraught at the thought of the long road ahead. After a small but intense pity party, I started walking...a lot.
    and.....
    I stopped the mindless eating. Thank God my desire to eat all the sugary, high fat (thus huge calorie) foods waned too. Kept up with smaller portions and intensified my activity. I started feeling better about myself, suddenly proud of what my body could do, even in my late 40's.....

Few years back Hubby got on board with wanting to lose weight and found MFP....we both joined in 2011 and have been here ever since, it helped shift the last of my weight and I finally reached my goal of 110 lbs.

I have to say the ability to log accurately and keep a watch on my intake has convinced me that is has been my saving grace for keeping up with maintaining that loss for the last 3 years.

Now at 53 a lot has changed. I developed Lupus and I can no longer exercise like I used too. After another intense pity party I changed my regime and now rely on strength training, Yoga, Tai Chi, resistance bands and such this has been especially important due to breaking my back last year and developing osteoporosis.

No doubt life will change again....my favourite companions on this wild ride have been patience and persistence and the desire to be the very best me I can be.....whatever the outer circumstances.

• ekruska802
    ekruska802 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I went to 2 family events, about 6 months apart. A relative posted a bunch of photos on fb the first time, and I looked horrible in them. The worst, I think, was due to a very weird angle. The second time - different dress, different odd angle, still very bad. A friend of mine shed about 15 lbs doing MFP, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I figured at worst I'd stay the same. After 75 days, which isn't that much, I'm lighter, faster, and my clothes fit better.
  • xGracieGirlx
    xGracieGirlx Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My entire life my family has picked on me for one reason or another. The most often used insult has been my weight. There have been a few key moments in my life that made me realize I needed and wanted to change. A big one was when I was younger and Fear Factor was a thing, I had my mom make an audition tape with me to be on the parent/child episodes. One of the things she said killed me. "You always have model thin people on your show. Why don't you pick this flabby, fat, duo this time?" I didn't have the heart to actually send it. I've pushed myself to lose weight ever since.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Motivation is internal. You either have it or don't. You can be inspired by what others do, their successes, their encouragement, etc., but if you flat out aren't wanting to do it, all of the above doesn't matter. You gotta want it bad enough to make it happen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    My entire life my family has picked on me for one reason or another. The most often used insult has been my weight. There have been a few key moments in my life that made me realize I needed and wanted to change. A big one was when I was younger and Fear Factor was a thing, I had my mom make an audition tape with me to be on the parent/child episodes. One of the things she said killed me. "You always have model thin people on your show. Why don't you pick this flabby, fat, duo this time?" I didn't have the heart to actually send it. I've pushed myself to lose weight ever since.

Dear @xGracieGirlx reading your post broke my heart on your behalf. No-one has the right to treat anyone this way let alone a Mother who is given the honour of having a precious life to look after. She broke a sacred bond between you and it is just as appalling for the rest of your family treating you as a second class citizen.

I spent a life time with a cruel Mother and I have worked hard to break the chains of abuse from her and the others in my family too. For my sake I moved far away and made the decision to cut all ties with them and it was the healthiest thing I could ever have done. Don't believe for one second anything your Mother says about you in spite. It isn't true.

Make your goals just that - Yours. Be the best, healthiest and happiest you ever.

Please get support and counselling if you feel that would be helpful.....

I wish you health, happiness and fulfillment....take good care of yourself as your certainly deserve it.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @HippySkoppy for many reasons you have my <3 ,
    You are brave and caring.
    Cheers, h.
  • amandatapar
    amandatapar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I was at the highest weight I had ever been at, was so tired and sluggish, and nothing fit anymore. I had lost weight before getting pregnant with my 14 month old. I lost 83 pounds before. So I know I can do it again. In 11 weeks I'm down 38.2 pounds and only have 51.4 pounds til my goal weight. I feel so much better eating healthier.
  • Matt71Fleming
    Matt71Fleming Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Illness last year was a wake up call for me.I lost weight then gained it all back again.I felt sluggish and bloated all the time and could see myself falling into old habits again so decided to change my outlook on life.Changed my diet and began exercising again.Best decision I've made in years.Good luck to anyone starting out.Its not easy but if you stick with it when everything inside you is telling you to quit you'll feel terrific.
  • TxLisa251
    TxLisa251 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Started to get a muffin top in my biggest pants and clothes shopping was depressing. I didn't want to buy bigger clothes..Started exercising without regard to diet, but I didn't lose any weight. Found MFP and learned that diet is critical. Dieting was harder for me than getting myself to exercise. Now, the weight is coming off, and that's a huge motivation. :)