IIFYM opinions

Options
Does it lead to results? Or eating disorders? What're your guys opinions?

Replies

• orsolya_kiss
    orsolya_kiss Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Can lead to both... IIFYM is all about flexible dieting, however many of us takes it too serious (guilty as charged)..
    It can lead to real results, either if your goal is losing, maintaining or gaining weight. Just make sure you stick to your macros, and if you go a bit over any of them don't panic, just eat those extra macros :wink:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    The only strong correlation I've noticed so far is that it can lead to bad misunderstandings during Internet discussions.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    The only strong correlation I've noticed so far is that it can lead to bad misunderstandings during Internet discussions.

This!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    It's bogus because it can be unhealthy. Eating snickers bars is not the same as eating eggs and healthy fats for example.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Heh.

Depends on your goals and how you use it. I don't think macros matter that much for most people (although if you don't eat much protein you may find it helpful to focus on getting more and changing up food choice can help with satiety in general). But when people are just starting out and maybe don't feel like they know what they are doing it can be a nice way to structure things. Personally I think just eating a healthy diet is more significant, but I think some find it motivating to focus on some things beyond calories that they can track.

For people focusing on more specific or elite goals might it make more of a difference? Maybe -- protein probably does, for muscle -- but it seems humans are good with a huge range of macro mixes and IIFYM doesn't prescribe any particular ones.

I like it best as a form of flexible dieting -- to balance a concern for getting a sensible balance of macros that work for you and on eating healthy/micros but not taking it to an extreme of saying every food choice must be justifiable as the most nutritious. If, on the other hand, you feel like you are freaking if you don't hit macros perfectly, probably a misunderstanding or not the best approach for you. JMO, though.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Like lemur said, depends on what you need. My BFF just got diagnosed with diabetes. Macros are DEFINITELY something he needs to pay attention to. Me? Not so much, as outside of the poundage, I haven't health issues otherwise. Though it never hurts to make sure you're not filling your calorie goal with, like, eight twinkies.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I think the idea behind it is good, as long as it's not taken to the extreme. I like how it proves that eating pizza and ice cream is perfectly fine every now and again as long as it's not taken to the extreme and that these foods won't kill you, but I also feel your diet should consist of more than just these sugary foods. Yes, you could lose weight on these foods, but eating nothing but sweets probably won't fill you and will leave you feeling tired and who knows what kind of deficiencies you could develop later down the road.
    Everything in moderation!
  • saitiffeh
    saitiffeh Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    It has worked fine for me. I try and fail to completely kick sugar. I instead learn to live with it in a healthy manner. I don't worry abut going over on proteins (I have never gone over on carbs), but sugar is the important one for me to stick to. But IIFYM has taught me to eat what I like, but how to reduce it and add in other and healthier options. For example I can make homemade hamburgers and eat them, but I can change how I cook it, the beef I use, and my side dish. Also I have learned about important things like "not everything needs ketchup and/or mayo" haha. Basically, it is acting as a stepping stool into a healthier lifestyle. When I eventually reach my weight loss goal I will continue to log using IIFYM.
  • hokagenoob
    hokagenoob Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    saitiffeh wrote: »
    It has worked fine for me. I try and fail to completely kick sugar. I instead learn to live with it in a healthy manner. I don't worry abut going over on proteins (I have never gone over on carbs), but sugar is the important one for me to stick to. But IIFYM has taught me to eat what I like, but how to reduce it and add in other and healthier options. For example I can make homemade hamburgers and eat them, but I can change how I cook it, the beef I use, and my side dish. Also I have learned about important things like "not everything needs ketchup and/or mayo" haha. Basically, it is acting as a stepping stool into a healthier lifestyle. When I eventually reach my weight loss goal I will continue to log using IIFYM.

Hahah so true ! I need to learn how to lay off on the sauces!
  • hokagenoob
    Options
    hgycta wrote: »
    I think the idea behind it is good, as long as it's not taken to the extreme. I like how it proves that eating pizza and ice cream is perfectly fine every now and again as long as it's not taken to the extreme and that these foods won't kill you, but I also feel your diet should consist of more than just these sugary foods. Yes, you could lose weight on these foods, but eating nothing but sweets probably won't fill you and will leave you feeling tired and who knows what kind of deficiencies you could develop later down the road.

It's an eye opener to how one meal can take up all ur cals for the day! Thanks for ur feedback:)
  • hokagenoob
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Heh.

Depends on your goals and how you use it. I don't think macros matter that much for most people (although if you don't eat much protein you may find it helpful to focus on getting more and changing up food choice can help with satiety in general). But when people are just starting out and maybe don't feel like they know what they are doing it can be a nice way to structure things. Personally I think just eating a healthy diet is more significant, but I think some find it motivating to focus on some things beyond calories that they can track.

For people focusing on more specific or elite goals might it make more of a difference? Maybe -- protein probably does, for muscle -- but it seems humans are good with a huge range of macro mixes and IIFYM doesn't prescribe any particular ones.

I like it best as a form of flexible dieting -- to balance a concern for getting a sensible balance of macros that work for you and on eating healthy/micros but not taking it to an extreme of saying every food choice must be justifiable as the most nutritious. If, on the other hand, you feel like you are freaking if you don't hit macros perfectly, probably a misunderstanding or not the best approach for you. JMO, though.

As a flexible diet, true. I hate how u have to sacrifice the good junky foods for the healthy more volume foods but hey! Its all good B) thanks for ur feedback!:)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Hear hear!
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    If you actively use MFP's food diary, then you're following IIFYM to some extent. It's worked pretty well for me.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    hgycta wrote: »

people who follow IIFYM do not just eat sugary foods all day.. there is no way a person could meet their protein macros by eating donuts and pizza all day. you don't have the correct understanding of IIFYM if that is what you think.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

+10000
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

what eating disorder could IIFYM possibly lead to????
  • hokagenoob
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Binge eating was my main point. That is why I am asking, to hear peoples stories of iifym
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Clearly if they didn't explicitly write down that it isn't healthy, it has to mean eating whey powder, poptarts, canola oil, and a GNC once daily multi-vitamin is healthy.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Binge eating was my main point. That is why I am asking, to hear peoples stories of iifym

Why should eating normally leat to binge eating?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

I don't see what specifically about IIFYM could lead to a binge disorder.