IIFYM opinions

Options
2»

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Does it lead to results? Or eating disorders? What're your guys opinions?

what eating disorder could IIFYM possibly lead to????

Some individuals get just as rigid about their macros as other people do about foods being clean or unclean. Think of every thread we've seen someone that is afraid of eating at a restaurant because they won't be able to weigh their food. That's disordered thinking about food shoved into an IIFYM world.

That said, I think IIFYM is probably less likely to lead to disordered eating for most people. At the very least, it removes moralizing terms like clean from the discussion of food.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Binge eating was my main point. That is why I am asking, to hear peoples stories of iifym

Why should eating normally leat to binge eating?

that was my thought too ...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Some individuals get just as rigid about their macros as other people do about foods being clean or unclean. Think of every thread we've seen someone that is afraid of eating at a restaurant because they won't be able to weigh their food. That's disordered thinking about food shoved into an IIFYM world.

That said, I think IIFYM is probably less likely to lead to disordered eating for most people. At the very least, it removes moralizing terms like clean from the discussion of food.

interesting, however I disagree on the clean thing, as most people that are clean eaters tend to think that IIFYM is eating donuts and pizza idea, so do not really see the correlation there.

As far as the food scale thing, I would view that more as an obsessive compulsive thing as opposed to an IIFYM thing; as a lot of non-IIFYM'ers can get narcotic about the food scale...
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

interesting, however I disagree on the clean thing, as most people that are clean eaters tend to think that IIFYM is eating donuts and pizza idea, so do not really see the correlation there.

As far as the food scale thing, I would view that more as an obsessive compulsive thing as opposed to an IIFYM thing; as a lot of non-IIFYM'ers can get narcotic about the food scale...

I think the point @senecarr was trying to make is that IIFYM and clean eating in theory could both lead to disordered thinking about food, but for most people, it would be more likely that clean eaters would develop the disordered thinking (such as orthorexia) due to labeling foods as "bad".
  • senecarr
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I think the point @senecarr was trying to make is that IIFYM and clean eating in theory could both lead to disordered thinking about food, but for most people, it would be more likely that clean eaters would develop the disordered thinking (such as orthorexia) due to labeling foods as "bad".
    Exactly my point.
    I'd say the person who absolutely, positively has to meet their macros to the gram has disordered, orthorexic eating. If someone is worried they have to eat a pop tart because otherwise their carb grams will be off that day and that means all their protein eaten that week was a waste because they'll go anabolic overnight, they have somewhat different, but just as bad issues as someone that is a clean eater and thinks eating a single pop tart will lead to diabetes.

I find it sidesteps the issue of moralizing food with terminology like clean, but disordered thinking is disordered thinking. Having anxiety about what you did or didn't eat is an issue, whether you're worried because it was unclean or because it exceeded your fat macros.
    I think Jason Blaha has a decent, but maybe overstated point about it in this article:
    https://content.tigerfitness.com/iifym-new-eating-disorder/

I would even say there are some instances where IIFYM could have a worse effect on some people. IIFYM starts with a rational, evidence based reasoning for its recommendations. Knowing that could make it easier for someone to justify their disordered eating under IIFYM because they believe it is rational to weight out every ounce of potato with portable jeweler's scale at a restaurant.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    If you actively use MFP's food diary, then you're following IIFYM to some extent. It's worked pretty well for me.

Even if low carbbing.
  • senecarr
    Options
    But, I'm going to say, this isn't likely to be true for 99.9% of people out here.
    In my completely non-scientific, biased recollections of times on MFP, I can think of 1 person in a thread who actually rigidly believed in getting his macros right to the gram everyday. I think the people who start threads about carrying a scale into a restaurants are touching on it, but most of them realize the issue. And full disclosure, I myself made a "do people actually take scales to restaurants" thread not because I intended to, but because it sounded like some people took their weigh everything advice that hard.
  • senecarr
    Options
    If you actively use MFP's food diary, then you're following IIFYM to some extent. It's worked pretty well for me.

Even if low carbbing.

Low carbing, when tracking foods, is a form of macro tracking. It wouldn't be following the normal guidelines most IIFYM's guides recommend, and a person might not follow most IIFYM's recommendations of starting with a whole / minimally processed foods base.
  • hokagenoob
    hokagenoob Posts: 78 Member
    Options

Binge eating was my main point. That is why I am asking, to hear peoples stories of iifym

Why should eating normally leat to binge eating?

More like would* xD because for some people that freak out if they go 5 more over they tend to binge. Well from YouTube video experiences that I've watched.
  • hokagenoob
    hokagenoob Posts: 78 Member
    Options

Thank you for clearing that up for everybody!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Well, I would say I'm sort of an IIFYM person, but by this I mean:

1. I have a calorie goal I consider very important to come at or under
    2. I have a protein goal I consider moderately good to come in at or above
    3. I don't care about the rest.

Sure, if you went neurotically overboard with IIFYM you'd end up in a bad place, but I think it's better than trying to worry if a potato is "good" or "bad".
  • senecarr
    Options

Thank you for clearing that up for everybody!

No problem. If a person has issues with foods, IIFYM's is a dieting plan for body composition, not a therapist or other mental health professional. People can and do use all kinds of things to justify and hide bad relationships with food: some anorexics become vegan to hide their not eating, some people call some foods addictive and try to follow a lifetime elimination similar to drug and alcohol rehab, some people think foods are unclean because of some kind of processing but that it would be ok if they did the same cooking to it themselves at home, and some people follow IIFYM and worry about how to cut a peanut in half to meat a fat macro.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

Not necessarily. You can use MFP's diary to track what you eat, without worrying about meeting macro goals.

I use MFP's food diary to track what I eat, but I think the idea of eating a set percentage of your calories from each macro is pretty silly. I need a certain number of grams of protein per day, and the number of grams doesn't change depending on whether I'm trying to stick to 1500 or 1600 calories gross to create a bigger cushion for a major holiday feast in a few days (if anything, research suggests my protein grams should go up during those lower-calorie periods to conserve muscle mass, while IIFYM theory would suggest I eat less protein on those days, because 20% of 1500 is less than 20% of 1900) And when I'm eating however many calories on the day of the holiday feast (something north of 2800, almost certainly), I don't suddenly need 20% of my 2800 calories to be protein. I like turkey and ham and roast beef, but that's not what's getting me to (and past) 2800 calories on Christmas.

Same for fat--I need a certain number of grams, regardless of how much I'm eating. I don't particularly worry about that, since the days when I don't go over what I consider my minimum fat goal by dinner time are pretty rare.

And I absolutely don't care how many carb grams I get. It tends to be between 150 and 300, but I don't waste any time worrying about it.

I focus on calories, and hitting gram targets for protein and fiber. At the end of the day, I usually check my micronutrients, and I might take a multivitamin if things don't look good.

I guess you do have to not be bothered by an app scolding you with red numbers. Doesn't worry me. MFP isn't my doctor, my priest, my boss, or my mother.

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Not necessarily. You can use MFP's diary to track what you eat, without worrying about meeting macro goals.

I use MFP's food diary to track what I eat, but I think the idea of eating a set percentage of your calories from each macro is pretty silly. I need a certain number of grams of protein per day, and the number of grams doesn't change depending on whether I'm trying to stick to 1500 or 1600 calories gross to create a bigger cushion for a major holiday feast in a few days (if anything, research suggests my protein grams should go up during those lower-calorie periods to conserve muscle mass, while IIFYM theory would suggest I eat less protein on those days, because 20% of 1500 is less than 20% of 1900) And when I'm eating however many calories on the day of the holiday feast (something north of 2800, almost certainly), I don't suddenly need 20% of my 2800 calories to be protein. I like turkey and ham and roast beef, but that's not what's getting me to (and past) 2800 calories on Christmas.

Same for fat--I need a certain number of grams, regardless of how much I'm eating. I don't particularly worry about that, since the days when I don't go over what I consider my minimum fat goal by dinner time are pretty rare.

And I absolutely don't care how many carb grams I get. It tends to be between 150 and 300, but I don't waste any time worrying about it.

I focus on calories, and hitting gram targets for protein and fiber. At the end of the day, I usually check my micronutrients, and I might take a multivitamin if things don't look good.

I guess you do have to not be bothered by an app scolding you with red numbers. Doesn't worry me. MFP isn't my doctor, my priest, my boss, or my mother.

Or you can just use grams instead of a percentage of calories to determine fat and protein goals for the day.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Even if low carbbing.

Low carbing, when tracking foods, is a form of macro tracking. It wouldn't be following the normal guidelines most IIFYM's guides recommend, and a person might not follow most IIFYM's recommendations of starting with a whole / minimally processed foods base.

Any macro tracking approach could or could not follow most IIFYM recommendations, tbh.
  • senecarr
    Options

Even if low carbbing.

Any macro tracking approach could or could not follow most IIFYM recommendations, tbh.

Yeah, it could or it could not, that's a basic binary statement C3P0, but does it hold true in Bacchi?
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    lol @senecarr That really made me laugh. :)