Options
2»

Replies

• andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Rachel0778 wrote: »
    With ironman training especially, it would be beneficial for you to meet with a sports nutritionist to learn how to properly fuel your workouts. I would hate to see you put in all this work and then get injured during training or hit a wall during the event because of poor continued nutrition. Most health insurance plans cover nutritionists with a small co-pay so it's pretty reasonable.

Yup, someone I know got pulled after the swim part of the 2015 Ironman Triathlon World Championships as he was sick. What a shame.

I'm always sick during the bike leg of a triathlon, I often feel extremely sick during and just after a hard swim session. I think I have probably been lucky just getting tired and have been able to see I'm doing something wrong, I have started to alter my foods, I will continue to learn and alter for a month then arrange a nutritionist. I'm in the UK how do you find a good one ? one who can relate rather than get the stuff out of a book.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    andysport1 wrote: »
    With ironman training especially, it would be beneficial for you to meet with a sports nutritionist to learn how to properly fuel your workouts. I would hate to see you put in all this work and then get injured during training or hit a wall during the event because of poor continued nutrition. Most health insurance plans cover nutritionists with a small co-pay so it's pretty reasonable.

Yup, someone I know got pulled after the swim part of the 2015 Ironman Triathlon World Championships as he was sick. What a shame.

I'm always sick during the bike leg of a triathlon, I often feel extremely sick during and just after a hard swim session. I think I have probably been lucky just getting tired and have been able to see I'm doing something wrong, I have started to alter my foods, I will continue to learn and alter for a month then arrange a nutritionist. I'm in the UK how do you find a good one ? one who can relate rather than get the stuff out of a book.

They call nutrition the fourth discipline of triathlon for a reason.
    Open your diary.

He said upthread he doesn't log.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Depending on what county in the UK you live in, you might be able to get an NHS referral to a vastly superior Dietician. If you're not lucky enough to live in such a county, then your local GP office will almost certainly have a diabetic nurse with some kind of nutrition training.
  • andysport1
    Options
    ultrahoon wrote: »

Depending on what county in the UK you live in, you might be able to get an NHS referral to a vastly superior Dietician. If you're not lucky enough to live in such a county, then your local GP office will almost certainly have a diabetic nurse with some kind of nutrition training.

More than happy to pay, would prefer to find the best so as to get 100% accurate for me.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    You really should start logging. It will help you know where your gaps are in your nutrition and can be a great tool to hand over to a nutritionist when you start seeing one.

You can't know what to fix if you don't know what's broken.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Is this your first iron man? How long have you been doing triathlons and have you ever done a half ironman?
    I ask because my son ranked high in under 25 triathlons ( BC Canada) then did an iron man and the training and eating were brutal for him. He almost passed out when he finished.
    Subsequent ones he fared a little better, he had a good group of people supporting him.

You really do need to get your food sorted and implemented even before you start hard core training.

Check for a triathlon club in your area, if you don't already belong to one, and get to know a good sports physio.

Cheers, h.
  • andysport1
    Options
    You really should start logging. It will help you know where your gaps are in your nutrition and can be a great tool to hand over to a nutritionist when you start seeing one.

You can't know what to fix if you don't know what's broken.
    Totally agree, started logging today, I will get a few weeks in then go see someone
  • andysport1
    Options
    Is this your first iron man? How long have you been doing triathlons and have you ever done a half ironman?
    I ask because my son ranked high in under 25 triathlons ( BC Canada) then did an iron man and the training and eating were brutal for him. He almost passed out when he finished.
    Subsequent ones he fared a little better, he had a good group of people supporting him.

You really do need to get your food sorted and implemented even before you start hard core training.

Check for a triathlon club in your area, if you don't already belong to one, and get to know a good sports physio.

Cheers, h.

Into tri since 2008, never done IM I'm usually flat on the floor for at least 20mins whatever the distance, no one can ever accuse me of not trying. I am in a club, half the trouble is your competitors won't help you even if they are in the same club. We have several gold medallists in our club and even though I'm stepping up to IM distance the word is they are proper scared of me beating them. 3 years ago I was pushing 20 hours a week training currently I can only manage about 10 hours, my new year schedule is 5 hours swim, 10-12 bike, 4 hours run with 2 hours gym. I'm usually in the top 5 in the swim, top 10 on the bike very dependant on the course, then the run goes to pot, but no one in our club know that because I never log my times. If I'm not going to finish in the top10 I don't bother finishing, just walk round the finish line.