Confession: Throwing Away People's Homemade Treats

Options

Replies

• Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    As for feeling guilty about throwing food away...pfft. Never. And I'd never eat a homemade food item that some rando off the street brought into my place of business. The idea of that is just really weird to me. "Hello stranger, have the 5 remaining cookies from the plate that my cubicle made gave me. The plastic wrap wouldn't cling right so I've attached it with binder clips. You can keep the clips. Merry Christmas!"

Agreed, it might be a cultural thing but most businesses in my area would also frown on outside homemade food from a stranger for the same reason. And in Minnesota, due to freezing weather around this time of year, you don't see homeless people on the streets and there are not outdoor homeless encampments. I understand and appreciate your sentiment with giving, but there are limitations.
  • tristen_leigh
    tristen_leigh Posts: 214 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    susan100df wrote: »
    Persimmons are delicious raw. As I said before, I've never had them in pudding form. Our grocery store has them once in a blue moon and I'm always sure to get one at those times. They look like orange tomatoes with really hard leaves (like in the picture above.)

As for feeling guilty about throwing food away...pfft. Never. And I'd never eat a homemade food item that some rando off the street brought into my place of business. The idea of that is just really weird to me. "Hello stranger, have the 5 remaining cookies from the plate that my cubicle made gave me. The plastic wrap wouldn't cling right so I've attached it with binder clips. You can keep the clips. Merry Christmas!"

LOL! That's exactly what I was thinking. Same thing if you showed up at a nursing home or hospital. There's no way the staff would serve homemade baked goods that a stranger dropped off to the residents/patients.

All the teachers I know toss the baked goods they receive from their students. When I heard that, I started giving them gift cards for coffee or classroom supplies instead of food.

What a shining example of the world we live in. I hope those who "pffft never" feel guilty don't ever have to experience a situation where you can't feed yourself or loved ones. Maybe then you'd reconsider.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Persimmons are delicious raw. As I said before, I've never had them in pudding form. Our grocery store has them once in a blue moon and I'm always sure to get one at those times. They look like orange tomatoes with really hard leaves (like in the picture above.)

LOL! That's exactly what I was thinking. Same thing if you showed up at a nursing home or hospital. There's no way the staff would serve homemade baked goods that a stranger dropped off to the residents/patients.

All the teachers I know toss the baked goods they receive from their students. When I heard that, I started giving them gift cards for coffee or classroom supplies instead of food.

What a shining example of the world we live in. I hope those who "pffft never" feel guilty have to experience a situation where you can't feed yourself or loved ones. Maybe then you'd reconsider.

Time to put your high horse back in the stable. I give money and food to groups that help feed others. I don't believe that my cast off leftovers are anything to feel bad about.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options

What a shining example of the world we live in. I hope those who "pffft never" feel guilty have to experience a situation where you can't feed yourself or loved ones. Maybe then you'd reconsider.

Time to put your high horse back in the stable. I give money and food to groups that help feed others. I don't believe that my cast off leftovers are anything to feel bad about.

You spoke what I was quietly thinking....well done.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options

Yup!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Rachel0778 wrote: »
    64crayons wrote: »
    If I had ANYone to give the food to, I would have. I don't feel good about throwing away food, but I feel good about getting things out of my house that aren't good for me.

There are no places of business around you? Neighbors? Nursing homes? Homeless shelter/women's shelter/animal shelter volunteers? I can't imagine.

And I probably shouldn't have even opened this thread.

There are plenty of shelters, they don't take homemade donations for fear of food safety/contamination

I've known food banks to not. But not shelters. Right now I'm giving out Victory bars to homeless folks. I just didn't enjoy them.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

My MiL sends hubs back with a bag of persimmons every year. I adore them!!! (raw)
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    If I had ANYone to give the food to, I would have. I don't feel good about throwing away food, but I feel good about getting things out of my house that aren't good for me.

There are no places of business around you? Neighbors? Nursing homes? Homeless shelter/women's shelter/animal shelter volunteers? I can't imagine.

There are plenty of shelters, they don't take homemade donations for fear of food safety/contamination

I've known food banks to not. But not shelters.

It must depend on the organization, just like anything else.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I've known food banks to not. But not shelters.

It must depend on the organization, just like anything else.

Probably.
  • tristen_leigh
    tristen_leigh Posts: 214 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Definitely no high horse. My mother and I lived on very little food for a part of my life so it's personally difficult for me to wrap my head around throwing food away without a care.

Never said people aren't giving to groups. That's not the point. But the conversation was steered from someone who said they threw an entire cake away to cast off leftovers... There is quite a difference.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    lamkini wrote: »
    Just a confession: I throw away the homemade treats all my co-workers make and foist upon me throughout the holiday season. And I don't feel bad about it. I've got goals.

Today's treat: some kind of caramel brittle or something. Looked great.

Okay. Do what you feel you need to do.
    I'd probably feel that I could say no or just eat at least part of it if it looked good.

I've thrown food away before that I couldn't finish in a reasonable amount of time or didn't want even if it was homemade. I didn't really feel bad. I did realize that others may feel somewhat troubled over getting a bunch of baked goods or candy as gifts from me and stopped making large amounts of these things as gifts to reduce waste.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Why take it home only to throw it away. That doesn't make sense. Leave it for some one else.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    no one gives me treats i guess im lucky...?? :s:)

but anyway do what you want op or just let people know you dont want treats so they dont bother
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    no one gives me treats i guess im lucky...?? :s:)

but anyway do what you want op or just let people know you dont want treats so they dont bother

I think if everyone started saying no maybe people will cut down bringing the stuff in. If many people are secretly binning the stuff what's the point
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    OP, I don't think you have anything to feel bad about. I'm sorry people, but it's not like the person who made the treats came and said "I took these from some starving people, please take one". Or even "here have a cookie; if you don't want it I'll give it to a homeless person." I mean really, come on. Some people just need to complain about others? IF I HAD to take something, and had no option to say "no thanks", I would have no issues throwing out sugary crap that I don't want. Plain and simple. That does NOT equate to me wanting people to starve to death. Give your head a shake people.

However, I would always try to opt for the "no thanks" approach. Usually people don't even need an excuse. The simple statement that you're not interested is usually enough.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    OP, I don't think you have anything to feel bad about. I'm sorry people, but it's not like the person who made the treats came and said "I took these from some starving people, please take one". Or even "here have a cookie; if you don't want it I'll give it to a homeless person." I mean really, come on. Some people just need to complain about others? IF I HAD to take something, and had no option to say "no thanks", I would have no issues throwing out sugary crap that I don't want. Plain and simple. That does NOT equate to me wanting people to starve to death. Give your head a shake people.

However, I would always try to opt for the "no thanks" approach. Usually people don't even need an excuse. The simple statement that you're not interested is usually enough.

To clarify, all I said was that I drive past homeless, practically teenagers, every day. Yes, I do occasionally give them extra food and they do take it because they are actually starving. If you don't live in a big city I guess this option won't apply to you and you can skip over it. Never did I say that throwing out food equates being a sadistic person and wanting other people to starve!!
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I did realize that others may feel somewhat troubled over getting a bunch of baked goods or candy as gifts from me and stopped making large amounts of these things as gifts to reduce waste.

This is an example I wish more people would follow. Well done.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I just peeked in to weave through the flame throwers, high horses and homeless shelters to take all the treats home for myself. I will eat them... all of them.

Too late. I already called them. Second post of the thread.... :D
  • msunat97
    msunat97 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    tough choice to throw it out, but you have to be true to your goals