Confession: Throwing Away People's Homemade Treats

Options

Replies

• blondie_mfp
    blondie_mfp Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    They are yours to do what you want with. But there are a lot of people on the street who are cold & hungry. I'd do a drive by to a local homeless gathering point myself. But that's just me.

when we lived in the city, we did this with ALL kinds of food. baked goods, restaurant leftovers, thanksgiving extras, etc. I used to feel bad giving what I perceived as unwanted food to homeless folks, but my other/better half pointed out that any food is better than being hungry on the street.

if necessary, think about including plastic utensils and maybe a napkin or wet wipe.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    AlisonH729 wrote: »
    Foist upon you, like they're trying to sabotage you. Sure. I hope one of these people finds this out so they never bother to go to the trouble again.

Gifts aren't about what the person does with them after you give them. Isn't it about showing the person you were thinking about him/her and wanted to do something kind? Isn't the majority of the satisfaction in making the other person happy, not in knowing that they got a ton of use out of your gift?

Well sure, in most situations yes. But if you're gifted something you KNOW you won't use (whether you have something similar, it doesn't fit, whatever) there are usually polite ways to tell the gifter that. They did spend money/time on it after all.

In this case it would have been very easy to just say, "Oh boy those look really good, but I'm trying to watch what I eat and I know you probably worked hard on them, so please give them to someone who can truly enjoy them." (Or heck lie to me and say you have an allergy.) But don't take them to be gracious and then just toss them. That made my inner baker mad so I apologize @Lamkini. But now we know it was one piece of brittle, you could have declined, (you could have worked it into your day too if you had wanted) but it's not as bad as chucking an entire box of something.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I live in a city with homeless who are younger than me, coming up to my car every day at intersections asking for food and money...I can't stand throwing out food because of this. If you live in a town or city with less homeless it may not cross your mind, understandable.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    OP great topic. Thanks for being honest! I wish I could throw the food away but it gets brought to work and is left nearby for all to see. I've eaten about 4000 caloriesoff candy this month that I wouldn't have bought.

I brought some pastry home for my son last week and ended up eating 4 at midnight. So, next time I bring food home it may hit the waste bin as well. I would love to say I can freeze it and eat a piece a week, but if that were the case, I wouldn't ever have needed to use MFP. Same with the break room candy. Some things I just need to avoid for now until it's easier to have "just one bite". They aren't trying to sabotage you, but the effect is the same.
  • Ms_Chai
    Ms_Chai Posts: 86 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    OP, if it makes you feel any better. I have personally taken and tossed treats before from my workplace because it didn't fit in my calorie goal for the day.

I have also been the person who brought delicious treats to work and had no one take them because they didn't know what it was. It was persimmon pudding people.....persimmon pudding. WHO doesn't know what persimmon pudding is?!? Anyway, my point here is, that in that situation I would have preferred if they had politely taken a slice and tossed it themselves. Instead, it made me feel like I wasted my time altogether.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Devol82 wrote: »
    I usually throw out the stuff that I am worried about the enviroment it was cooked in lol other then that I just give the stuff away to someone else.

This * 10.

I learned that years ago. One co-worker had her cats all over the countertops in her kitchen and she had cat hair in the dish she brought in to work. Another co-worker never washed her hands when she did #1 or #2 and she was the organizer of all the luncheons. Since those 2 experiences I just eat what people buy in the store or restaurant. :/

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Ms_Chai wrote: »
    OP, if it makes you feel any better. I have personally taken and tossed treats before from my workplace because it didn't fit in my calorie goal for the day.

I have also been the person who brought delicious treats to work and had no one take them because they didn't know what it was. It was persimmon pudding people.....persimmon pudding. WHO doesn't know what persimmon pudding is?!? Anyway, my point here is, that in that situation I would have preferred if they had politely taken a slice and tossed it themselves. Instead, it made me feel like I wasted my time altogether.

I have no idea what persimmon pudding is...
  • CalorieCountChocula
    Options
    Send them to me! I make them fit in my daily calorie allotment, and enjoy the heck out of them!

I get the spirit of this but how do you make them fit if you don't know what's in them? You can guess, which might work fine for you and whatever your current goals are but it is conceivable that someone else might not be able to do that. This is especially true for those struggling to get results who ask for help and are slammed with "stop guessing, weigh everything, tighten up your logging" responses.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

@Ms_Chai are you from Indiana? The only person I know who knows what persimmon pudding is, is from Indiana. (I've heard of it but never seen/eaten it.)
  • Ms_Chai
    Ms_Chai Posts: 86 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

@Ms_Chai are you from Indiana? The only person I know who knows what persimmon pudding is, is from Indiana. (I've heard of it but never seen/eaten it.)

YES! I am from Indiana. That is too funny. I didn't realize it was a local treat.

ETA: So maybe what I thought was a normal dessert really was a freaky, strange one after-all.
  • quiksylver296
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Send them to me! I make them fit in my daily calorie allotment, and enjoy the heck out of them!

I get the spirit of this but how do you make them fit if you don't know what's in them? You can guess, which might work fine for you and whatever your current goals are but it is conceivable that someone else might not be able to do that. This is especially true for those struggling to get results who ask for help and are slammed with "stop guessing, weigh everything, tighten up your logging" responses.

Which is why you are sending them to me... :D

I'm not someone complaining on the boards that I can't lose weight. I own and use my food scale. I know how many calories my body needs to lose and/or to maintain. I can then fit in a guesstimated treat now and then without adverse effect.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I took an unlogged bite of mine before throwing it away. I could have given it to someone but...There was no one around. Do I want to waste 300 calories on a pumpkin muffin baked by a 3 year old (and his nanny) or save that 300 calories for some meat with dinner? Or a dessert of my choice.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

The first time I took a bite of a persimmon I FREAKED out. Mouth feels were insane. I can imagine the pudding being tasty, but not what I'd choose if there was a cookie or brownie next to it.
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options

Never heard of it, but it sound yummy and I would love to try it!
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Oh I am ruthless too. I only want to eat what I really want, period! But here in Sonoma county the hungry are constantly present & visible. They live in camper van villages, bike path overpass nooks & crannies, city parks, creeksheds. They are at multiple intersections. I helped give out 114 holiday food boxes to them at Guerneville on Saturday and lots of them are unwashed, unfocused, unsober... but they have children and grandparents and pets in their care and I'm not worthy to judge. I would just like to think of everyone bedding down with a warm full tummy tonight, and tomorrow night, and the next...
  • CalorieCountChocula
    Options

I'm not someone complaining on the boards that I can't lose weight. I own and use my food scale. I know how many calories my body needs to lose and/or to maintain. I can then fit in a guesstimated treat now and then without adverse effect.

LOL I own and use a food scale too. Many people do. What does this have to do with not knowing what's in something? Did they use 1 stick of butter or 10? 1 cup of sugar or 5?
  • scolaris
    Options
    Oh guesstimating works fine! What the lady said: if you're losing its working...
    I just look for a Paula deen equivalent in the database & figure that's my best worst-case-scenario number. LOL
  • scolaris
    Options
    I never actually cook Paula deen recipes but she's a bloody cultural resource for us calorie counters! Hahaha
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    Oh guesstimating works fine! What the lady said: if you're losing its working...
    I just look for a Paula deen equivalent in the database & figure that's my best worst-case-scenario number. LOL

LOL, I have to use that this year at my Christmas parties...she does go a little overboard on the butter and cream :D
  • quiksylver296
    Options

LOL I own and use a food scale too. Many people do. What does this have to do with not knowing what's in something? Did they use 1 stick of butter or 10? 1 cup of sugar or 5?

Hence the "guesstimated treat" part...

I'm not eating Christmas goodies 24/7. I weigh out my normal foods and guesstimate on the co-worker's treat. Not sure why that's confusing.