Confession: Throwing Away People's Homemade Treats

Options
Just a confession: I throw away the homemade treats all my co-workers make and foist upon me throughout the holiday season. And I don't feel bad about it. I've got goals.

Today's treat: some kind of caramel brittle or something. Looked great.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Send them to me! I make them fit in my daily calorie allotment, and enjoy the heck out of them!
  • Devol82
    Devol82 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I usually throw out the stuff that I am worried about the enviroment it was cooked in lol other then that I just give the stuff away to someone else.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    My trash can is the one that gained 10 pounds from holiday treats this year, not me!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    or, you could just leave them in the office break room ...

• RebekahRN83
    RebekahRN83 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    They either go to waist or waste if they aren't factored into your calorie allotment. I have a coworker who's a size 8 who does the same thing. That might be something I'm going to have to be ok with too (eat some if appropriate and then toss so I don't snack on them later)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    or, you could just leave them in the office break room ...

^^^This or take them home, put them in the freezer and enjoy them piece by piece. Home baking is so much work when it's done in volume.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I give the treats to my boyfriend..you have no sibling, wife, other co worker, anyone that will enjoy them? Kind of wasteful to throw out perfectly good food.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Cool
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Foist upon you, like they're trying to sabotage you. Sure. I hope one of these people finds this out so they never bother to go to the trouble again.
  • RaeB1013
    RaeB1013 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    AlisonH729 wrote: »
    Foist upon you, like they're trying to sabotage you. Sure. I hope one of these people finds this out so they never bother to go to the trouble again.

I agree with this. Wouldn't it be nicer to just say "no thank you"? Or put them in the break room or give them to someone else. How wasteful. Also, how terribly rude. Imagine how horrible it would make the baker feel if they found out you were chucking their stuff? No one is knocking your goals (I haven't had one holiday goodie yet because I have goals too!) but just throwing homemade treats away isn't the best way to achieve them.

• lamkini
    lamkini Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    RaeB1013 wrote: »

I agree with this. Wouldn't it be nicer to just say "no thank you"? Or put them in the break room or give them to someone else. How wasteful. Also, how terribly rude. Imagine how horrible it would make the baker feel if they found out you were chucking their stuff? No one is knocking your goals (I haven't had one holiday goodie yet because I have goals too!) but just throwing homemade treats away isn't the best way to achieve them.

Yes, I do believe you're right, actually. I'll summon the courage to say no next time.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    You're so edgy
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've had times in the past where it is easier on the giver's feelings to throw the food away than to turn it down. It's not like I took it from them and tossed it in the trash as I walked away. I'd take it home or to my office and toss it there.

Right now, I don't have coworkers who give out individual baked good packages. We might put stuff on the table for everybody to try but that's it.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I give the treats to my boyfriend..you have no sibling, wife, other co worker, anyone that will enjoy them? Kind of wasteful to throw out perfectly good food.

I can see your point, but it's not likely that it's going to go to hungry people in need if the op doesn't throw it away. It's just going to go to someone else who doesn't need it.

Gifts aren't about what the person does with them after you give them. Isn't it about showing the person you were thinking about him/her and wanted to do something kind? Isn't the majority of the satisfaction in making the other person happy, not in knowing that they got a ton of use out of your gift?
  • lamkini
    lamkini Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Gifts aren't about what the person does with them after you give them. Isn't it about showing the person you were thinking about him/her and wanted to do something kind? Isn't the majority of the satisfaction in making the other person happy, not in knowing that they got a ton of use out of your gift?

This is a fair and generous point. I do agree. I'll say for clarification here that this wasn't a gift. It was handed out to everyone at their desks from a tupperware container. So depending on your point of view, foisted on you, offered to you, or whatever.

I think the high road is probably assuming the person can take it if you kindly say no, which I was too timid to do. Also worth mentioning they'll never know I threw the one piece away. I've also done this before. A lot of times. I guess I'm a horrible person. I do nice things other times sometimes though.

Didn't mean to get everyone worked up.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I've had times in the past where it is easier on the giver's feelings to throw the food away than to turn it down. It's not like I took it from them and tossed it in the trash as I walked away. I'd take it home or to my office and toss it there.

Right now, I don't have coworkers who give out individual baked good packages. We might put stuff on the table for everybody to try but that's it.

I agree with this 100%. I say a sincere thank you for all the effort and thought that was put into the item. If the item is something I enjoy or that someone else I know enjoys, then it gets eaten. But if it's something that's not up my alley I dispose of it at home. The season about appreciating friends, loved ones, and coworkers around you, not about the food itself.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Since both my husband and I are working together on getting healthy I have started bringing the snacks to my Dad, who then brings them into his work break room. That way no one gets offended. I'm a people pleaser like that :wink:
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I have thrown away a few things that are too much temptation for me, but usually I am able to do fine with dividing those things up into small amounts and eating just a little at a time. I do often put them in the freezer also to make sure it is not just sitting around in sight.

I think it is best to figure out what works for you. Don't feel guilty regifting things, though. That works well for me with non food gifts.

70044776.png
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    So far this year I've had to throw away almost an entire very large cake, and half a dozen donuts. I've given away leftovers of apple pie, pumpkin pie, cheesecake, and cookies. I do NOT want baked goods in my house after the party's over! If I can't give it away, I'm throwing it away. I don't owe it to anyone to eat what I don't want to eat.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    They are yours to do what you want with. But there are a lot of people on the street who are cold & hungry. I'd do a drive by to a local homeless gathering point myself. But that's just me.